Gym Dress at the Gym?! What do you wear?

Options
Was wondering what you wear to the gym? Just read a post on here about a gym having a dress code where tank tops and spandex are not allowed. Are you kidding me? That is just ridiculous! And while I don't think people should be working out in bathing suits either, no tank tops (only t-shirts) is a ridiculous dress code. They even have extra t-shirts if you forget yours?! I would not wear that to the gym.

That being said, my typical workout gear includes Nike dri-fit tank with built-in support bra, Nike black dri-fit spandex type low rise pants that are loose around the ankles, ankle socks and sneakers of course.

Replies

• bahrainbel
    Options
    black trackies, white vest top, trainers.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Well, last night in spin class I was wearing my bikini......

j/k :bigsmile:
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Um, I always wear my spandex yoga pants, and matching tank tops... have never been told to put a shirt on over it or to wear anything different. They are workout clothes, specifically designed for working out in and being comfortable.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

LOL!!!!!!:laugh:
  • cheangela
    Options
    Yoga pants, Enell bra, dri-fit tank :-)
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I read that too about no tank tops, that is just crazy I wear a tank top everytime. And usually yoga type pants.
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I work out in old junk clothes mostly...I don't go to a gym as I can't afford the membership right now. But when I did go to a gym I wore cloth shorts and either a tank or a t-shirt. Any gym tried to tell me that I couldn't wear what I want to wear while working out wouldn't have me as a member in the first place. If I'm paying to use the gym I'm wearing what I want.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    ROTF lmao @ Shannon
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Capri gym pants, tank top or t-shirt.

There's a girl in my gym who has a tank top that's one shoulder strap only. The other shoulder is completely bare. It looks weird and...unsupportive.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I think that's a little over the top to me! Right now I wear wicking t-shirts since that's what I have that fits, and pants. Come summer I will wear cropped pants or long shorts (not a fan of the little butt hugging shorts, personal choice) and if I find tanks I like, then great! I haven't seen anyone at the gym that's been offensive to me, except maybe the guy who cuts the huge holes in his shirt to show off his abs... not that I mind seeing this great abs.. makes me want to work harder!!!

Shorts and tanks are fine if you're not showing your bum!!!! These people are nuts!
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    running shorts, either a dri fit shirt or nike compression shirt, old running shoes then if i run i have my training running shoes that i only wear for training in the bag. plus an extra shirt and shorts I sweat A LOT!
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    GEEZ... I would quit a gym so fast their head would spin if there was a dress code like that!!! Even at my biggest (I guess everyone has that stage where they feel ginormous, even if they aren't THAT big, but I felt like my arms had enough flab I could probably fly with with), I ALWAYS wore tank tops. Hello, you are more than likely working-up a sweat here, meaning your body is HOT, so why put MORE clothing on it?!

OK, rant aside, I usually wear my fave Nike dri-fit capris (not the tight kind), a tank of pretty much any brand w/built-in support, the short-fit socks, and my shoes. I guess it goes without saying I also wear a sports bra?!?! My goal is to be able to wear just a bralet top, so I def. won't be joinging that gym :wink:
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I thought that was you! ;-)

LOL!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Black yoga pants, cami top with buit in shelf bra (I have no boobs), and a t-shirt over that. The t-shirt always comes off and is used for dripping sweat. Sneaks of course. I would be so sad without my stretch fabrics.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Such a good question! I work out at the Y, not EAC or Bally Fitness. People at the Y are serious about their exercise and less so about their dress. Rarely do you see someone in a cute, matchy match outfit. (secretly I wish I could FIT into one!) One day, soon, though! LOL!

I wear either black spandex shorts or 3/4 length crops, sometimes a T shirt that is too big (so I can move), or a tank top with a sports bra, white ankle socks and my Asicis.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think you may be referring to my gym (as I mentioned it earlier today) and there is spandex allowed, just not hot pants (regular shorts are allowed). While I would have liked to be able to wear my nice tank top with the funky neck, I think the policy is to avoid spaghetti straps, belly shirts and sports bras as outerwear... personally, I like the dress code, as I have seen some people really come in wearing less than an American Apparel ad..

that being said - i always wear Joe Fresh capris (cheap and comfortable!) and a Adidas climate-cool kangaroo t-shirt - or just a simple tshirt with my trusty capris...
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    What kind of a Gym would have those kinds of dress code rules! I just wear a fitted racer back tank top (built-in support bra) with a sports bra underneath, loose fitted capri workout pants (wide at bottom) or fitted all the way down workout pants. Plus the ankle sox and tennis shoes and ponytail and headphones :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Compression pants/shorts, shirt or tank (with a sports bra), socks, shoes.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For normal gym / classes / lifting etc I wear 3/4 lycra bottoms (spandex in your language?) and a tank top.

In spin classes I just wear my tri kit cos it's super comfy. They are mid-thigh lenth tri shorts and a sleeveless cycling top.

In winter I run (outdoors) in long running leggins and long sleeves, in summer in shorts and a crop top.

A gym that has a dress code stating "no exposed shoulders" and "no midriff" showing (as stated in the other thread) would not get my membership.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I thought that was you! ;-)

LOL!

Yes, but I'm really 5'11 and weigh 105 pounds. :blushing:

(odd to hear lightning this time of year...) :embarassed: