Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Options
I am OBSESSED with Subway's Broccoli and Cheddar soup. In fact, a few restaurants around my area have been serving this soup a lot more lately. I've been trying to look up recipes online for my own good and would like to put a healthy spin on it. The problem is that I see most recipes call for processed cheese. :huh:

Here's the recipe I found on allrecipes. com

* 1/2 cup butter
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
* 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
* 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
* 2 cups milk
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 2/3 cup cornstarch
* 1 cup water

Does anyone have any healthier spins on this sort of soup? Can I make any substitutions?

Replies

• Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • barbosa22
    barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I bought a soup mix for that at a store it was 4.99 but it made like 8 cups of soup. All you add it water. The brand was Bear Creek.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Of course they have to use processed cheese in order for people to love it and want more.

My advice is to just stay away from it---keep searching for a healthier version. Personally, I just like my broccoli steamed and sometimes for a treat I will melt some cheese on top of it or just sprinkle some parmesean on top of it---think of all the calories, carbs, and fat you are saving yourself.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Cheese Soup
    Low Fat Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 quart (4 cups) water
    6 cups broccoli florets
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 (10.5 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Bring 1 quart water to boil in large soup pot. Add broccoli and cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add broccoli and onion mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse blend into small pieces.

Combine yogurt and flour in a large saucepan and mix well with a wire whisk. Add broth and next 4 ingredients and stir well. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until thickened. Add broccoli mixture and 3/4 cup cheese and heat until cheese is melted. Top with remaining cheese and serve.

Recipe makes 10 Servings Broccoli Cheese Soup; Serving Size: 12 ounces

Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 105
    Total fat: 4g
    Saturated fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 12mg
    Sodium: 280mg
    Carbohydrate: 9g
    Protein: 9g
    Dietary fiber: 2g
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    Broccoli Cheese Soup
    Low Fat Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 quart (4 cups) water
    6 cups broccoli florets
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove minced garlic
    1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 (10.5 ounce) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
    3/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
    Bring 1 quart water to boil in large soup pot. Add broccoli and cook for 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add broccoli and onion mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse blend into small pieces.

Combine yogurt and flour in a large saucepan and mix well with a wire whisk. Add broth and next 4 ingredients and stir well. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until thickened. Add broccoli mixture and 3/4 cup cheese and heat until cheese is melted. Top with remaining cheese and serve.

Recipe makes 10 Servings Broccoli Cheese Soup; Serving Size: 12 ounces

Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 105
    Total fat: 4g
    Saturated fat: 2g
    Cholesterol: 12mg
    Sodium: 280mg
    Carbohydrate: 9g
    Protein: 9g
    Dietary fiber: 2g

Wow!! Thank you!! This recipe looks much better. I will definitely be trying this!!!!
  • NinjaPrincess
    Options
    any ideas how to make this without the flour so its gluten free?
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    yeah use some cornstarch in place of it, its just used as a thickener for the soup.
  • takingbackalison
    Options
    I've seen gluten free flour in the store before, Idk how good it is though, I've never tried that
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eating Well has an awesome recipe that is around 150 calories for a 1 cup serving. It has cannelloni beans as the thickener, plus added fiber and protein!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_cannellini_bean_cheddar_soup.html