How many calories?

Options
I just signed up and was a bit surprised to see that I am only allowed 1290 calories a day. :ohwell: I always thought that we should have a 2000 calorie diet, that's what the back of the box says. :laugh:
Is that normal? It seems like so little to me, I've been over all week...but I will work harder at staying under in the future. Are most of you low like that? Can someone shed some light on this?

Replies

• donna0003
    donna0003 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just signed up and was a bit surprised to see that I am only allowed 1290 calories a day. :ohwell: I always thought that we should have a 2000 calorie diet, that's what the back of the box says. :laugh:
    Is that normal? It seems like so little to me, I've been over all week...but I will work harder at staying under in the future. Are most of you low like that? Can someone shed some light on this?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest it will let you go, as it is in the lowest healthy range. 2000 on the box is assumed to be the average person - so it averages in the 5' small boned lady and the 6'5" 275 lb solid muscle man and comes up with an across the board general average. (As most people fall in the middle when at a healthy weight). Your needs of course vary. Now - your 1290 is likely the amount that FMP gave you to lose weight correct? To maintain your weight your daily intake would be up closer to the 2000 range (likely less being a woman) or that avarage intake. But to lose weight you have to lower the calories down to this low, but healthy range.

You will learn that if you modify what you eat that you will have days that you have a hard time eating enough! Especially if you exercise (eat those exercise calories!) - I feel like I have been eating all day and due to 45 mins on the ellipticaly I have to go find about 700 more calories to eat! I think I am going to do a big bowl of fruit with extra whipped creme and call it a day about 300 low... I always figure the gym machines overestimate my caloreis burned anyway...
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Its all based on size (NOT gender specific). Each of us uses a different amount of fuel each day. Some of us are Semi Trucks, Some of us are Mopeds. Depending on where you fall and your activity level determine your calories.

To try and put it simply, your body uses the following -

BMR Calories - Basic Metabolic Rate - Calories you would use to live if you did nothing
    Activity Calories - Work
    Exercise Calories -
    Digestive Calories - The more food you eat, the more calories you burn

This site take your BMR/Digestive and your Activity Calories and figures out a total.

You then input if you want to lose .5lbs, 1lb or 2lbs per week. Each of these equate to 250 calories per day, 500 calories per day or 1000 calories per day respectively.

If you have a lot to lose, and your daily calorie intake is 2500 to 2800 calories per day. Losing a 1000 calories per day is a considerable chunk and you will see weight loss quite quickly.

If your have a little to lose, and your only lowering your calories by 250 calories per day, You have much less room for error (serving size, binges, not exercising), and will lose weight much slower.

Does this make sense?
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Its all based on size (NOT gender specific). Each of us uses a different amount of fuel each day. Some of us are Semi Trucks, Some of us are Mopeds. Depending on where you fall and your activity level determine your calories.

To try and put it simply, your body uses the following -

BMR Calories - Basic Metabolic Rate - Calories you would use to live if you did nothing
    Activity Calories - Work
    Exercise Calories -
    Digestive Calories - The more food you eat, the more calories you burn

This site take your BMR/Digestive and your Activity Calories and figures out a total.

You then input if you want to lose .5lbs, 1lb or 2lbs per week. Each of these equate to 250 calories per day, 500 calories per day or 1000 calories per day respectively.

If you have a lot to lose, and your daily calorie intake is 2500 to 2800 calories per day. Losing a 1000 calories per day is a considerable chunk and you will see weight loss quite quickly.

If your have a little to lose, and your only lowering your calories by 250 calories per day, You have much less room for error (serving size, binges, not exercising), and will lose weight much slower.

Does this make sense?

wow i agree with everything Tim said... and sense i'm a grand am gt v6(the semi-gas guzzler i drive), i use 1600 cals a day.. and i seem to lose weight pretty well...
  • timisw
    timisw Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    wow i agree with everything Tim said... and sense i'm a grand am gt v6(the semi-gas guzzler i drive), i use 1600 cals a day.. and i seem to lose weight pretty well...

~laughing~ Thanks so much!

Analogies are a wonderful thing!

I wonder if the car thing works out like people buying dogs that fit there personalities?

I have a Red Mazda RX8 that gets only about 21mpg on HWY and 19 to 20 in the CITY. That equates out to me using about 2500 calories per day (not taking out any weight loss) for my 6'2", 190lbs body! Glad I dont try to survive on the recommended calorie count FDA! I would be losing 1lbs per week if I did!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL, Me too Tim!