Cramps

Options
I noticed the last two days I am having very bad leg cramps and back cramps were added to the mix yesterday. The leg cramps are just while working out and the back cramps are just while stretching (I kind of thought that stretching in part was to eliminate cramping.) I drink 12+ cups of water a day. Keep my sodium under goal.

Is this just from being out of shape and will eventually go away or is there something else I need to be doing?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I notice that if I'm getting a lot of muscle cramps, I need a vitamin supplement. Are you taking any?
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate a bit more on the type of cramp pain? Is it dull or sharp? I used to get cramps in my legs when I was on the ellipitcal for 5 minutes but eventually I think my muscles would warm up and I was fine for the rest of the session. I am not sure about back cramps... I get those when I sit for too long.

So anyway if it keeps happening even when you get into a work-out habit and start to up your endurance..I might have a check up with your doctor.

Hannah
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    In a book that I read called Protein Power they suggested some kind of potassium supplement. When you are dieting and losing weight your body is flushing it out. The result is leg cramps and aches.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do you eat bananas? They are a good source of potasium and healthy too.
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about the potassium thing. Here is a list with foods that have a lot of potassium in them: http://www.essortment.com/food-high-potassium-36046.html

It looks like there are several items on that list that you could eat shortly before working out, and then see if your cramps improve.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I bought some banana's tonight at the store :)
    And yes I do take a daily vitamin!