4 Hours of Workout

Options
I saw a video on youtube about Jessica Biel working out for 4 hours everyday and 7 days a week for her role in a movie. The movie if you are wondering is called Blade: Trinity.

But what I want to know is if it's safe to work out for that much everyday? She said on the video she's eating right, but are they also doing something else that makes them able to work out that much?

She said she would work out for....
1 hour of weight training
45 min of cardio
1 hour martial arts
1 hour archery

I always wondered if this celebrities who muscle up do it the right way, or they somehow cheat. What do you guys think?

Replies

• kybird916
    Options
    Well if you have seen that shouw I USED TO BE FAT.... thats kind of what they do for a 90 day time period for those kids.

I dont see why she would even have to! Shes so trim!
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    as long as they are eating right, staying hydrated, and are physically capable of doing it i dont see why it would be a problem.

people can train their body to do many things... im sure she worked up to that amount of time
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    hey i'm watching i used to be fat right now as i type! this girl marcy really gets on my nerves with her crying lol
  • kilojoule
    Options
    i get about 4-5 hours a day avg. Takes a bit for the body to get used to it but after a couple of weeks to a month your body adapts and expects it

my breakdown

4 hrs on the bike
    1 hour strength training free weights
    30min running

should prob add that I eat close to 4000 calories a day also of good clean food. Feel free to check out my diary's for a good laugh.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    remember these people also have nutritionists and chefs. She was probably also eating 3000 or more cals/day to keep up.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    An hour of archery is not "working out." Studying for her part, yes, but it's not cardio or strength training.
    So, she's down to 3.

Considering that many folks put in 8 hour days doing heavy manual labor, three hours over the course of a day is no biggie. There's plenty of rest in between.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I saw a video on youtube about Jessica Biel working out for 4 hours everyday and 7 days a week for her role in a movie. The movie if you are wondering is called Blade: Trinity.

But what I want to know is if it's safe to work out for that much everyday? She said on the video she's eating right, but are they also doing something else that makes them able to work out that much?

She said she would work out for....
    1 hour of weight training
    45 min of cardio
    1 hour martial arts
    1 hour archery

I always wondered if this celebrities who muscle up do it the right way, or they somehow cheat. What do you guys think?

I've seen some of the training she did. I would call it far from a 4 hour workout. More like 4 hours of training for the movie. The martial arts and archery I would say just qualify moderate and light activity respectively. There was lot's of instruction and choreography going on for those. I'd give her credit for the other hour and 45 where the workout was focused on weights and cardio.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad at all! Any day I can find the time, I definitely do an hour weight training and a couple of hours of cardio. If I had the time every day, I'd be all over it!
    To do it safely, just have to change the intensity and muscle group to avoid exhaustion and injuries.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    lots of actors do things like this. Robert Dinero work out 4 to 6 hours a day to get his "prison" body in "Cape Fear". Russel Crow in Gladiator, did 4 hour work outs to give him the "natural" big rounded look he had for that film.

But that is their job and they have special trainers, dietitian ect.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with it. A few years ago I use to do a bootcamp every weekend for the entire summer.. It was 4 hours of weights, spinning, running, bleacher runs, aerobics, etc.. The other days of the week I would do less amounts, but it wasn't because I couldn't, it was because I didn't want to, lol. As long as she is eating the right things throughout the day AND workouts and keeping hydrated then it shouldn't be bad for her health. Last night I worked out for 3 hours straight and I wish sometimes I had the time to do it more often! It's nice!! I think people are capable of WAY MORE than they attempt. That's my opinion and I know every person is different. A lot of the women in my bootcamps in years past were twice my age and weight and they did it!
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally healthy. Throughout history humans "exercised" all day whether that meant walking, lifting, farming, hunting, or playing outside. Even today lots of people "exercise" all day who simply have active jobs - think of mail carriers, cleaning staff, farmers, commercial fishermen, loggers, factory workers, fitness instructors, etc etc. If you're sitting on your rump for the other 20 hours a day, four hours of exercise is probably not only safe but quite a positive thing to do. The more the better as long as you're getting plenty of food and rest.

I just went on a ski trip and skied for 5-7 hours a day for 3 days straight. I lost 3 pounds even though I was eating steak and drinking wine every night. It made me realize that not only could I easily increase my workout length, but that I probably should. While it sounds over the top to go to a gym for four hours a day, you probably wouldn't think it dangerous to go for a 4 hour hike or swim or skate or bike ride. What we think of as "exercise" is really just living an active lifestyle.
  • binkyb00
    binkyb00 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my main concern is mostly if it's safe to put your body through that, but it's definitely great to see that people here actually do a lot of exercise. I always wondered when I'm working out for so long if it's bad for my muscles because I might be over doing it.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    People with millions millions of dollars - are able to do that - have personal chefs etc....good for her
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I don't think they cheat - I think they don't have to deal with reality like normal people do. Most people need to work 8-12 hours a day during the week, have a family to take care of, a house to clean, etc. It gets pretty easy to devote a bunch of time to exercise when you can go months without working and still pay the bills, nanny, gardener, maid, chef, personal trainer, nutritionist, etc. I'm sure there are stay at home moms that are able to devote some serious time to exercise when the kids are in school but they don't get the luxuries that a movie star would get. Once you make it as a professional sports player or actor/actress you are basically paid to keep yourself in the best shape possible.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    She wasn't doing that workout to lose weight. The role called for her to have a very lean, muscular body, not just a thin body. For someone who is willing to wait a year or more for that result, you don't have to spend hours a day working out, but if you've only got a couple of months, you have to do what you have to do. Also, I have read that Jessica Biel does foam rolling on her rest days to help with muscle recovery, and that allows her to work out more often.

If you visit the Gym Jones website, you can learn how the actors from the film 300 got the bodies they had in the movie. They spent 8 weeks at this gym doing hours of incredibly difficult strength training and cardio workouts every single day, and they ate only enough calories to prevent their bodies from breaking down. This was required because the look they were going for was more "caveman physique" than "bodybuilder physique." The head trainer (Mark Twight) said his goal was to train the actors for performance and that appearance would be a byproduct of that. Sounds a lot like what Jessica Biel was doing.

The way actors train is much different from the way a trainer would advise you because your goal is long-term weight-loss. Their goal is to look a certain way in a very short time period. As to whether or not your body is capable of that kind of training for a long period of time ... depends on your age, health, and how well you take care of yourself in between workouts. If you're relatively young, in good health, and you make sure to drink enough water, eat a proper diet, and stretch and massage your muscles to promote recovery, it's absolutely safe.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    before i had kids i used to spend 4hours a day training, while eating plenty, and it never did me a bit of harm...totally healthy, and i looked the best i ever have...i just wish i had enough time to do it now!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    lots of actors do things like this. Robert Dinero work out 4 to 6 hours a day to get his "prison" body in "Cape Fear". Russel Crow in Gladiator, did 4 hour work outs to give him the "natural" big rounded look he had for that film.

But that is their job and they have special trainers, dietitian ect.

mm... prison body...
  • GurlNxtDoor04
    GurlNxtDoor04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done archery? Pulling that bow works great muscles in your biceps and back. It is working out and does burn calories.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Well, she's a celebrity. Must be nice to have that kind of time on your hands. I don't know how normal working people can exercise for that long unless they simply don't sleep. I'd rather die that work out 4 hours a day, but who am I to say no one else should do it? Please feel free. One hour 5 days per week is plenty for me.