Attention moms ( of litle ones)

Options
do u log childcare under calories burned? I literally had a workout bathing my toddlers and getting them in pjs! I mean weight lifting, running squats etc... I'm exhausted

Replies

• bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I don't usually just because I really didn't think about it actually being exercise even though it is a lot of exercise. Heck, I stay at home with my little one, that'd be a lot of calories burned, one would think? Good question!
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I have 3 kids and I dont log it... 2 are under 3
  • smalltowngirl504
    Options
    I have 3 kids and I dont log it... 2 are under 3
  • madmegan
    madmegan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't because I do that every day. I would only log it if it isn't something that I don't normally do...
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It funny you say that because one time at my Dr's he asked me what my routine was at night when I got home. I told him my basic things- getting dinner ready, doing laundry, bathing kids...etc. He then goes " Oh that is really active." That was normal life- so I would think wrestling kids for bathtime would be extra calories to me. I also think cleaning the house is something you can log as calories burned.
  • swtchrypie
    Options
    i dont log it in, but I think of it as my "extra" calories. So if i have a bad day or don't measure something right i have a little wiggle room. Trust me with my little guy I might as well be running a marathon he wants to play "swords" all day long!!! My little pirate.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't log it.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Nope. It's part of my daily activity.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I used to log it, but don't anymore. How long does it take you? It only takes me about 10 min to get my 2 year old from bath to bed. I don't really think thats long enough to log, but if it was 25+ minutes, I would log it.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I'd only log it, or some of it, if you selected "sedentary" as your daily lifestyle.
    More accurate though, if you have selected that, would be to change your lifestyle to lightly active or active. this gives you more calories to account for just that general daily stuff that you do, that someone who parks on their behind 99% of the time doesn't do.
  • amyjknight
    Options
    Well somewhere on here, in the tools section I think, it tells you how many calories you would burn if you were only resting all day.
    I wouldn't log that activity just so that you wouldn't eat more. You know when you log activity, they give you more calories. By doing that, you should have a tad bit more weight loss.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    That physical activity is accounted for in the settings (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) and if it is a part of your normal routine, do not log it or you will be 'double dipping' the burn so to speak b/c that activity is already accounted for when setting your caloric deficit.

I have 5 kids and I've never logged it.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    nope!! taking care of the babies is a daily normal activity!! only log things that are out of the norm...like you are sweating your butt off!! and your heart rate is elevated!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I don't log it as is part of my normal routine. The only think kid related that I count is when I take my 5 yr old on bike rides in the park because I run along side him.
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Well I don't log it either but as I sat down to eat something after 20 minutes or so of dealing with the two of them I was like wow what a workout and I didn't even log it. My lifestyle is under sedentary because I didn't think I was so active- also I don't want them to overestimate the calories and slow my weightloss
  • bluerose9483
    bluerose9483 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't log either bc its part of my daily life, but it is def. a workout.
  • TrinityPixie4
    Options
    I don't log it, it's part of my daily activties. It is a workout though, especially chasing after my almost 4 year old (he can be a handful most days).
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I woudlnt log it as exercise. But, if you're on your feet caring for a toddler (I have one, so I know how much work it is) then I think when you do your calculator/settings that you should put that you should take it into consideration there.
  • ANSargent
    Options
    No, but I've thought about whether changing my lifestyle from sedentary up one to the next level. I have a 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter. I only work 20 hours a week, at an office, and before going to the gym, running after my kids, getting people to and from the car, was really my only intense exercise. Unfortunately, it really didn't get me up to the recommended 60 minutes still.

On another note, I am looking for ways to incorporate my kids into exercise routines, like taking them hiking or walking around the playground while they play. Anyone have any great activities they do with their kids for exercise?
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    No, but I put my activity level as lightly active to account for all the kid-wrangling!