Cougar on the Prowl!

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
and not the sexy one either! haha

This morning my sister got up at 5am to go for a jog and down the road from our house was a cougar just casually walking around! She backed up slowly hoping it didnt see her and went another way for her jog. She is braver than I, I would have come back home. This is the second time its been seen by us.. I first saw it on the outskirts of town in the bush.. but now its coming into town. Im quite scared now to go for my midnight bike... Especially alone. There are many dark well treed areas for it to hide in! I know nothing about cougars!! I know with the bears that come you can chase them out....

I just had a knock at my door now.. and it was my old pastor who also helps run the town. I told him about it and he said "shes still around? thats not good at all, shes new, may have to put her down" and also said she has killed something just by his office. I dont know if im going to bike tonight... :frown:

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Options
    and not the sexy one either! haha

This morning my sister got up at 5am to go for a jog and down the road from our house was a cougar just casually walking around! She backed up slowly hoping it didnt see her and went another way for her jog. She is braver than I, I would have come back home. This is the second time its been seen by us.. I first saw it on the outskirts of town in the bush.. but now its coming into town. Im quite scared now to go for my midnight bike... Especially alone. There are many dark well treed areas for it to hide in! I know nothing about cougars!! I know with the bears that come you can chase them out....

I just had a knock at my door now.. and it was my old pastor who also helps run the town. I told him about it and he said "shes still around? thats not good at all, shes new, may have to put her down" and also said she has killed something just by his office. I dont know if im going to bike tonight... :frown:
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    Hahha, I thought you were talking about an older woman looking for a younger man!!!:blushing:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    haha yes and thats why I said not the sexy one!! Im too young to be a cougar, but maybe one day... hahahahaha
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    aah thats unnerving. I think I would hold off on the bike ride too. My hubby was attacked by one a few years ago, luckily he had his gun and shot it before it got him. Be careful when you are out and about.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hahha, I thought you were talking about an older woman looking for a younger man!!!:blushing:

I know, I could've sworn this was about SoupNazi. th_giggle.gif

Glad your sister is okay! :smile:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If she is venturing into a populated area then she is hungry and will attack. Be very careful. I really hope they don't put her down though. Hopefuly she can be captured and relocated. (I have a huge soft spot for big cats).
  • PixieDust2828
    Options
    Me too, I love cats.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    This is a hunting town!! FULL of hunters... I bet someone will shoot her the moment they are given the word. They dont know if shes male of female yet. They usually do relocate, most of the time it doesnt work though and they do have to put them down. :frown: It may be mean for me to say, but I rather the cougar die than a child since the school playground is in a well treed area where over the years many cougars have been
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    When there is a large suburb put in an area that USED to be home they go to other areas that are close to what they THINK of as home.
    They are known to be agressive and they are known to attack.
    As you said relotating the cats does not work. Sad but true.
    It is humans fault, but what can you do.
    IF you want a midnight ride carry something to protect yourself, Mase comes to mind. I would her rather be hurt for a moment, then you chewed to death.
    --Diann...
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Im an avid hunter and I have no desire to shoot her. My friends that are hunters would have no desire to shoot her either. Just because we like to hunt doesnt mean we like to kill everything. I'd much rather see the division of wildlife ( or what ever its called in your state ) come out and capture it and relocate it hundreds of miles away or worse case put her in a zoo.

Have you called your local state wildlife department and told them the situation? They might not have any idea, the sooner they are in the loop the better! We had a moose in our town that wouldnt leave for about a month wrecking havok on peoples property, houses, parks, etc. Luckily it never made it to the school but he came fairly close to overstepping his boundaries. I say bondaries which sounds funny, he was there before us but you have to draw a line in the sand, will you let him endanger hundreds of children at the school? This never happened thankfully but it was already setup to put him down if he got to close to the kids. We had two mountain lions a few years ago. Unfortionately we had to shoot one since it was constantly watching the school and started stalking kids walking home from school from a distance.

Death sucks I wont lie, but in some instances its better for the animal and the community ( i.e. they're starving and living out of the dumpster because their mom died and never taught them all they need to know about how to eat, etc. ) It saddens me to see it happen, funny you might think hearing that from a hunter, but a nessacary part of life.

Call up your local division of wildlife and tell them whats going on. I'd stay away from the local police for starting because they might make a rash decision an unlike the division wildlife they dont have the means nor the mindset of whats best for the animal. Good luck and remember, she should be more afraid of you then you are of her, although hunger and stress and make an animal turn that fear into anger quickly!

Pat:drinker:
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you look out for this one.....

260966AFhe_w.jpg
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Im an avid hunter and I have no desire to shoot her. My friends that are hunters would have no desire to shoot her either. Just because we like to hunt doesnt mean we like to kill everything. I'd much rather see the division of wildlife ( or what ever its called in your state ) come out and capture it and relocate it hundreds of miles away or worse case put her in a zoo.

Have you called your local state wildlife department and told them the situation? They might not have any idea, the sooner they are in the loop the better! We had a moose in our town that wouldnt leave for about a month wrecking havok on peoples property, houses, parks, etc. Luckily it never made it to the school but he came fairly close to overstepping his boundaries. I say bondaries which sounds funny, he was there before us but you have to draw a line in the sand, will you let him endanger hundreds of children at the school? This never happened thankfully but it was already setup to put him down if he got to close to the kids. We had two mountain lions a few years ago. Unfortionately we had to shoot one since it was constantly watching the school and started stalking kids walking home from school from a distance.

Death sucks I wont lie, but in some instances its better for the animal and the community ( i.e. they're starving and living out of the dumpster because their mom died and never taught them all they need to know about how to eat, etc. ) It saddens me to see it happen, funny you might think hearing that from a hunter, but a nessacary part of life.

Call up your local division of wildlife and tell them whats going on. I'd stay away from the local police for starting because they might make a rash decision an unlike the division wildlife they dont have the means nor the mindset of whats best for the animal. Good luck and remember, she should be more afraid of you then you are of her, although hunger and stress and make an animal turn that fear into anger quickly!

Pat:drinker:

I know not all hunters will kill it if they could :tongue: My dad is a hunter as well. But many around are in fact cougar hunters and would love to. I was talking about them. hahaha Im not going to call the wildlife people. Everyone in town is well aware of it now. Im sure they will take care of it soon. My dad figures its a young one and just doesnt know better cause most cougars never come into town. I know most of the time they are scared of me more than I am of them, but im a sissy. haha I just hope something quick happens to it. And thank goodness they dont hunt like in that pic haha