Do shoes make a big difference?

Options
I've been doing a lot of cardio and toning classes lately, and I've noticed that when we do jumping jacks, running in place, and lunges, I feel it the next day in my extensor muscles (the tops of my feet up through my shins) as well as my heels. I'm 5'11", and I wonder if that has anything to do with it, too. I'd really like to take up running soon, but the little I've done leaves me hurting.

Any advice on whether I need more/less support?

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Shoes make a world of difference. Not just for running but for all cardio. Your foot takes a huge amount of stress every day from just walking. Treat them good they are the only one you have.

Go to a good athletic shoe store. In Canada they have lots of RunningRooms and a few here in the states. But some place like that or a local shop that specializes in running.

They are trained to fit people properly.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    if you're already having shin pain and not yet running just doing the in place stuff i would advise that you go get fitted for running shoes.. i went when i started and just bought a pair of New balance shoes that felt comfortable and after running in them a few times was in tears hurting so bad... i found a place in Charlotte called Run for your life that is a specialty running store,, they actually video you running so they can put you in the best shoe for your style... i found out what shoe i needed then i came and found them online at half the price... but they worked and it made all the difference in the world.. good luck...
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing,
    I do the same kind of activities but i feel it more in my knees.
    Might have to splash out and get some good shoes
  • Corinne_Bruce
    Options
    I agree the shoe matters! I'm recovering from a stress fracture because of wrong shoes and too much training. Be careful and get fitted because I had to wear a boot for 3 weeks and it wasn't fun at all.

I hope you feel better!
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I used to have similar problems. Along with well- fitted running shoes, another thing I found that helped was thicker socks. I gave up on cotton athletic socks, opting instead for my luxuriously thick wool hiking socks for cardio sessions. They are very soft and breathable -- I wear them on summer camping trips -- and they feel like clouds. The best part is that they cushion not just the sole of your foot, but other areas prone to pressure, chafing and blisters.
  • Kelly_Pete
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! There is a local place in town that's recommended for custom-fit shoes. I will make an appointment and see what happens. I really appreciate all your advice!