That time of month :(

Options
During that time of month i want to work out but don't know if it is good or not. I need some help with that cause i tend to eat a little more and want to be able to work it off so i don't gain any that I've lost.

Replies

• lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    No reason at all to be honest why you couldn't continue to work out, perhaps running etc not the best thing if you suffer heavy periods, you may just need to up your iron intake a wee bit like green veggies/leaves and a little more red meat etc, this will help you not to flag when you exercise.
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    During that time of month i want to work out but don't know if it is good or not. I need some help with that cause i tend to eat a little more and want to be able to work it off so i don't gain any that I've lost.

YES, work out. It will help relieve any cramps, bloating, and weight gain...
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    exercise, exercise, exercise. I had my menstral cycle this week, and did not want to exercise at first, but I pushed myself. Once I started exercising, I was ok. My cramps actually decreased.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Working out during TOM is a must. It makes the cramps go away and just makes you feel better in general.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just work out as normal at "that time". I get the hunger thing really bad the week before I'm due and I'm getting better at handling it! I've only been on MFP since January and have had 1 TOM where I didn't put weight on, but the week after I lost 3 lbs which is slightly over what I normally lose. So if you weigh yourself and you've maintained or put on a little, you should probably get a better result the week after like I did. I'm approaching "that time" just now and have a weigh in on Monday so will be interesting to see if the same happens again.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That time of the month actually burns calories naturally so a few extra calories shouldn't hurt. It's the one nice thing about 'the curse'!
  • MalyMal
    MalyMal Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It is a good idea. Just keep track of the extra you eat and the calories you burn. Plus working out release endorfins and they help fight pain which is always a good thing during TOM.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I find that long walks help my cramps. As everyone has said, exercise is always good.
    I usually get really heavy TOM, so I make my exercise a bit lighter.

Some other tips, cut back on the caffeine a little if you drink it. I usually do half caf coffee instead of regular full caf.
    Also eat a banana. The potassium helps to relieve cramps.