How did you learn to be the way you are?

Options
natalie1
natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
Hi, I am new here. I've been reading your notes for about a week now and decided to introduce myself.
I am 40 y old mother of 3 with about 25 extra pounds. I ve read every book about proper nutrition and understand everything in theory. My problem is to implement it in my life. I walk on trademill 5 days a week 60 min each time. My major problem is portion control- I am on a "see food diet", as long as there is food in front of me, i can't stop eating it. I've tryed to get only small portions in front of me but I'll be craving carbs untill I'll get it.I need to feel heavy stomach to be satisfyed. Some of you asking questions "what to do if you can't eat as much as 1200 cal a day". My problem is that 1200 cal are gone by the lunch time....
How did you learn to be the way you are? Any advice for me?
I am especially hungry after walking in the gym.

Replies

• natalie1
    Options
    Hi, I am new here. I've been reading your notes for about a week now and decided to introduce myself.
    I am 40 y old mother of 3 with about 25 extra pounds. I ve read every book about proper nutrition and understand everything in theory. My problem is to implement it in my life. I walk on trademill 5 days a week 60 min each time. My major problem is portion control- I am on a "see food diet", as long as there is food in front of me, i can't stop eating it. I've tryed to get only small portions in front of me but I'll be craving carbs untill I'll get it.I need to feel heavy stomach to be satisfyed. Some of you asking questions "what to do if you can't eat as much as 1200 cal a day". My problem is that 1200 cal are gone by the lunch time....
    How did you learn to be the way you are? Any advice for me?
    I am especially hungry after walking in the gym.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :flowerforyou:

I have been over weight most of my adult life. Two years ago I began my journey of my weight loss and lost over 75 lbs. I had tried everything before that, low carb, Adkins, Low fat, Slim Fast, etc. As with everything in life, weight loss is a process. I think for most there is a "turning point", and from there the true path of health begins. There just comes a time when you have to say to yourself, enough is enough and I am improtant enough to be healthy. It's different for everyone, and it sounds like you are there.

My suggestion to you is to set small goals. Make it easy to be successful, then once you have mastered those goals, then up it to the next level. And just keep on going. The portion control will get there, I promise you that! If I can anyone can!:laugh:

Anyhow, good luck to you. Keep it simple, keep it real, and most of all have fun on this wonderful journey!

As for me I am going to go play a game of catch with my boys cuz I am no longer "Fat Mom" who is too tired and lazy to get up and play with her kids! Yea for me!:drinker:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Believe me I understand what you are saying. One thing you may consider is taking out as many of the processed foods you can. Also take out all white flours, rice and sugars.

Here is a site that another member put on but I have found it very eye opening. It even has some recipes.

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    First, let me say welcome! You made one of the smartest decisions by coming here - you will find no lack of support and answers to your questions like this one!

Second, you described my life, eating habits, exactly! I am also a 40 yo mom who has an appetite that rivals any mans! I was starting to believe that I didn't have the hormone that made you feel full!! i love food and lots of it!

As mentioned below, there is a turning point...mine was my fathers's heart attack. I heard the words the doctor said "he dodged a bullet" and that was it...life is too short, my dad is only 63! I love my boys more than I love food.

I stopped feeling guilty about the time that working out takes me away from my family and remind myself that I am a better person for them but making the commitment to a healthy lifestyle.

I started reading every post and devouring all the great info on this site and starting making the changes. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store, try new healthy recipes and set bigger exercise goals for myself.

I am down 13 lbs and haven't had fast food since February! I have never felt better!!

Please continue to find what works for you - remember it is a marathon not a race and you are worth it!

:heart:
    Tricia

oh p.s eating healthier, higher fiber foods will make you feel fuller after you exercise...
    also, sign up for daily emails on
    www.hungrygirl.com for lots of great ideas on what to stock your pantry with!!
  • natalie1
    Options
    Thank you. Seemes like some of you were able to overcome the same problems I am having. I'll check those websites that you provided.:flowerforyou:
  • PCentavo
    PCentavo Posts: 2
    Options
    I used to weight 268.5 lbs, I have just reached my goal weight of 153 lbs, it has been a long road with many ups and downs. I have basically applied the Weight Watcher's life style to mine since 1986 when I first joined. I lost 104 lbs the first year, then my father died, and I gained, then I lost, but I couldn't get back into the swing of things. Although I never regained the entire 104 lbs, I struggled to keep it off. I rejoined Weight Watchers in January 2008 with a goal in mind. I was going to go to Hawaii and wanted to wear a bathing suit. Although I had to cancel my trip to Hawaii, I didn't give up because I was looking and feeling so much better. I guess what I wanted to say is if your having trouble with portion control, Weight Watchers has 2 plans and I'm sure one would work for you. Once you've got your portion sizes under control, and your feeling better with your weight loss, your stomach shrinks and you will get full. Filling your stomach up to the point that your stuffed will never let it shrink. Drink a large glass of water 15-20 minutes before you eat, that should help fill you up. Now the hard part comes for me, keeping the weight off!! I'm so glad to have found this website tonight.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi Natalie! Welcome to our little slice of (low calorie) heaven. :tongue:

I believe you may benefit from this post I wrote a while back.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power

at a certain point, you can't avoid all temptations and you just have to learn to stop yourself.
    It's hard, don't I know it, and for a few years, I would just eat anything I wanted. But eventually
    it catches up with all of us. After a little while, learning to shrink down how much you eat to
    a real portion size becomes much easier, and if you eat conciously, and slowly, its much easier
    to not eat everything.

We all need help sometimes, it sounds like you just need a little help re-training yourself to view food as a fuel, instead of attaching other things to it. Many use food as an emotional outlet. Once we learn that food is how we fuel our bodys, and nothing more, it becomes much easier to leave things on the plate. It DOES get easier after a while. Trust me. Eventually, for most people, the good feeling of being healthy, strong, and looking good, overcomes the pleasure or satisfaction we can receive from overeating.

I hope this helps.

-Banks
  • natalie1
    Options
    Thank you guys for your support:love:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Believe me I understand what you are saying. One thing you may consider is taking out as many of the processed foods you can. Also take out all white flours, rice and sugars.

This was huge in getting me to control myself. I was addicted to those substances big time, and once I started I could not stop.

Another thing that helped me was to realize that the "all or nothing" approach wasn't going to work for me. Try making one small change at a time, and you'll be amazed at how things add up.:flowerforyou:

Oh, and you might find that a small snack before your gym visit will prevent the "crazy hungries" after it.
  • natalie1
    Options
    Viviakay, I see huge weight loss viktory on your profile. CONGRATULATIONS! I understand that now you are in control, but What helped you in the beginning?