PCOS + Lower Carb Higher Protein (advise please)

Options
Hi,

Having been reading up on here and many other places, it seems to be the consensus that following a lower carb and higher protein diet seems to be the way to go to help with weight loss when struggling with PCOS.

Currently I am using the MFP settings, as not after a fast weight loss happy with small reductions and to be fair that never happens, even on a VLC (shakes only diet) I was only managing a 1lb a week loss :sad: when in reality on the cals I was taking in it should have been around 3 to 4lb but obviously PCOS etc played a part.

My question is this:

If MFP have put 55% to Carbs 15% to Protein and 30% to fat ratos what would I need to adjust the %'s to?

Any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance:smile:

Replies

• maipai21
    maipai21 Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm curious about the responses to this one as I am a sufferer of PCOS too...
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Ditto
  • aroonie1
    Options
    :smile: Wow, can I relate. Six years ago I was diagnosed first with PCOS, then within six months with diabetes. Already had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I can identify with a small weight loss and don't get discouraged if you find yourself on a seesaw seeing the weight go down and up and back down again. Oh and to top it all off, an underactive thyroid. Anyway you look at it is it a challenge. I'm still trying to find the right combination. Best of luck to you in your weight loss endeavors.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list. Dam our PCOS. I have read all different numbers to as low as 20%. I have no idea though what number the carbs should be or how high to boost the protein. I am a carb addicted so I just started about two days ago to slowly move down my carb number. If any anyone has some suggestions or idea it would be great.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat. I was steadily losing 1.5 pounds a week, even with PCOS. I don't know, it just worked for me.
    Carbs are something you need though, so don't go too low. Carbs give you energy.
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    :smile: Wow, can I relate. Six years ago I was diagnosed first with PCOS, then within six months with diabetes. Already had high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I can identify with a small weight loss and don't get discouraged if you find yourself on a seesaw seeing the weight go down and up and back down again. Oh and to top it all off, an underactive thyroid. Anyway you look at it is it a challenge. I'm still trying to find the right combination. Best of luck to you in your weight loss endeavors.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago and tried all diets under the sun since then, but just love my carbs, but thinking they dont love me :sad: I have grown wiser in my years of dieting and come to the realization that its not gonna go as quick as I liked. But defo would like to see what others think about protein/carb ratios
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Me too!
  • lenwie
    Options
    I had mine set to 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fat. I was steadily losing 1.5 pounds a week, even with PCOS. I don't know, it just worked for me.
    Carbs are something you need though, so don't go too low. Carbs give you energy.

:laugh: couldnt live without carbs 40% sounds reasonable to me though, trouble is carbs are so easy for prep'ing ie sarnies/crackers.cous cous etc for quick lunches at work
  • aarce
    aarce Posts: 20
    Options
    I have PCOS as well, I would be interested in the answer to this too. I was diagnosed about a year ago and was put on birth control. It has helped me SO much!
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mentioned one site said to start with 40% and work your way down
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is challenging but losing weight w/ PCOS is even more challenging :( I was diagnosed w/ PCOS approx. 10 yrs ago and was told to eat a lower carb diet and to exercise but unfortunately I didn't listen until my BP and my health got to a point where I needed to make a decision and get healthy or else. I decided to make some serious lifestyle changes last June and I haven't looked back since. I started exercising - walking and just really moving to start and eating right. Yeah, having PCOS means you should watch your carbs (anything with white flour and sugars especially) but I have generally followed the goals that MFP has set for me and I have seen great results. The key is you have to track EVERYTHING you eat, down to that pat of butter. You also need to exercise AND eat right to lose weight when you have PCOS. One doesn't really do anything w/o the other but when you combination of the two really works. I also take metformin which also has helped. I'm not going to lie this has been tough but considering how much better I feel and how much I have been able to reduce the awful side effect of PCOS it so worth it. I don't get the facial hair, the dark skin patches, the skin tags, the adult acne, the mood swings and depression, I no longer feel physically and emotionally miserable any more. Sure I still need to lose a few more lbs to be considered "healthy" but I'll get there. It's just going to take a little bit longer for me since I have PCOS. My only regret is that I didn't do this 10 years ago but you can't dwell on the past. You can do this! If you need any support or just want to check out my food diary feel free. I don't always eat as well as I should but I try and work it off by exercising if I can. Good luck!
  • lenwie
    Options
    The key is you have to track EVERYTHING you eat, down to that pat of butter. You also need to exercise AND eat right to lose weight when you have PCOS. One doesn't really do anything w/o the other but when you combination of the two really works. I also take metformin which also has helped. I'm not going to lie this has been tough but considering how much better I feel and how much I have been able to reduce the awful side effect of PCOS it so worth it. I don't get the facial hair, the dark skin patches, the skin tags, the adult acne, the mood swings and depression, I no longer feel physically and emotionally miserable any more. Good luck!

I have to say Ive been pretty good with the tracking of foods and drinks, but for sure there are days when I could make better choices even if I am staying within my calorie allocation.

