Day of Rest

Options
How important is a day of rest?

I am walking pretty fast paced 4.0 to 4.2 mph for 30-40 minutes during the week days, and on the weekends do 4-6 miles at the same pace... should I be taking 1 day to rest?

Opinons?

L.

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Rest is critically important for those with intense muscle training routines - such as weight lifting etc. The muscles repair themselves in this time. BUT, on rest days, it doesn't mean "do nothing" - some people take a leisurely walk on rest days. 30-40 mins of brisk walking is great exercise, but likely not overkill for your body - or, if it is, you will feel a bit sluggish and overly tired - then by all means take a day off! You might take one day where you walk a little slower pace if you are feeling it, but I would say, if you are running 5 miles a day to take a rest, but walking for a moderate is not a high impact muscle tearing, fatiguing exercise. Do what your body tells you. You might want to try to work in some variety too though if you can. Maybe 1-2 days of something with strength training in there too. You can always work on adding that later when it's more convenient or something, but keep it in mind. You just want to be sure you are not working the same muscles very hard every day.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    No rest days needed for that type of exercise.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I weight train 6 days a week and try to have one rest day where I do yoga, however, this week sucked and I had 2 rest days where I only worked and that was it. Nothing else, no gym, no yoga, no cardio. Makes me wanna skip my rest days all together. I hate that lazy feelin of not exercising. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

But no, you don't need a rest day.
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Rest is critically important for those with intense muscle training routines - such as weight lifting etc. The muscles repair themselves in this time.

I'm going to have to agree with this. With walking you should be fine.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Rest is critically important for those with intense muscle training routines - such as weight lifting etc. The muscles repair themselves in this time.

I'm going to have to agree with this. With walking you should be fine.

Something else to go along with rest for intense muscle training. Rest means rest! No cardio, no basketball, skiing/boarding, martial arts class, long runs/rides. No strenuous activity period if you want max gains. And if your going to do something strenuous try to make sure it's closer to your next workout instead of a day or two after.