Consult a nutritionist, not a doctor

Options
Only 6% of doctors have any sort of formal nutrition training. I have seen a nutritionist and get MUCH better results with her than any doctor I have ever seen.

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A CERTIFIED nutritionist. Make sure they have been to school and got their certification, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist anymore and they can do some serious harm. Try one that works in conjunction with a doctors office or hospital.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    did you have to get a referral to go see a nutritonist??
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have been going to an LPN with nutritional training, but I'm going to be honest: I've learned a lot more by my own research and the research of people on here than what she has taught me. I still go every two weeks; partly because it's free, and partly because it's somebody in real life to be accountable to. What kind of irritates me is the fact she credits her system (which is something I've incorporated, but not lived by)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My ex is a registered dietitian. I get free advice from her all day. Lol. She's the basic source of info from where I got my initial diet plan. I took over from there and made it my own.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Dietitian is the protected term in the U.S. and many other places. If you go to someone who calls themselves a nutritionist you never know what their training actually is.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    My ex is a registered dietitian. I get free advice from her all day. Lol. She's the basic source of info from where I got my initial diet plan. I took over from there and made it my own.

dam that must have been handy :D
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    did you have to get a referral to go see a nutritonist??

Depends on your insurance. I had to get one from my doc. The nutritionist that I see is in their office, so we did a quick visit before I saw her and he documented that yes, I am overweight and would benefit from a nutritionist. (Duh) Then my insurance paid for the whole thing.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A CERTIFIED nutritionist. Make sure they have been to school and got their certification, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist anymore and they can do some serious harm. Try one that works in conjunction with a doctors office or hospital.

er I agree but rather a Registered Dietitian because (in the US or Michigan at least)anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist" but a Registered Dietitian had to study and be state licensed/ registered
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    My naturopathic doctor is also a Certified Nutritionist and she turned me on to the the school I attended and the one I am attending now.

If I can ever get the money, I will be moving to Seattle area to go to Bastyr University. I had already gotten accepted and then the money fell through for my husband and I to move. Within the next 7 -10 years, I will be a Naturopathic Doctor myself and I will also focus on nutrition.

In the meantime, I am starting part time at my Dr's office as a Nutrition Coach to assist Diabetic patients on getting off their meds and controlling Type 2 Diabetes with diet, exercise (which compromise the lifestyle change).
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

dam that must have been handy :D

It was. And still is, actually. We're still very close friends.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Only 6% of doctors have any sort of formal nutrition training. I have seen a nutritionist and get MUCH better results with her than any doctor I have ever seen.

:drinker: Amen to that!!!:drinker:
    I see my Nutritionist she is a RD, LDN!!
    Love her!!! She taught me more about what to do regarding my insulin resistance, bloodwork and what to do to improve it so I can make smart choices to allow my weight to go down :) My body works in unison - corny I know but that is how I feel.

Best to you all!!