Sodium for UK people

Options
Hey guys,

Well I have just tried to enter a soup onto my lunch menu (Covent Garden), looked at all the nutritional data on MFP (compared with carton details) and realised that the data had been input incorrectly in the Sodium catagory - basically our sodium content is shown in grams on UK food, but on MFP it is always input in milligrams (i.e. 1 gram = 1000 milligrams). I have changed the ones I have found, but just beware when entering a UK food that sometimes the input is wrong, so try and double check - and update the content if it is different. :)

I'm not sure if its a problems everyone else has noticed, but worth keeping an eye on.

Replies

• JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    this is a good one to keep bumped- lots of people had noticed this- perhaps a piece of advice in general is for everyone to pay attention to the units for all aspects because though sodium seems to be the biggy perhaps there are other nutrients depending on country of origin for food product label (here in Belgium there are not always food labels and finding information on aspects like calcium or potassium or vitamin contents is difficult too!)
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    With you on this, had to do the same to something I had yesterday.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    This is true for a very large amount of UK foods - if you are watching your sodium you must check and edit. It is possible to select 5 items that show 0 sodium and still be over 2500 .. the problem is that the site uses milligrams and many have entered the decimal gram version e.g. 0.4 instead of 400 - the site rounds these so less than 0.5 shows as o and 0.5 to 0.99 shows as 1 at least its easy to fix just x 1000 (shift the point 3 places right). I tried to get Mike to fix it a while ago but no action ensued. There have been a few threads in here before on this - I find it really annoying - it could be easily fixed if teh sodium field in the data just rejected anything with a decimal point.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    it could be easily fixed if teh sodium field in the data just rejected anything with a decimal point.

I hadn't thought of this for an easy fix! I wander why they don't do that!! Well for now I will be keeping on comparing containers to MFP data :smile:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Great tip this - I've gone through a few of the things in the DB that I often eat and fixed the sodium levels. THanks