New to MFP, need a little guidance.

BACKDROPsilhouette
BACKDROPsilhouette Posts: 20
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Alright, here we go. I keep reading that I have to eat all of my exercise calories. I'm eating 1500-1600 calories a day, but I typically work out 70 minutes a day and burn 500-600 calories a day. I read in one forum that 1000 calories was "starvation central." I would eat more of my exercise calories, however I'm not usually hungry during meals and by the end of the day it's time for bed and I see no reason to eat more. My food diary is open to anyone that wants to view it, though I've only used it these past two days. I realize I have some work to do to keep the fat and sodium under the recommended, but I just started doing this and it's taking some getting used to. When I click to complete the day, it usually says I would weigh 229 or something in 5 weeks if I ate like that every day (I'm 245 now) so that looks great to me (I wanted to lose more than 2 pounds per week anyway, but MFP wouldn't let me choose anymore than that), so I was wondering if someone could help me readjust the calories or whatever so that I could lose 3 pounds per week, or give me some advice. I'm worried that if I eat like I have the past two days and work out like I do that I won't lose weight or something. As much as I've read on the website about eating your exercise calories, I'm not sure what to do. If any additional information is needed, I'll provide it ASAP.

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    I don't eat back my calories because I was not losing any weight with that method.

As soon as I stopped eating back my exercise calories I began to lose. :)

*Just my opinion
  • Let me explain my take on it with an example.

MFP tells me I should eat around 2400 cal a day to maintain weight.
    But I want to lose weight so I choose the recommended settings to lose 500 cal a day (1 pound per week).
    That puts my calorie allowance at 1900 cal a day without exercise.
    I like to eat so I have to exercise a lot. Usually between 500 and 900 cal a day. Bringing my allowance to at leas 2400 cal

That leaves me usually ending the day with at least 500 cal in the green (meaning I could eat more).
    But I usually don´t spend those cal which means I´m losing 1000 cal a day (2 pounds per week)

Remember, losing weight fast is really dangerous in that you´re much more likely to put it back on again soon.
This discussion has been closed.