Ditching the gym!

Options
Well looking at my finances I decided that I am giving up the gym!

I've been ill the last few weeks and wasn't allowed to exercise by the doctor and by concerned family members, so I had to find other ways of keeping active without touching the gym. I got the all clear from the doctor to at least start back at the gym but build it up slowly - but I realised Ive enjoyed the last week so much that I won't bother!

Im burning at least 500 calories everyday, ok a slight drop from my 1250 calorie bursts at the gym but burning 500 calories a day EVERYDAY is better than burning a few thousand calories twice or 3 times a week.

Now the nights are getting longer, and days getting warmer surely there's plenty for us to do outside and save £35 every month :D

So here's what Im doing - Im planning a workout routine that allows me to eventually build up to burning 1000 calories, even on a saturday just having an active day outside, maintain 500 calorie burn every other day and between now and my holiday in July whatever money I have saved each month from the gym (£175!!) I will buy all my new (thinner!) holiday clothes with :D

So if anyone has any unusual outdoor or home exercises I could take advantage of then please let me know :D

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I do not have anything unusual I do at all. But I love jogging and riding my bike. It just feels great to have the music in my ears and going. I have several friends who have joined kickball and dodgeball leagues but I'm not sure if they have that where you are. I say just do what you love outside. You will probably be surprised at how many calories you can burn. I got a push mower for the yard just so I can burn extra calories instead of sitting there riding. Do what you love....it's that best workout.
  • kristiek7
    Options
    I've downloaded workout videos to do, as I did not want to spend $$ on a memebership......maybe that is something to try?
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I haven't been going to a traditional gym but I'm getting plenty of exercise in. I joined a gym today for a special promotion (2 months for $19 which includes a $20 credit for their juice bar), but I'm going to save it for when I'm really close to my goal weight and just need an extra push of having people around me.

Home workout dvds have been great for me. Same with exercise video games. Really anything that gets you moving and makes you happy to do it is a great workout!
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LOTS of Exercise video's on YouTube! I found some the other night, most were only like 5-6 minutes long but were working a set group of muscle. But if you do the entire series you can easily get in 30 minutes of cardio...

You really do not need a lot of equipment at home to workout either. The only things I have and use all the time is my fitness ball and my free weights. I do also have a jump rope (given to me by a friend), resistance bands (from my physical therapy doctor when I injured my back), and I have a set of medicine balls which I bought clearanced at work a few years ago.

If you don't have weights, look for can goods in your pantry to make due with... towels can be used for resistance, standing on folded towels or even pillows, will help with building a strong core as you use your core to balance on them...

if you have small children, or know of any you can spend time playing with them. Depending on age and weight, use them for weight while doing leg lifts... holding them and swinging them around helps build arm strength...

Just be creative! There's lots of ways to workout at home...

Good Luck!

Lisa
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input all - will definately have a look into workout videos - I know my mate has one upstairs so maybe I could start with that although I know from her own experience its an intense workout!

I had also planned to get my bike out of the shed and fix it - probably needs a good tidy, and a new tyre! was meant to do it today but got back too late! Will definately make it a priority at the weekend providing the rain stays off!

I also have 3 very active neice and nephews - I took my neice and nephew out today for an hours walk, the extra weight of pushing a one year old in their push along tike car was a level up from just walking which was great - actually built a real sweat!

Looking forward to trying out new ideas! :D
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    I think the hills of northern ireland are great for walking. I used to live in a pancake town totally flat so moving here was a massive change. I think when the weather warms up it will be great to walk the whole of whiterock beach
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    i've been doing exercising videos lately but plan on walking again. i used to go 2 miles everyday. this summer i'm going for 3