Early morning bad wether runner

Options
i have learned that the only place fitness ( jogging) fits in is at 5 am.
This, however, requires many changes and commitments.

I have realized I do like being up this early. No one to see how fast I am ( or am not) going, no one to see what I am waring.
It's great!!

But the. The snow and cold struck again.

Ok. So guess I go to get going again anyways? Right.

I got some new gear. Warmer chlothes.
Now to revamp the commitment.

Anyone else making hard sacrifices? Please let me know about them. It's these stories which get and keep me going.

Replies

• micklepickle61
    Options
    I'm a 5:00 am runner. Before moving to Tennessee a few years ago I'd run in everything down to -5 degrees. I have to admit that the winters here in the south are quite a bit milder. But now I have to deal with something I never encountered in Ohio. . . hills. It all makes us stronger.

Good luck.

Mike
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 520am to go running, and especially in the winter it is really hard to get out the door. I live in Mass, and the average temps from dec. to march at that hour range from 0-25 degrees, and of course after this past January, 4 ft of snow on the ground and sidewalks to maneuver around. And dont forget about the ice. I usually come home with ice in my hair!!! Key things are : 1. good wicking fabrics, 2. reflective clothing 3. a light (head lamp or flashing clip on light). Its not easy, but when I am done and ready to start the day i feel great. I also get up on Mondays at 430 and do a power swim class from 5-6!
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Oh, so it seems I'm not crazy for wanting to take my running to the cold mornings...
    Question:

What do I want to ware?
    I have some tights by new ballance,
    And several fleece and drylite shirt fabrics..

But I can't help going out the door in gloves and a wool hat with my down jacket, which of course is awful 20 mins later.

Do you rough it for the first 20 mins? Or do you bring a light pack for your layers?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I cant go out in cold weather feeling cold. I usually wear a drylite shirt, then a heavy shirt over that, or a sweatshirt over that, and then a windbreaker. I wear thick tights as well, and mittens and hat. If its below 20 I will wear a neck warmer or balaclava as well!! If I get too warm (which never happens in 2o degrees) i can always unzip and take off my mittens and neck warmer!!!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    First of all, I don't wear any cotton when its cold.
    If its in the 50s I wear a pair of shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt
    40s running pants and a light weight fleece top (I like the quarter zips so I can zip or unzip to regulate my temps)
    30s running pants and a light weight fleece top with a technical shirt underneath, light weight polyester gloves and a knit cap
    20s running pants, light weight fleece top with under armour cold gear underneath, gloves and knit cap
    10s same but substitute a heavier fleece
    0s add a wind jacket and maybe something to cover parts of your face. Eddie Bauer sells a buff that would be great for that.

depending on the weather I might make some substitutions like substitute the fleece for a wind jacket.

I've always warmed right up after 5 minutes of running. I don't like the idea of taking something off and then having to carry it.

Hope this helps

Mike
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Oh yeah, If the sun isn't up yet, I wear a reflective vest. No lamp or blinky things. I don't listen to music so I can hear cars coming. I did just buy a Road ID in case something does happen
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    Thank you, Mike for your diligent breakdown of what you ware.
    It was 19 when I ran today, and I went out cold, but warmed up nicely.
    I was actually quite comfortable, except for the hole in the tip of my right glove, I was excited for the hole so I could work my iPhone, but I found my finger froze instead. I'll be getting new gloves...

I do like running in the dark, makes it easier.
    Luckily, here my issues are not cars.
    ( I live in a town of 400 people)
    My problem are bears and more, cats, big and small.
    Not common to have encounters...

I just got running tights, are they the same as the pants you are referring to?
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    I'm told there are bears and big cats around here, but I've never seen any sign of them. I'm guessing not very many of them. So far my closest encounter has been with the neighborhood dogs (I seem to be the only one around that doesn't let their dog run loose) and a skunk I almost stepped on (fortunately for me he wasn't too bothered by the event).

I think the tights are probably the same. I'm just to self conscious to run around town in them. :-)
  • Firewhirrrl
    Options
    If you are too self conscious, then yes they are the same:)

And we also have loose dogs.

I will go again in the morning... Hope to go for 35 minutes.
    Today I went for an hour, which for this week will suffice or my long run.

I know it is going to snow all week, so this is my commitment:

To make it up and out.... Every morning. Sat, sun, mon, tues and wed.
    That's the plan.
    I don't much care what I do when I get out there.
    Baby steps mean:
    1. Wake up
    2. No excuses
    3. Put on the silly tights
    4. Walk out the door.

That's all I ask of me right now...:) it's a good goal.

To health!
  • micklepickle61
    Options
    Cheers!