A decent generic Circuit for beginner and intermediates

Options
As a personal trainer, I do a lot of work with those that are new to "gym" type exercising, including weight training, alternate forms of cardio, HIIT training, Plyometrics...etc.

I feel that it's important to promote muscle confusion and keep your clients guessing with regards to muscles. Doing the same thing day after day, week after week can not only reduce results, but it can become tedious for clients and cause them to fall into bad habits. Here is one of the circuits I give to new clients and intermediate clients, now remember, I modify it to fit each client, but essentially this is what I make them do at least once a week (depending on their level) along with multiple other routines. Maybe a few of you will be able to utilize this routine.

Substitutions are very simple, but generally this is all very basic gym equipment and should be available at just about any gym going.

Combo Cardio/Resistance routine

• 5 minute warm-up (PLEASE do this, it's important to be warm for this stuff)
• Stretch all major muscle groups
• 9 exercise circuit (repeat 3 times, 1 minute per exercise)

o Chest press (low weight)
o Elliptical (high effort, high resistance)
o Plank (elbows/toes)
o Shoulder press (low weight, fast reps)
o Dumbbell squat (low weight, fast reps)
o Oblique twists (low weight)
o dumbbell Biceps curl – triceps extension (combo move, low weight)
o High incline run (5 to 7 % incline, 85% max speed)
o Exercise ball crunch
o 1 minute rest between circuits

• 5 minute cool-down
• Stretch
Total time : 45 – 55 minutes

NOTES:

 Form is crucial, speed is secondary but important.
 NO rest between exercises in each circuit (you rest between circuits, 1 to 2 minutes depending on your level)
 The focus should be speed (after form), heart rate should be highly elevated throughout the routine.
 The placement of each exercise is essential. Don't switch the order around. If you are going to substitute, substitute with
something that has a similar level of intensity and speed, and works the same muscle groups.

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    thanks nola. I didn't know how this would be taken. I think people just beginning don't feel like they can "handle" something like this, and while modification may be necessary, if you are otherwise generally healthy and have been cleared by a doctor to exercise it's absolutely something people of all fitness levels can do. A bit of experimentation with speeds and weight might be necessary, but other than that, it's very basic and really effective as not only a cardio workout but also a full body resistance workout.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I can do all of that except the elliptical, incline run and exercise ball crunch at home. I have stairs, maybe I'll run them instead of elliptical, and a steep driveway...can run that for incline run, and normal crunches instead of exercise ball. Need something I can do with my personal gym at home - dumbells and weight bench.

I can make it work!
  • elfie9863
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I do a lot of work with those that are new to "gym" type exercising, including weight training, alternate forms of cardio, HIIT training, Plyometrics...etc.

I feel that it's important to promote muscle confusion and keep your clients guessing with regards to muscles. Doing the same thing day after day, week after week can not only reduce results, but it can become tedious for clients and cause them to fall into bad habits. Here is one of the circuits I give to new clients and intermediate clients, now remember, I modify it to fit each client, but essentially this is what I make them do at least once a week (depending on their level) along with multiple other routines. Maybe a few of you will be able to utilize this routine.

Substitutions are very simple, but generally this is all very basic gym equipment and should be available at just about any gym going.
    Thanks...I have been really struggling with the gym thing. The people working there are NOT very user friendly, but it's the only gym in town.
    Combo Cardio/Resistance routine

• 5 minute warm-up (PLEASE do this, it's important to be warm for this stuff)
    • Stretch all major muscle groups
    • 9 exercise circuit (repeat 3 times, 1 minute per exercise)

o Chest press (low weight)
    o Elliptical (high effort, high resistance)
    o Plank (elbows/toes)
    o Shoulder press (low weight, fast reps)
    o Dumbbell squat (low weight, fast reps)
    o Oblique twists (low weight)
    o dumbbell Biceps curl – triceps extension (combo move, low weight)
    o High incline run (5 to 7 % incline, 85% max speed)
    o Exercise ball crunch
    o 1 minute rest between circuits

• 5 minute cool-down
    • Stretch
    Total time : 45 – 55 minutes

NOTES:

 Form is crucial, speed is secondary but important.
     NO rest between exercises in each circuit (you rest between circuits, 1 to 2 minutes depending on your level)
     The focus should be speed (after form), heart rate should be highly elevated throughout the routine.
     The placement of each exercise is essential. Don't switch the order around. If you are going to substitute, substitute with
    something that has a similar level of intensity and speed, and works the same muscle groups.

