Protein Powder

Options
tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
I've been doing a little research and pretty much every where I turn I'm told that protein powder can halp you lose fat (not weight....FAT lol).
Has anyone here tried it for that purpose? I've been thinking about getting some whey protien for shakes after a workout. I'm a girl so I was looking onto something with about 130 cal and 20g protein. Would this be helpful in the fat loss category?

Replies

• kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Protien will help build lean muscle which helps burn fat.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about claims that it helps you lose "fat" but I do make it a part of my diet. It's definitely not just for body builders anymore!

I use it in protein smoothies. Sometimes as a recovery drink and other times as a meal replacement for breakfast. My favorite brand is 365 from Whole Foods. Whatever you decide to go with, stick to plain or vanilla. It's much more versatile and you can add your own flavors.

I know some people add it to everything from oatmeal to yogurt, but that's not my thing.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert Protein. 21 grams protein, 8 grams carbs, 150 calories.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I supplement with protein shake/bar everyday to get extra protein(i am not a big meat eater).....If my protein intake is equal to or higher than my carb intake I lose weight faster. BUT that is me and everyone is different. It definately wont hurt you to try it. If you are working out it is good fuel for muscles.
    Good Luck!
  • dkiles
    dkiles Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not sure of the science of the powder specifically for fat loss. I know I like having the protein powder as a supplement to healthy eating and exercising to develop muscle and burn fat. I have a protein shake that I love. It's Elite 12 hour protein in Fudge Brownie. It's low carb and at least 20 grams of protein. It helps me get in the amount of protein a day that I need. It tastes fine with water but I make it with unsweetened almond milk. Some times a 1/4 cup of blueberries and or ground flax seed. It's also good to have as a recovery drink after hard exercise, it helps the muscles.

I have been told by a few people to drink a protein drink before I go to bed. I haven't really stuck to that. I've been sticking to my calorie, carb and protein goals for the day and so far it's working.

I'm on a low carb diet. I try to have at least 69 grams or more of protein a day and between 30 to 50 net carbs a day.
  • pedhed
    Options
    The reason why people get fat is that they eat too much (Or possibly have an under-working thyroid gland.) Our bodies require a certain amount of calories too - but if we exceed these calories and do not burn them off through exercise or spending more time in-front of the TV then the excess amount we have eaten will start to convert to body fat!!

You can add protein powder shake's to your diet thereby increasing your calorific intake and likelihood of adding fat but if used along with a balanced diet and appropriate exercise done it can help in lean muscle development.

If you want further info on the subject i would take a look at the forums in bodybuilding.com or similar sites. As a tip I'd also advise to get samples if you can and don't make the mistake of buying a 5kg (of summer-fruits protein which lasted me from spring well into winter) in-fact if you can I would say buy a vanilla or unflavoured powder - you will then be able to flavour to your own tastes!