The New Sodium Guideline 1500 mg Anyone Meeting It?

WomanofWorth
WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been trying; I don't add salt to anything, eat mostly fresh fruit and veggies, a little meat, rinsed any beans that are canned, etc and I'm struggling with the new guidelines. My sodium counts are usually 1600-1900 mg. Anyone else struggling? Any tips or suggestions? Also, I'm wondering if and when MFP will catch up with the new guidelines.

Replies

• Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    where are these guidelines coming from?
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    I've been trying for the last two weeks. Most days I go over by like 200. I have gone a few days where I stayed under. But only on the days that I had the opportunity to make everything from scratch! My down fall is how I season my food. salt is so yummy! LOL. I have been avoiding processed and prepackaged foods as much as possible. Or buy things that say no salt or low salt. And if I go over I try to have a high potassium food, so I don't retain water.

Good Luck!
  • It's difficult for me and I read that article about the increase in strokes among young adults. One of the causes is our sodium intake, I believe this is from the American Heart Association but I'm not sure. You can do a search in the forum because I posted the article a couple of weeks ago. Search for "strokes" and the title was "I thought I would share".

Here's the article: http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/ap/us_med_stroke_younger_victims
  • WomanofWorth
    http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf search sodium. The recommendation is on page 21.
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    I'm having a hard time coming close to the sodium goal. I'm always about 1000-1700 under!
  • WomanofWorth
    Corrine, you're right: The heart assn pushed the USDA to adopt the lower guidelines. Here is what the Heart Assn says about it:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4708
  • WomanofWorth
    Claire, under is good! Most of us run over.
  • genst
    genst Posts: 36 Member
    I am on the other end too, I dont eat enough sodium so I have to try to add more in. I normally cook all my meals from scratch and I dont really add salt only a mixed seasoning if it needs it.
    From what ive seen its the packaged foods that have a large amount of sodium in them so maybe you could try making your own version?
  • claire_b79
    claire_b79 Posts: 101 Member
    Claire, under is good! Most of us run over.

Yes but I have low blood pressure so my doctor is always telling me to eat more salt and drink more water! I thought I was eating a lot of salt. Guess not!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    I thought the 1500 was for African Americans or other races with high blood pressure. Anyway, I am trying to move slowly. Trying to hit the 2000 level. I have cut out canned vegetables so now I guess I have to cut out some processed foods. Darn. My mom is genetic low and my dad genetic high. Can I possibly get a mix and just have perfect blood pressure? I wish. It's great right now at age 35 120/60 so maybe I shouldn't stress about the 1500 and just try and keep it under the old 2500.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    I manage to get anywhere from 800-1400 mg a day. I rarely go over since I've started using dry beans instead of canned, fresh and frozen vegetables instead of canned, and I rarely touch boxed or pre-packaged foods. If I do by chance have something like a veggie burger or tuna burger, I make darned sure that the sodium is less than 250mg a serving.
  • margarita953
    margarita953 Posts: 27 Member
    I don't know what my sodium intake is but I have a feeling it's well above 1500 mg. I've always had a hard time eating a low-sodium diet and I don't eat a ton of processed foods. I figure that if I can make healthy food choices for now, once I have that down I can focus on lowering my sodium intake.
  • I wouldn't be too worried by those numbers justsayit, as long as you drink 8 cups of water a day that amount of excess sodium is very easy for the body to flush.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    My diary is open and I set the limit to 1800 for myself but usually I'm at or under 1500.
    I do a lot of veggies, fruits, etc. I start with fresh, then frozen and if needed, then canned. If I have to do canned, I check the serving size and if the sodium is over 200, forget it. I'll just do without. Some canned foods are now coming out with no sodium added and I look for those, too.
    I also found staying away from canned soups and making my own works better. Same with salsa...I make my own in summer. Not only that, I get more per serving by making my own than the jarred stuff.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    USDA sodium guideline: For about half of the US population, the recommendation now is that the dietary sodium intake be restricted to 1500 mg/day or less. This applies to all adults aged 51 years and older, all blacks, and all patients who have hypertension, chronic kidney disease, or diabetes. Half of the United States has a recommendation now for dietary sodium intake of 1500 mg/day or less. For the rest of the population, the remaining half, the recommendation is that dietary sodium intake be reduced by approximately one third from average current levels to 2300 mg/day

Its really important to limit sodium for overall health. High sodium intake elevates blood pressure, stresses kidneys, decreases capacity of heart to pump efficiently to name a few. I work in the health care business and see patients all the time coming in with heart failure due to sodium binges.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Thanks for the more detail. I knew the 1500 included African Americans and those with hypertension but wasn't aware of the other qualifications.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I am on the other end too, I dont eat enough sodium so I have to try to add more in. I normally cook all my meals from scratch and I dont really add salt only a mixed seasoning if it needs it.
    From what ive seen its the packaged foods that have a large amount of sodium in them so maybe you could try making your own version?

You may not have to add sodium. I don't know exactly how much we need for our bodies to function well, but I am guessing it is less that 1500mg a day. Those numbers are meant to stem the tide of extreme overeating of sodium that marks our culture.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Wow 1500... I'll have to reset my soduim on here. Usually i do pretty good at stay under 2000 but I just started rinsing food off to get rid of the sodium but I don't know how to track it that way... But I gues now I'll keep a better watch on it!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    The Heart foundation here (NZ) recommends 920-2300mg sodium a day, so I would say somewhere around 900mg is a good minimum for health.
This discussion has been closed.