What's a good way to satisfy a craving to taste?

ttmac96
ttmac96 Posts: 22
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a taster. I'm not hungry. I don't want to eat. I just want to taste! Mainly savory things or just salty. Sometimes I'll just sip tomato juice for the salty, savory taste. Then my belly feels bloated because I wasn't h hungry to start with. And all the little tastes of things I shouldn't have, like the kids peanut butter I sneak in here and here, or the last two or three Ritz crackers my son leaves in the pack add up quick! Self control is obviously a big issue and I'm working on that.

Any tips or ideas on things I can just grab to give in to my urges? I've found that sliced yellow peppers are nice to have around.

Replies

• Sugarless gum helps me.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Try the Dessert Gums-my fav is the mint chocolate chip ice cream one.

You have to fight it---and eventually you will break the habit--something so simple can be hard to do, but you have to do it for you.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    1. Sugar craving- sugarless gum, an apple cut up into slices, or sugar free candy (lifesavers)
    2. Salty craving- egg whites (cooked in mug in microwave) with salt, can of green beans (only 70 calories!)
    3. Crunchy craving- carrots, celery, 100 calorie almond packet

Here is a suggested article as well on low calorie craving busters:
    LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- You've heard the experts say, you need three meals and two light snacks to keep your blood sugar even and to kill the cravings. What if you didn't fall the rules, and your body is screaming for salt or sugar? We've got those smart snacks to stop cravings.

The first thing is to identify what you are really looking for, and then go for the lowest calorie choice possible that still makes your tongue and tummy happy.

For sweet, the following are all under 100 calories:

* 12 animal crackers
    * 3 Hershey's kisses
    * 40 sugar-free jelly beans
    * 2 cups of bright red strawberries
    * 25 grapes

If salt is your sin, look for food that seems salty but are pretty low on the sodium totem pole - under 480 milligrams per serving is the rule.

These include:

* 25 Goldfish Crackers
    * 15 Snyder fat-free mini pretzels
    * 10 low-salt almonds
    * 1/4 cup shelled edamame
    * Mini bag of popcorn

Maybe creamy is what your body is calling for. Look for a cup of low-fat cocoa, cool low-fat Fudgsicle or five creamy cheese bites might satisfy.

You can also combine foods to meet your munchie requirements, like a packet of oatmeal with a teaspoon of jam preserves is both creamy and sweet. Crisp veggies with Goddess dressing gets you creamy and crunchy. A Snack Pack pudding with crushed cookie gives you creamy, crunchy and sweet - a tripe treat.

I HOPE I HELPED!
  • All great ideas! As soon as I posted I dropped kids off at school and went to the grocery store and got peppers lol. AND! I got sweet gherkin pickles! Sweet, peppery, crunchy and only 30 cal for 2! from your replies there will be a new list though. thanks :happy:
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I found an iPhone app called the Snack App. You choose how many calories you want your snack to be...50, 100 or 200. Then you choose what you're hungry for...Salty, Sweet, Crunchy, Creamy, Cheesey, Healthy, Sinful, Late-Night or On-the-Go. When you choose your category, it gives you a list of foods for that amount of calories.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Bump for later

4629248.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    OK... this might sound insane but it works for me :)

I love salt and sometimes I snack on dry roasted salted shelled pistachios -

1. Nuts are a good fat , etc. etc.
    2. It takes time for me to shell them - one by one so it takes me long to eat them
    3. And then if I'm really wanting more salt- I suck on the shells - I love it!!!

If I'm really feeling munchy and want something salty - then I airpop popcorn with salt.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Sometimes, if I'm craving something sweet but not REALLY hungry, I'll take a square of dark chocolate and let it melt on my tongue.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    I saw something on thinkgeek.com that was like a chocolate inhaler. You breath in and you get the taste of chocolate for no calories!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    If you are looking for savory flavor ... clove gum, cinnamon gum, peppermint gum.

If you want savory with a crunch ... raw sliced rutabaga, raw radishes. Sometimes I sprinkle the raw rutabaga with a mixture of coarsely ground peppercorns or peppercorns and dried garlic. You get a LOT of crunch for 100 calories.
This discussion has been closed.