Did anyone have headaches when you began?

ConnieLynn
ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
Hi! Did anyone experience headaches when you first started out? This is my 4th day and I get a headache in the afternoon. I am doing 1200 calories a day or 1400 when I walk for 30 minutes.

Thanks,

Connie Lynn

Replies

• amandaj81
    amandaj81 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi, I experienced headaches in the beginning because I was trying to stop drinking pop (get rid of those calories) so if you are a big caffeine drinker maybe that could be the problem, I have top drink a regular pop every couple of days I don't know if this is the problem your having but just a thought
  • dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    I've heard of these being reffered to as hunger headaches. I'm not really sure what causes them, but you may want to add some low calorie snacks in the afternoon like fruit or something. Maybe your blood sugar is dropping too low.
  • I always get a headache when I'm dehydrated. Maybe you need to drink more water?
  • xkaraix
    xkaraix Posts: 3
    I've had that problem. Generally I'll drink some water to make sure I'm not dehydrated but for the most part I believe it might be related to the lower intake of sugar in my diet.
  • mdup777
    mdup777 Posts: 33 Member
    I had a few headaches, but I'm fine now. I don't drink sodas, one every once in a while. Instead of drinking straight decaf coffee I mix half and half, but I recently bought just decaf. I also make the sugar free peach tea and I use green tea for half of the water I use to mix with it. That way I can get my green tea in during the day.
  • bmadison
    bmadison Posts: 2
    Hello

I also started getting headaches as well, by the 3rd day they were gone..... a friend of my told me it was caffine withdrawel. I started to drink more water and Motrin help!
  • nealm
    nealm Posts: 4
    I had headaches about a week into my program. They came in the morning and I think they were due to not eating enough for dinner. I had pretty low calorie intake, and was ramping up on the exercise. I increased my calorie intake at dinner and the headaches went away. If you are exercising hard, you need calories to help build muscle. I also started taking a vitamin supplement, and that may have helped.
    Neal
  • A few years ago, I was eating 1400 calories a day and biking for 45 minutes. I was grouchy and had a terrible headache every afternoon/evening. I just wasn't getting enough calories. I agree that you probably need to add a snack in the afternoon--especially since you're just starting out.
  • I had bad headaches the first week or so. I drank alot of Dt Dew and decided if I was going to put 100% into this I was giving up caffine too . Its been a over a week and the headaches are gone .I noticed if I drank more water it helped.
    Good luck it gets better hang in there !
  • ida4872
    ida4872 Posts: 8
    Yes, I had headaches particularly within the first week when I limit my sugar and processed carb intake. I think it has to do with withdrawal. I usually grit my teeth through it because once I get past the 2 days of headache, things go back to normal.

However, I would suggest that you go and see a doctor if the headache persists - if nothing else to make sure that your blood sugar level or blood pressure is not too low.
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Hi everyone and thank you for your help.

I think sugar was the issue. It may have been lower blood pressure as well.

I did not have a headache the next day, so I am happy about that. I will try having sugar when I get a headache and see if that helps. I will also try moving around if it is a blood pressure issue. We will see what happens.

I have felt light headed today, but I am sure my body is just adjusting to the reduced calorie intake. I am learing how important it is to prepare each meal to feed myself with the best nutrition each time.

I imagine we will all get very good at eating well!

Blessings to you for your help and kindness.

Connie Lynn
  • Shai
    Shai Posts: 7
    Yes, i noticed the first couple of days that my body tried to force me to eat what it wanted, and tried to convince me that I was starting to develop a hunger headache. I'd recently eaten lunch so I knew what my body was up to and gave it water instead. Haven't notice the headache sensation since.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    That was good thinking Shai. Good to know.
    Cowboy