who makes frozen meals?

Options
I'm thinking of making a few meals I can freeze for on days I have little time. I want to have something I can rely on to keep me on track. Anyone here make them? Just wanting some simple recipes. I've already got many ideas of things I could make...but I don't want to waste my time. I would rather make the "tried, and true" meals :happy:

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well I do up lasagna, meat sauce, sloppy joe and hamburger mixture, pancakes, meat loaf and much more. I do them all in one serving size containers that I already know the calorie count for. I also sometimes like to just cook scrambled hamburger or chicken and measure it out so later if I want to add it into a meal it is already done.
  • NykoleMazzola
    Options
    ive done the lasagna thing too but i'd like some ideas :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If the food companies can make something and add tons of preservatives to freeze it for what a year or more for some stuff? I can make it and freeze it to very few ill effects, short term at least.

I make a double-batch of pancakes and freeze them in "meal" packages, which means for my size of pancakes they are frozen in packs of 4. Just a standard from scratch pancake recipe, freezes just fine and goes in the toaster to warm up when it's time to eat.

I make BIG batches of soup or stew and freeze it, what'd you think those yogurt containers were good for besides use as planters, I haven't found a soup yet that doesn't handle at least short-term freezing, as long as there is enough fluid to cover the contents.

Even macaroni and cheese freezes ok short term, I do take some shredded cheese along to freshen it when I heat it up again.

Hamburger casserole - my basic recipe makes up fine with and ground meat besides beef and did fine with kidney beans in place of the meat, freezes well for a month. Having only one casserole pan I tend to line the dish with aluminum foil to wrap the finished product in, pull it out of the casserole dish and fold it over, then the dish is available for cooking other things rather than being tied up in the freezer.

I only bake bread as I need it, but have frozen my dough for a couple of weeks to again no ill effects.

Just make sure anything you're going to freeze is well marked, well sealed and have fun with it.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Oh I also suggest you start to experiment with what freezes well. If I have a bit of left overs from a meal that I know is only going to go to waste I throw a spoonful in a freezer bag to try it later. That way you do not freeze a bunch of food you will only end up throwing out because you do not like the taste after it defrost. For example if I do not mind spaghetti noodles frozen but I find macaroni gets too mushy.
  • jenkramer
    jenkramer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I preportion taco meat made from the Extra Lean Jennie O turkey. I portion it into ziplocs - usually 4-5 servings to a pound. I eat it several different ways - on a salad, in two corn tortillas (for only 100 cals), in a pita, on baked tortilla chips etc (depending what I have on hand). It's a high protein low calorie meal - and always hits the spot. Ready in 5 minutes or less!
  • momofboysx4
    Options
    I like using the "Don't Panic, It's in the Freezer" cook books. I have had French Dips, Pork on the Run, Shish-ka-,bobs, stroganoff, Cheesy Chicken Bundles, etc., all with great success.
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love making soup! My favorite.... either butternut squash with carrots, or sweet potatoe with carrots, pureed in chicken stock.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My next trick will be swapping from frozen soups to pressure-canning them and making use of my wide array of mason jars and thereby not run into waste problems when the freezer quits due to the furnace repair man blowing the fuse the freezer is on.