CALCIUM. I NEED IT.

Options
I don't drink milk or eat dairy. We as adults no longer have enough lactase in our bodies to properly break down lactose -- I'm not saying everybody should quit on dairy too, this is just a personal preference. BUT...

I seem to be falling rather short on my calcium intake. Does anybody know of any foods that are a great source of calcium and AREN'T dairy products?

Replies

• mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    my brother drinks a pack of emergen C everyday he says it tastes like tang but like 1000mg of calcium and 5 calories not bad? idk
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    There are vegetables and other foods which contain natural sources of calcium. This [and the related articles] may help you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/240610-what-are-some-non-dairy-sources-to-get-calcium/
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I don't drink milk or eat dairy. We as adults no longer have enough lactase in our bodies to properly break down lactose -- I'm not saying everybody should quit on dairy too, this is just a personal preference. BUT...

I seem to be falling rather short on my calcium intake. Does anybody know of any foods that are a great source of calcium and AREN'T dairy products?
    Agree we do not need to have calcium from milk / diary (I gave this up quite a while ago)
    There are lots of veggies that give calcium...go to this link
    http://bayerhearts.com/Calcium/Foods/Vegetables.aspx
    for example (just a small selection)
    Beans, snap, green, boiled 1 cup 55 mg calcium
    Beans, snap, green, raw 1 cup 41 mg calcium
    Broccoli, boiled 1 stalk 112mg calcium
    Sweet potato, cooked, boiled, without skin 1 cup, mashed 89 mg calcium
    Carrots, raw 1 cup, chopped 42 mg calcium
  • angelinah
    Options
    This is awesome, thank you guys so much!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    canned salmon is a great source of calcium - those little bones!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk. But, I can eat yogurt....go figure...but that is definitely not enough calcium . So, I take a supplement. Calcium, magnesium and vit D. Dr. Oz recommends we do that.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Tinned fish, such as salmon or sardines are great. A doctor once told be off for taking calcium tablets (I read somewhere it was good for migraines) - he said they can cause kidney or gall stones, cant remember which.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I can't drink milk. But, I can eat yogurt....go figure...but that is definitely not enough calcium . So, I take a supplement. Calcium, magnesium and vit D. Dr. Oz recommends we do that.

I'm lactose intolerant and can have yoghurt as in the process of turning the milk into yoghurt, the bacteria convert the lactose.
    So it may be a lactose issue for you too!
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    goats milk stuff...i am lactose intollerant, and even have trouble with yogourt, but i have started eating goats milk yogourt, and mmm, it is so good.
    the 175g cup of it i had today had 30% calcium in it
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Tofu is often pressed in calcium carbonate so some varieties contain really a lot. The one I eat is 155 calories for 125g tofu and contains 80% rdi calcium. Check the labels of the different tofu varieties in your local supermarket and see which one has the most calcium.
  • ReikiLady
    Options
    Yes, they can lead to bone spurs and renal calculi (kidney stones) but don't just take ONE doc's word for it! I encourage my patient's to seek knowledge from legitimate sources ... and to read or listen to more than just one source!
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    canned brislings, never trust a can that just says sardines, look for the good stuff. all those little tiny bones are loaded with calcium. if you can get past the fact that your eating whole fish with little tiny bones.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pak Choi.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm dairy free as well and a cup of soy milk gives me about 30% of my calcium. Then the dark leafy vegetables are great sources of calcium. On days when I notice I'm at the lower end of my calcium I'll make a smoothie with soy milk, banana, strawberries....really whatever I have that sounds good! Hope some of these help!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I tried those a few weeks ago and they are actually pretty good! Alton Brown does this thing with bread, avocado, and the canned brislings and puts them in the oven...have yet to try that but I tried the brislings!
    canned brislings, never trust a can that just says sardines, look for the good stuff. all those little tiny bones are loaded with calcium. if you can get past the fact that your eating whole fish with little tiny bones.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Probably not the best source but I take a calcium supplement everyday : )
  • Bevi1957
    Options
    Green leafy vegetables are a good source of calcium!