Exercises for Asthmatics?

Options
I've been having a LOT of trouble with my asthma lately. It's been a terrible winter. But I still want to get myself looking good for the summer and I know that if I don't start now, it's not going to happen. Is there anything I can do that isn't too strenuous and won't cause asthma attacks?

Replies

• toodleton
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you!!!! I have been experiencing a major flare up with my asthma, really bad in the last 2 weeks and I'm like you, I really need to start working out and can't :(
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    me too. this winter has been AWFUL for me! i had been able to stop using my puffers except for change of season, but this winter i've had to use them almost daily. i know it's not a bad case, but it sux.

i'm considering asking Dr. for oral treatment. my dd (dear daughter) takes Singulaire and it's helped her tremendously!
  • a2canadian
    Options
    yoga yoga yoga!! Learning how to breathe propperly is really essential to being able to cope with asthma. Oh and head over to Africa and buy some albuterol inhalers for 5$ a pop :D
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    I wonder what it is about this winter in particular? I have NEVER had asthma problems like this before. It got to the point where I had to be put on Advair along with my singulair and rescue inhaler. So frustrating.
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I saw an allergist who recommended not eating celery before working out as they have an effect on the severity of the asthma attack. I'm already allergic to celery so this is not a problem for me. He said asthmatics should just stay away from celery all together. As for working out... take it at your pace only. Be safe. You are the only one who knows how much you can do. Possibly 3 small workouts a day. 10 minutes at a time.
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma since I was 4 and discovered singulair when I got into junior high. It's a life-saver for me that allows me to do activities like running and soccer, but I've heard from at least one other person that it didn't work for them. When I'm taking Singulair I don't need albuterol, except when I get SICK or run out of meds. When I do get sick or if I'm having a lot of trouble (like during the winter) I also take Advair once a day (you can take it up to twice a day). Advair can be very expensive without health insurance, and singulair is slightly less, but still up there in price.

If those aren't an option, try out yoga and strength training. :)
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    yoga yoga yoga!! Learning how to breathe propperly is really essential to being able to cope with asthma. Oh and head over to Africa and buy some albuterol inhalers for 5$ a pop :D

I second this! I do hot yoga and was a little worried that it would make my asthma worse, but on the contrary, I have been almost inhaler free since I started going regularly a month ago!
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    Wow! Yoga it is, then! Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate your advice. :)