Im glad to say that my TOM is not to bad, but I do get all the other stuff, I have more spots on my face than my teenage daughter:noway: , more hair between my belly button to my thighs than my hubby:blushing: thank god for my epilator is all I can say.

Really dont want to go down the route of Atkins or anything like that, just was wondering what seems to work for you guys out there that have made change to their carbs & protein.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I followed Ann Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan for weight loss and have no signs and symptoms remaining of my PCOS. I have worked on hormone balancing as well. I believe a big part of breaking that weight loss hurdle was exercise, not just diet. On my last ultrasound a month ago I had only minor cysts remaining on my ovaries and now my problems are uterine fibroids. Exercise was the biggest part of my journey that drastically changed. It's taken me 2 years to get to this point - it's a long slow process. Remember the longer it takes to take it off, they say the more successful it is at keeping it off. 1lb per week is great really!! That's 52lbs in a year - WOW.
  • TaniaDronsfield
    Options
    Hello Ladies

I to was diagnosed with severe PCOS over 10 years ago and unfortunatly weight comes with it as an almost guaranteed side effect and its more of a struggle to lose than just normal weightloss

:flowerforyou: :love: First thing I wanna say is there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! :love: :flowerforyou:
    I have found the more weight I lost the less the symptoms and side affects of the PCOS have become!!
    1) less water retention
    2) less bloating
    3) more regular periods
    4) lighter periods
    5) shorter length periods
    and most importantly
    6) LESS PAIN

One thing I have noticed with food ratios is it varies from person to person!, and its more a trial and error finding what percentages are right for your own weightloss

MFP is set to higher carbs but the lovely thing is you concentrate more on the calories and keeping them right than the percentages of Carbs/protiens MFP suggests start adjusting your levels of each till you find the right burn rate for you EVERYONES DIFFERENT just make sure you keep your calories at optimum

Also stick with it, with PCOS its even easier to fall off the wagon, trust me the more you stick with it, the better the symptoms become and the easier it is to lose the weight its kinda a cycle thing the harder you work the easier it does become, give it time ladies its worth it, I used to be doubled over in pain every month doped up on so many pain killers that I couldnt work, and if I wasnt on pain killers I was passing out with the pain, my periods lasted a minimum of 8 days and were so very heavy I was flooding all the time. Now I have 4-5 day light periods that dont even phase me, minimum pain (only have to take a painkiller about 1 in 6 periods) and they almost always on time!!

If you need a little help I suggest seeing a doctor about metphormin its a drug that helps with diabetes but it has an affect in the liver of people with PCOS that helps with some food processing of sugars etc... I was on it for about a year when I was very heavy and it did help me when I first started to shift my weight. when I got to a certain point I was able to come off it cause my body was able to the job that the metphormin was all by itself

Hope this helps

Hugs all
    add me as a friend if you wish
    T
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed about 22 years ago when I was trying to get pregnant. I have stuggled with my weight most of my adult life but my symptoms are getting better If I eat bread I bloat and dont lose weight so I only eat bread (small brown roll) every other day.(or try to)
    I am now loosing 2lb a week.

Jackie
  • lenwie
    Options
    1lb per week is great really!! That's 52lbs in a year - WOW.

Totally agree thats normal if following a good diet like I am now, my grumble was only 1lb a week when only having 450 cals a day via shakes, but I am NEVER EVER gonna go down that route again, so loved the idea of not having to think about food as all done for you, but so far I cant praise MFP enough.

TaniaDronsfield: Tried GP for Metformin, but my doctor was "No" thats why I went down route of first Xenical/orlistat then VLC diet with GP overviewing, so really think depends who you get because my sister who was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years back was prescribed this and she did drop weight fairly easily.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Atkins is the best way in my opinion to treat PCOS/D. The ratios should be 70% Fat, 30% Protein and 5% Carbohydrate for maximum success. Fat is not the enemy. PCOD is a carb reactive/insulin resistent disease. Best of luck to you and if you ever need some great recipes and tips give me a note!
  • lenwie
    Options
    really dont think I could cope on such a low % carb as that :noway:
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I agree, I couldn't do so few carbs. I mean, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I think I'd die if I were stuck on 5% carbs for the rest of my life.
  • lenwie
    Options
    I agree, I couldn't do so few carbs. I mean, this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I think I'd die if I were stuck on 5% carbs for the rest of my life.

100% agree, want to lose weight at a steady pace but at the same time want to get help with the PCOS side of stuff, not so much the side effects, have lived with them so long now they've almost become my friends "just" but want to be eating the right ratios, no good putting petrol in a diesel car, same principle really if I need to lower carbs (a wee bit) then thats what ill do if it seems to work for people with the condition. Will give it a few more weeks maybe at MFP %'s as am losing weight ok at moment wk1 3lb wk2 3lb wk 3 2lb and see what happens then perhaps alter the carbs a bit. Although have to say im always under the MFP limit anyway :happy: