peanut butter

Options
2»

Replies

• oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is fantastic, but only the real stuff. Don't do the reduced fat. Indulge once in a while and when you do, do it wisely. For example, one spoonful spread evenly over apple slices give you a healthy snack that packs some protein. I find that mixing protein and fiber keep me full longer. (This is a favorite breakfast of mine)

When comparing labels of Skippy and Jiff reduced fat and naturals, I learned there's less cals in the natural than reduced fat. And the natural has none of the fakey stuff. Fascinating!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Avoid roasted nuts. Choose nut butters (e.g., almond, walnut, cashew, or macadamia nut) made from raw (not roasted) organic nuts. Most peanut butters contain roasted peanuts, so read labels carefully. Natural Peanut Butter is a bit more difficult to obtain in its raw state. You can make your own Homemade Peanut Butter made from raw peanuts.
    Homemade Peanut Butter
    1 cup raw peanuts
    4 Tbsp water
    1-2 Tbsp of raw honey depending on taste (2 is very sweet)
    1 1/2 Tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
    Put all ingredients into your food processor and blend. It will become spreadable but not creamy.

Guess I'm confused why roasted, unless they're also salted, really matters. I buy roasted, no - salt, almonds and the nutrition label reads the same as the raw almonds. Does that change for peanuts??
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like to do PB on brown rice cakes drizzled with just a little hershey's dark choc syrup. It's a healthier version of the Reese's peanutbutter cup
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Personally, absolutely love peanut butter, often with chocolate.

But alas, I need to learn to enjoy it in moderation.

In the past, I've over induldge. I'm the kind of person who loves the variety of penature sandwhiches (jelly, perserves, jams, bananas, pickles, ....and on and on.) I used to enjoy a smidgen of peanut butter on pan cakes or waffles.

So, is peanut butter good or bad? Definitely good in moderation. However, eating peanut butter with so many other foods, tends to be a bit bad.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I personally like Jif Natural. There's only like, 6 ingredients in it, and I recognize them all. I put 1 tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning, along with a banana. Yum!

I realize that some people shy away from it for its fat and calorie count. My philosophy is that on the grand list of all the foods in the world, you could do much, much worse! Plus, it's a full of protein!

Peanut butter should only have 2 ingredients Peanuts and salt.
    JIF Natural has palm oil, which is NOT a healthy fat and it has 2 kinds of sugar. Sugar increase your appetite.
    SKIPPY Natural also has palm oil and sugar

In my area SMUCKERS or ARROWHEAD MILLS are 2 good options which are readily available.
    from a quick online search it looked like ADAMS, TEDDIE, LAURA SCUDDER"S would be good options as well.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Avoid roasted nuts. Choose nut butters (e.g., almond, walnut, cashew, or macadamia nut) made from raw (not roasted) organic nuts. Most peanut butters contain roasted peanuts, so read labels carefully. Natural Peanut Butter is a bit more difficult to obtain in its raw state. You can make your own Homemade Peanut Butter made from raw peanuts.
    Homemade Peanut Butter
    1 cup raw peanuts
    4 Tbsp water
    1-2 Tbsp of raw honey depending on taste (2 is very sweet)
    1 1/2 Tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
    Put all ingredients into your food processor and blend. It will become spreadable but not creamy.

Guess I'm confused why roasted, unless they're also salted, really matters. I buy roasted, no - salt, almonds and the nutrition label reads the same as the raw almonds. Does that change for peanuts??

Many people enjoy raw and non-roasted nuts and seeds for a variety of reasons. However, most peanuts contain Aflatoxins (most commonly the mycotoxin Aspergillus flavus). Even when on a mostly Raw food diet, I mostly eat roasted nuts without salt or additives for this reason. Eating raw peanuts is like drinking non-pasteurized milk. There's a good chance you can get sick.