sugar vs. sugar substitue??

rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
There are some things that I absolutely have to have sweetened. (ice tea, oatmeal, etc.) If I absolutely must use some form of sweetener, what is the healthiest kind to use?

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    I have read a lot on this topic so i look forward to hearing what people say :) I've been using honey as one of my sweeteners
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    I use honey or a bit of brown sugar for my oatmeal. I only drink water so I cant help you there. I don't use artificial sweeteners. You can buy a 100% Stevia extract at a health food store- my daughter used this in her green tea.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I use unrefined sugar.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Nothing tastes as good as real sugar. Sigh I'm missing it. I've been using Sugar Twin or Sweet & Low in my coffee.
  • I like using sugar in the raw or stevia, but if you must I would suggest granulated sugar over any type of sugar substitute. Sugar substitutes are a lot sweeter than regular sugar and can increase your appetite. Avoid foods that contain aspartame, 2% of aspartame actually has arsenic!! Talk about slowly poisoning yourself. Good luck!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    I like using sugar in the raw or stevia, but if you must I would suggest granulated sugar over any type of sugar substitute. Sugar substitutes are a lot sweeter than regular sugar and can increase your appetite. Avoid foods that contain aspartame, 2% of aspartame actually has arsenic!! Talk about slowly poisoning yourself. Good luck!

I was just about to buy some sweetener tomorrow actually... now I'm in 2 minds!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Sugar and sugar substitute, one is poisonous and the other will kill you. If you must, try raw honey, or stevia.
  • geocookie
    geocookie Posts: 23 Member
    REAL maple syrup is also good.. it is a very condensed sweetener, so you need less of it for the same level of sweetness.. Just drizzle a little over your oatmeal.. I can easily use one teaspoon and have it be sufficient. The serving is a taBLespoon, so I am only using 1/2rd serving, which hardly affects intake. Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.