CALLING ALL RUNNERS!!! Pain in lower legs??? Need Help!

Options
I've started to run on the treadmill---about 3 weeks ago... I started out at 14 min mile and then knocked it down to 11 min!!! UMMMM then my lower leg on the INSIDE hurts like CRAZY!!!

1st--- WHY?
2nd--- HOW TO PREVENT???
3rd--- Please tell me what I should to ease the pain!!!
4th--- What kind of stuff should I do in the meantime (I cannot run AT ALL)

THANKS

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, go see a doctor and get an xray, im very concerned you could have a stress fracture from doing a bit too much too soon!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem... I think for me it's just shin splints but I'm going to the doctor to make sure anyways. I'm still walking on the treadmill, the stairmaster, elliptical, and taking classes at the gym, but I'm avoiding running altogether. it really sucks when you want to start running and something like this puts it all to a hault. hopefully it's just shin splints and not anything more serious for you :( good luck
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Is the pain in the front/shin? If so It is probably a shin splint. If not, I have no idea. If it is a shin splint it means you need new shoes or to add cushions in them. This just happened to me 3 weeks ago. it means you have rest for a week (Like don't even walk) and put ice on them and/or Icy-hott. After a week of rest go running again and the pain will come right back but you HAVE to run through it, it will stop after you run though it. Always stretch it before/after and sometimes during workouts.
  • stacielynn1
    Options
    defiently go get it checked out. Remember to slowly go into an exercise regimen doing to much to fast can cause tendons around your knee to tear or get stretched out, also it can cause stress fractures in your lower extremities. Coming from someone who has torn her ACL, MCL, and 80% of her cartlidge in her knee do not take things like this lightly get a professional opinion about whats going on!!! the pain btw is it near ur knee or ankle or between???
  • Hannabelle
    Options
    I would also advise a doctor. I'm not a great runner, but my mum and sister are SRS BSNS athletes for netball so they know about this stuff.

If it's muscular, I can help. If it's not, sorry I can't :(

Assuming it's muscular... Did you warm up before and after? I often get very sore if I don't warm up properly.
    It could be your shoes - like the way you're landing - shoes help this
    I would advise going to a sport shop and getting something called a spiky ball: http://www.mytpi.com/images/products/medium/spikey_ball_kit.jpg
    No, I'm serious, lie there and grind this thing into your muscles. It helps sooo much. Also, hot showers and baths, and also ice baths and showers help. Lots of water, make sure you get enough sodium, etc.

These all help :)

Hope it gets better soon! :)
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This sounds like shin splints to me. You can ice your shins and take ibuprofen for pain. You definitely want to take it down a notch (maybe do some fast walking instead). The continual pounding when you are running is probably puttting too much pressure on them that they are not use to. Read up on it. Shin splints can be very painful.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    yeah, so go see a doctor and get an xray to make sure it's not a stress fracture --- if it is, you shouldn't be able to walk on it at all - it will hurt THAT bad, so you should be able to tell, but get an xray to rule it out. You want to treat it right so that you can run again. - .

If it turns out to NOT be one.....welcome to my world

So there is muscle that runs along your shin bone - hurts like hell! That's where the term "shin splints" comes from, but a TRUE shin splint is actually a stress fracture in the shin. SO any way, stretch, stretch, stretch ---- before AND after. I ice it down after stretching. I wear compression knee high socks to hold it tight, makes a huge difference. AND yesterday I ran over an hour straight - feeling great, so there's hope. BUT I went to the doctor to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture, I completed physical therapy as recommended, I stretch ALOT ---- it's important to note that the IT band that runs along the outside of the thigh gets tight when we are learning to run --- seems weird, but when it gets tight it pulls muscles up from the foot (causing that pain in our lower legs) and down from the hip (which causes lower back pain).

Anyway, I can't stress the fact that you stretch --- it's imperative.

Once you feel better, listen to emmaleigh47, slow it way down. C25k is a great program --- I modified it to repeat days until I felt comfortable moving on the next one. Every now and again my shin area hurts, I stretch - ice- and take at least two days off from running --- swim instead and then I'll start walking to make sure it doesn't hurt before I run again.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I agree that it SOUNDS like shin splints but there is zero chance that any of us can diagnose you via a website. You definitely need to go see a doctor.
  • liscar
    Options
    the other thing, I watched EVERY video I could find on You Tube showing how to Chi Run. Made ALL the difference in the world
  • liscar
    Options
    I would also advise a doctor. I'm not a great runner, but my mum and sister are SRS BSNS athletes for netball so they know about this stuff.