I

I broke my shoulder last summer and have a couple issues with that...but I usually just forge ahead with things if I can do it, I just do it. I usually do the leg curls first, 3 sets of 12 at about 40 to 50 lbs...then I hit the shoulder and chest at about 10 to 20 lbs. That takes me about half an hour. Then I either do one hour of elliptical (still pretty hard), treadmil (at about 4 mph) or bike. By the time I am done I am pretty tired.

I am just hoping that this is working. I know I feel much better (except for occasional shoulder squeaks). I lost about 11 lbs in the one month I have had the gym. Sticking to a low(er) carb diet and try to work out a minimum of 4 times a week, sometimes more.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might improve this routine. I would so love to have a personal trainer, but the snots at the gym charge $50 per hour and from what I have seen, would rather be somewhere else and aren't really interested in anything except goofing around with each other...(lil jerks).:devil:

THANKS for any advice!!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I broke my shoulder last summer and have a couple issues with that...but I usually just forge ahead with things if I can do it, I just do it. I usually do the leg curls first, 3 sets of 12 at about 40 to 50 lbs...then I hit the shoulder and chest at about 10 to 20 lbs. That takes me about half an hour. Then I either do one hour of elliptical (still pretty hard), treadmil (at about 4 mph) or bike. By the time I am done I am pretty tired.

I am just hoping that this is working. I know I feel much better (except for occasional shoulder squeaks). I lost about 11 lbs in the one month I have had the gym. Sticking to a low(er) carb diet and try to work out a minimum of 4 times a week, sometimes more.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might improve this routine. I would so love to have a personal trainer, but the snots at the gym charge $50 per hour and from what I have seen, would rather be somewhere else and aren't really interested in anything except goofing around with each other...(lil jerks).:devil:

THANKS for any advice!!!!

so the idea of this routine is to be able to eliminate the regimented, weight first, cardio second concept, mix everything up, get you a good cardio workout while still giving you a decent moderate resistance plan. This won't bulk you up, but it will increase muscle power somewhat, and it will definitely give you a good cardio burn. It also does more in less time as after doing this you don't need to do the cardio after. In fact, if you CAN do an hour of cardio after this, then either your to advanced for this type of work, or you didn't use enough weight/intensity in it, and you should amp it up a bit for the next time.

This routine is designed to give you short, intense periods of work, and keep changing them so that you never become bored, and never fall into a pattern, which can ruin form and degrade your motivation.

I know all about shoulder problems, I separated my shoulder 7 times in high school, and it still hurts today (20 years later), you just gotta adjust the weight, and work through the stiffness and soreness (unless your rehab phys. says don't do it).
  • elfie9863
    Options
    THANKS!!!!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    self bumping. For all you guys that don't think you can do this, I say try it once. I think you'll be surprised at yourself.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ouch, did it again today. I hurt now. I bumped the weight a little, and went to 9.5 mph (from 8.5 last week) on the treadmill with a 7% incline. Not cool. I was closer to puking at the end then I have been in a long time. But I did it.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    I am always at a loss when I join the gym. I never know what to do with the weights. Thank you for this post!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I am always at a loss when I join the gym. I never know what to do with the weights. Thank you for this post!

don't be intimidated by the gym. Remember, everyone there is as nervous about going as you are, some may just hide it better than you. Smile at people, and acknowledge them to put people at ease, it becomes a much less intimidating atmosphere. Hey, I'm a trainer and I get a tiny bit nervous in a new gym.

