Any ideas what to eat at a Greek restaurant?

Options
I'm going out to eat tonight at a Greek restaurant and have no idea what's a healthy option! It doesn't have an online menu and I'm not really familiar with Greek food.
I've logged the rest of my food for today and I have about 850-1000 cals to play with (I'd like to have a glass of wine if poss!)

I eat anything apart from aubergines (eggplant) and I'm watching my sugar intake. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I love Greek food. Greek salad is fabulous and it's very healthy. Although they do usually use a good dosage of olive oil and salt...so still moderation...but I'd go wit Greek salad, small slice of pita bread with tzatsiki dip which is a cucumber/garlic/greek yogurt dipping sauce. And you'll usually find grill fish/meat on the menu. Mediterranean food is one of the healthiest options you can have when eating out. Enjoy!!!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd do for chicken souvlaki (kebab)
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You could get the hummus with fresh vegetables as an appetizer...Shish kabob - Also, grilled fish kabobs, grilled vegetable kabobs and grilled chicken kabobs...there are tons of salad to order from..just ask for them to go light/skip completely all of the feta and stuff they put on...there's alot of really healthy options..avoid stuff that's in alot of sauce
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Their food can be very caloric. I would recomend the classic greek salad. It has tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, sometimes olives and its seasoned with oregano and oil. Personally, I am pratial to stuffed grape leaves with meat/rice mixture and the tetraziki dip.

This can get very fattening, as many of the dishes are fried.
  • katacha999
    Options
    Greek salad for sure - but careful with the feta and always ask for the vinaigrette on the side. Souvlaki is great - chicken, pork or lamb (gyro) with tziki is good. Sometimes there's extra oil on the pita's. I'd go easy on the pita and focus on grilled meat and salad. You should come out full and not depressed at the calories. :)
  • catofisis
    Options
    Wow! super fast responses! Thanks a lot guys. I like the sound of all of these...might take me a while to choose!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Most good greek places should have a nice choice of fish to choose from...

with that said my favorite is Mousakka (baked eggplant, meat potato and cheese) with a greek salad. Not the low calorie option but the delicious one!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Greek lady speaking here!

Do not miss the Greek salad. We usually just put a little olive oil in it but since you will be eating out it is better you ask them not to put any olive oil so you can control the amount. Greek food is all about vegetables, fish and legumes (ok we eat meat as well but not that much). You could try Briam if you find it which is a dish made of baked mixed vegetables like potato, zucchini etc.
    A Greek would also traditionally eat sardines or anchovies, calamari and grilled octopus with vinegar. Chicken souvlaki is one of the safer choises when you are on a diet.

You'd better avoid the mousaka since it is a calorie bomb! You would also like to avoid the vegetables we fry cook (like zucchini balls, cheekpea balls etc) as they contain a lot of oil and carbs.
  • lindainak
    Options
    Greek! Great tips! Now I just have to find someone who wants to go out to eat Greek....
  • catofisis
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted ideas! I love MFP!

In the end I got a Greek salad starter and a Chicken Souvlaki - they were DIVINE! Plus the oil/vinegar came in bottles so I could control how much I added. Really nice, healthy and filling.

I did go over on calories but that was b/c I was naughty and had 2 glasses of wine and a bit of baclava (and one of my husband's stuffed vine leaves)..

I feel very full right now!