Kinect workout calorie burn vs. HRM

Options
I have been working out to the Kinect game Your Fitness Evolved and I love it. I have never been able to stick to a workout for more than a week. And I'm on my third week of this. :) It's definitely not perfect, but its something that gets me motivated and excited to workout. And since I've never been physically active much before, its a great starting place for me.

My only concern is the calorie burn that it gives me. According to the game, I burn about 150 calories during the 30-45 minutes that I work out. But according to my (inexpensive) wrist HRM, I burn over 400. Which number should I go by, and why is there such a huge difference?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Always go with your heart rate monitor. The game isn't keeping track of your heart rate now, is it? :) That number is based on rough research estimates and whatnot. I have the Biggest Loser game for Wii and it'll say I've burned 89 calories for an hour and a half long workout when really I've burned almost 800 calories.
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I def would say to go by the HRM. But I do recommend you invest in a HRM with a chest strap. I got my thru Amazon and it was a really good deal. But that's going to give you the most accurate burn to track,
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I would go with the game burning 400 calories in 30 min is all but impossible. it's a lot harder to burn calories than we think. People over estimate a lot. I just got a timex HRM and the formula they use for calories burned is crazy high. go out to the web and just check some sites for calories burned and compair you will see that 400 is way to high
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Also read thread 50 ways to burn 100 calories some are just funny but it will show you how hard it can be to burn calories