If it's muscular, I can help. If it's not, sorry I can't :(

Assuming it's muscular... Did you warm up before and after? I often get very sore if I don't warm up properly.
    It could be your shoes - like the way you're landing - shoes help this
    I would advise going to a sport shop and getting something called a spiky ball: http://www.mytpi.com/images/products/medium/spikey_ball_kit.jpg
    No, I'm serious, lie there and grind this thing into your muscles. It helps sooo much. Also, hot showers and baths, and also ice baths and showers help. Lots of water, make sure you get enough sodium, etc.

These all help :)

Hope it gets better soon! :)

The spiky ball is fabulous! so is one of those rollers for your IT bands
  • katiejaneh
    Options
    Great mile time! Before I start my run, I stretch my calves and legs a bit, and then stretch after when my body is warmed up. Its helped my calf pain, and now I don't have it anymore. Glad you found something you like doing. I LOVE my treadmill. I'm running 2 to 4 miles a day now. I never thought I'd me that girl. Good Luck :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Completely agree about too much too fast!! You have to take it easy, with both speed and distance, especially when you are first starting out. I'm a seasoned runner and I still get caught in the trap of ramping up my mileage too fast as soon as the weather changes. And it usually bites me on the butt. I would also recommend that you find a program like C25k or on runnersworld.com to provide some structure to your routine.

I would also recommend that you get to a specialty running store and get fitted for shoes. Your joints will thank you. Many, but not all injuries and pains are simply caused by ill fitting shoes.
  • dalbers
    Options
    Completely agree about too much too fast!! You have to take it easy, with both speed and distance, especially when you are first starting out. I'm a seasoned runner and I still get caught in the trap of ramping up my mileage too fast as soon as the weather changes. And it usually bites me on the butt. I would also recommend that you find a program like C25k or on runnersworld.com to provide some structure to your routine.

I would also recommend that you get to a specialty running store and get fitted for shoes. Your joints will thank you. Many, but not all injuries and pains are simply caused by ill fitting shoes.

I am going to disagree with that.

I would first get to a running coach and have your technique checked. You can get the best shoes in the world but if your technique is bad, its not going to help.

Everyone assumes they just know how to run correctly. Most people overpronate or supinate, etc... See a running coach or atheletic therapist and get your technique checked.

If they recommend shoes, THEN go get shoes.

The shoe store is ALWAYS going to push shoes over technique. Shoes solve every problem because they sell shoes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Like others said, have a doc check it out.

I would't neccesarily jump on the too much too fast reason. Maybe had you gone up crazy mileage, but not just because you got faster.

Most likely the cause is either wrong shoes, improper warming up or bad (pounding) running form.
  • RMinVA
    Options

I am going to disagree with that.

I would first get to a running coach and have your technique checked. You can get the best shoes in the world but if your technique is bad, its not going to help.

Everyone assumes they just know how to run correctly. Most people overpronate or supinate, etc... See a running coach or atheletic therapist and get your technique checked.

If they recommend shoes, THEN go get shoes.

The shoe store is ALWAYS going to push shoes over technique. Shoes solve every problem because they sell shoes.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Lot's of fuss about something that is most likely nothing other than a bit of tibialis posterior tendonitis, probably caused by a mix of typical newbie enthusiasm (e.g. too much too soon) and poor mechanics in bad or wrong shoes.

Get your gait analysed.
    Get your footwear assessed to ensure it's suitable for your gait.
    Learn about good running form.
    Don't increase your resistance by more than 10% a week.
    Don't concern yourself with pace until you've got your technique right and you can run at least 5k at conversational pace
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Was going to add that I'm not sure what you mean w/ that last sentence. Shoes often solve a lot of problems because they are the problem. You hardly read an article about running/performance that doesn't mention them

As for increasing speed too fast, it can absolutely lead to injury.

Most people want to overanalyze things, when quite often, it's the basics like shoes or too much too fast causing all the problems.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Was going to add that I'm not sure what you mean w/ that last sentence. Shoes often solve a lot of problems because they are the problem. You hardly read an article about running/performance that doesn't mention them

Most people want to overanalyze things, when quite often, it's the basics like shoes or too much too fast causing all the problems.
  • RMinVA
    Options

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Absolutely correct.

Running faster than your ability makes people overstride... overstriding means you heel strike outside of your centre of gravity and THAT will give you shinsplints.