Questions like "Will other trainers question my methods?" "does my form look bad, will potential clients shy away from me?" "Do I look stupid doing this?" "Am I doing this right?" "Why is everyone looking at me?"

but you know what? They aren't all looking at you, it's just your own mind playing tricks. Nobody thinks you look bad, trust me. but when they watch you doing this routine, they may be jealous of you. You'll get in two hour's worth of work in 45 minutes and be on your way. Meanwhile that woman who was on the elliptical beside yours for an hour and a half only burned 500 calories and barely broke a sweat.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this circuit a shot... One question - the oblique twists. could you give me a description of this so I know what to do? I have an idea in my mind, where I'm sitting on the floor and using a weight to go side to side, but don't know if that's what this is? I'm going to have to lower the high incline run to a fast walk.. as I can't really run yet. Appreciate you sharing this with MFP-ers, I love to try new workouts.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I'm going to give this circuit a shot... One question - the oblique twists. could you give me a description of this so I know what to do? I have an idea in my mind, where I'm sitting on the floor and using a weight to go side to side, but don't know if that's what this is? I'm going to have to lower the high incline run to a fast walk.. as I can't really run yet. Appreciate you sharing this with MFP-ers, I love to try new workouts.

well first, the oblique twists, if there isn't a machine for them then do this exercise (copy the url I pasted in here and paste it to a new browser window to see it), take a heavy dumbbell or a 10 lb ball or heavier and touch side to side as in this picture, go as fast as possible but maintain form (don't lean back, don't arch your back, keep your feet flat on the floor.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c041_Q7ulig/S7v7pZfE4kI/AAAAAAAABrs/MjgIo9ehywU/s1600/Ab+twist+start.png

Hey, don't say can't, do you KNOW you can't run? Even if it's only for 15 or 20 seconds of the minute. You want to go as hard as possible in this routine, so if you really can't run even a tiny bit, then walk as fast as you can (this is a rhetorical statement, you don't have to answer if it makes you feel uncomfortable). You can do almost anything for 20 seconds. :wink:

Good luck SMarie! I'm pulling for you!
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    bump for later, great starting place!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    gonna give it a TRY.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options

well first, the oblique twists, if there isn't a machine for them then do this exercise (copy the url I pasted in here and paste it to a new browser window to see it), take a heavy dumbbell or a 10 lb ball or heavier and touch side to side as in this picture, go as fast as possible but maintain form (don't lean back, don't arch your back, keep your feet flat on the floor.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c041_Q7ulig/S7v7pZfE4kI/AAAAAAAABrs/MjgIo9ehywU/s1600/Ab+twist+start.png

Hey, don't say can't, do you KNOW you can't run? Even if it's only for 15 or 20 seconds of the minute. You want to go as hard as possible in this routine, so if you really can't run even a tiny bit, then walk as fast as you can (this is a rhetorical statement, you don't have to answer if it makes you feel uncomfortable). You can do almost anything for 20 seconds. :wink:

Good luck SMarie! I'm pulling for you!

Hey Banks,
    the url isn't working for me. Thanks for the workout! I'll give it a try on Monday (I'll be out of town at a swim meet that's why I have to wait!)
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Hey Banks,
    the url isn't working for me. Thanks for the workout! I'll give it a try on Monday (I'll be out of town at a swim meet that's why I have to wait!)

url didn't work? It worked for me, interesting. maybe your browser doesn't show png files? That would be odd though. you sure you copied it correctly?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I highlighted the entire thing, got the little arrow and told it to search with google and it came back saying it didn't match any documents. Tried it with Bing too and got the same message. I'm on IE could that be it? I'll check back Sunday, gotta go pack and pick up kids. Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Yeah, I highlighted the entire thing, got the little arrow and told it to search with google and it came back saying it didn't match any documents. Tried it with Bing too and got the same message. I'm on IE could that be it? I'll check back Sunday, gotta go pack and pick up kids. Thanks!

don't search for it, just put it directly into the url line at the top. it should browse there.