how do you do it guys?

Options
I've been trying to loose weight for some time, I eat 1200 cals or less a day(only healthy stuff), run 4 miles 4 times a week, walk 5 miles every day, yet I havent lost a pound in a month! Oh, I'm 5ft and weigh 118 pounds, want to go down to 115... Any help please?

Replies

• coxy1968
    Options
    Hi, you probably need to up your water intake and drink at least 2 litres per day.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If I had to guess, I'd say you weren't eating enough. Try eating about 1400 cals a day (or so) and I bet you'll start to see a difference.

For example, I'm 5ft 2in and eat about 1270 a day net (so base 1270 cals + the cals I burn through exercising - so on exercise days I can easily eat 1500-1600 cals) and I lose 3lbs a month on average.

C
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi there! The less you have to lose, the longer it takes to lose it. Also, you might want to consult a nutritionist about your caloric intake. I say that because you are eating 1200 calories a day and burning a bunch of calories on a daily basis. Sounds like it may be a bit off balance and you may need to increase your caloric intake. Then again, more needs to be taken into consideration so consult a professional on this one.

On a side note, 118 is a healthy weight for you so good job on staying there.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Your body is dying for some food! You're eating 1,200 or less and doing all that exercise? You need to fuel your body...right now it's backfiring on you because you're starving it, not fueling it. You need to calculate how much you are burning through exercise and eat some of those calories in addition to the 1,200 minimum per day that your body needs to function. The biggest dispute on this site is eating exercise calories (some people don't eat any, some eat part of them, some eat all of them). I find eating part of my exercise calories on some days but none on others seems to work for me, but I'm not doing near the calorie burn that you are doing on a daily basis.

I know it's counter-intuitive, but up your calories eaten by quite a bit and I'll think you actually see the scale move in the direction you are looking for.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I know it is going to sound crazy, but you are not eating enough. If you are running 4 miles and walking a lot you are burning a ton of calories doing that. I will guestimate at least 500 and I think that is pretty low. That means if you are only eating 1200 calories you are netting 700. You need to net 1000-1200.
    I know a lot of people have different opinions about eating ecercise calories back, but I have a friend who is a boxer. He goes to the gym twice a day for an hour or two each time. He was eating like 1200 calories and could not drop the 5lbs to stay in his weight class. He went to see a nutritionist. She told him with the amount of working out he was doing he needed to eat like 4000 calories. (keep in mind he is a boxer, constant weight training and aerobic) He increased his calories and that worked he dropped the weight.

I think you should try to net at least 1000 calories keep in mind it might take a few weeks to get your metabolism revved up so don't panic if you see a gain the first few weeks. It will catch up.

There is also a post about 700 calories and still not losing you should read. That will help you understand and it comes from a proffessional. (i am not)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    eat. if you are running 4 miles on 1200 calories or less, your metabolism in going to totally dwindle because it has no fuel!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Not to trivialize your goal as we each have our own, but it seems like you're putting yourself through a lot just to see the scale go down 3 pounds. It sounds like you're already at a very good weight, especially for your height, so maybe instead of the scale, you should just focus on toning up whatever areas you're unhappy with.

Also, you're probably not eating enough, 1200 should be the MINIMUM that you eat, plus you should be eating back your exercise calories.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I thought it would give me an extra push if I didnt eat my exercise calories back... But I will get stuck in and see what happens. Will let you know how it goes.
    When I've started dieting last year I was 135 pounds (a lot for my height), but I managed to drop 17 off, its just those 3 that love me so much they dont want to go away... :-/
    Thanks guys!
  • jennarheay
    Options
    I am also in the same boat- I workout, eat right, drink a minimum of 12 glasses of water or tea a day, and then just do my daily living activities since I am a mother of 2 girls. I am very busy but do not seem to be losing any weight.. I was told to change my calorie intake once or twice a week to a higher number so that it kind of "shocks" my body. Does something like that help? I have never done it but kind of thought about different things I can do. I have followed the routines in fitness magazines, runners ,magazine for months and still nothing. Help me please,,
  • NicholasMongold
    Options
    I'd love to offer any sort of help just message me :)