I dont have the energy to exercise help!

Options
I have not worked out for aabout 4 months even though i have my membership, i just dont know what discourages me. When i go to the gym I feel like dragging to workout. Is there something i can do to change this?? Is there an exercise that will help me get moving.. and that is fun to do?? thanks for the advice! i look forward to reading your suggestions.

Replies

• ginnygreg
    Options
    Try Zumba. It is fun and more like dancing than working out. You will burn a ton of calories too.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    go in the morning before work :)
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I would suggest getting a friend to go with you or taking some favorite music you like to listen to. Even going someplace where you can still watch TV would help as these things would distract the actual workout and make it fun!
  • doll2002
    doll2002 Posts: 427
    Options
    Try going with a friend or co-worker. It helps me to have someone to talk to while I'm working out. It also makes time go by. It might not work for everyone but it works for me.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba. It is fun and more like dancing than working out. You will burn a ton of calories too.

Zumba is fun and you can get the videos online, so if you feel better about doing it alone i say go that route, i love Zumba sometimes i do it with my sister in law at her house or just me and then there are times my 7 year daughter will do it with me..
  • stacybrowning
    Options
    Zumba is sooo much fun!! Try it! Or my only suggestion is just doing classes. I hate working out on treadmill, but love classes. Find one you really like and do it. You make friendships there and that keeps you motivated to come and accountable. I love my classes and would miss everyone terribly if we all didn't come every week. We even make a point to go out after every once in a while. It makes class more fun when you make friends while doing it!!! Good luck
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    What will help you with not having enought energy is EXERCISE!
    Not everyone likes exercise - most hate it - but they know that they need it in order to be healthy.
    There are so many excuses why not to exercise - you just gotta do it.

If you don't know what you like - try everything!
    Try step class, zumba, yoga, pilates, kick boxing, dancing, swimming, weight lifting, runing, elliptical, stationary bike.

Even on days when I am dreading going to the gym I am AMAZED on how energized I feel when I am done with a tough work out.

As Nike says - JUST DO IT!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I feel like this often too, lucky for me, I have some cardio equipment at home. I basically FORCE myself to do it at the end of the day. About 1/2 way through I want to quit, but then when I am 75% through I am GLAD and actually have more energy at that point. Just push yourself to do it so it becomes like a natural habit such as showering and brushing your teeth. Don't give yourself a choice, just DO IT! :)

Other members gave some great suggestions, such as going with a friend and working out first thing in the morning! Good luck!
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I workout at Curves where I do circuit training... there has been MANY MANY days that I have not felt like going, but once I get up there and start, it only usually take me a half time around the circuit to really start feeling into it again... my pace picks up and I really burn those calories. Afterward, I focus on how good my body feels, how much energy I now have... THAT motivates me to keep going because I know I feel better afterward.

Try and find something YOU enjoy... whether it be Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, or even just dancing or walking and do it. Eventually, your body will want it again...

Good Luck!
  • erinkelly2
    erinkelly2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Go in the mornings. If I do not go in the morning before my kids wake up I never end up getting there,
  • bluehooked
    bluehooked Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I enjoy using an exercise bike, its fun and you can watch the telly, listen to music, whatever suits you. Kenny
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Agree with Zumba! I never stuck with a workout like I do Zumba. I have so much fun, I love to go to class! There are times when I do not feel like going, especially after a bad day at work, but I feel sooooo much better after going!

Go to Zumba.com to find a class near you. There's always the DVDs (heard they are kind of hard tho) and now Wii and Xbox games for Zumba too. I have yet to try the DVDs or games, I just love going to the classes.
  • ShelleyBowman
    ShelleyBowman Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Having a workout buddy goes a long way! See if any of your friends are interested in meeting you to work out. If not, drag yourself to the gym and make friends with someone there. You'll find if you are expected to meet someone there, it makes it a bit easier to get off your butt and actually do it.

Another suggestion is variety... a couple of friends and I change our program every couple of weeks so we are always learning something new and and not getting into a rut. Think outside the box. We did belly dancing 1x/wk for 6 weeks, next is water aerobics 1-2x/wk for 4 weeks, roller skating, Zumba, etc.

Best of luck to you!
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    are you saying your bored? or are you saying that you just don't have the energy? I came to a stall a few years ago, I think it was because I felt like I didn't have the energy anymore. I think I needed some kind of supplement to help give me more energy. such as protein and fiber....I think I wasn't getting enough. MFP has their settings low on the food journal. should probably set your protein for about 105 and fiber for about 35....and try to aim for about that. see how you feel with that? so far I'm feeling great! there are some great protein/fiber drinks at Wegman's for fair prices. the one I really like is Nutivia hemp protein plus fiber chocolate drink. I make smoothies from it, with banana, peanut butter (creamy).....good way to start the day!
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I ure didnt feel like going last nght to spin class, and even still halfway through I was in my funk. But when we finished, and I could feel that good burn in my legs, I was GLAD and my mood lifted and I felt good for the first time all day.
    Im glad my MFP buddies encouraged me to go.
    The best part is seeing the extra calories I earned afterwards! I usually eat back 25 - 50% of them. Dinner was shrimp cocktail and popcorn lol
  • Casey114
    Options
    I have the same problem - I have a membership, I hate going to the gym. So I accepted that.

I now work out at home doing Leslie Sansone's Walking Programs, a few fun DVD's and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I alternate Jillian and Leslie for a goal of 6 days a week.

I've lost 25 lbs just eating healthy and excercising at home. I have weights, a mat, my DVD's and my cable network has an Exercise on Demand Channel that has a TON of different workouts including Zumba, Yoga, Cardio, Biggest Loser, Abs, Sculpting, Dance... I play around and see what I like too.

All it takes is 10 minutes 3 times a day to workout, or so my dietian tells me.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? Are you drinking enough? You may want to increase your protein.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I start out first thing in the morning exercising and it helps give me energy for my day. With 100 or so pounds yet to lose, I am starting off working out at home with Wii dance dvd's like Zumba, Gold's Gym Dance Workout and Just Dance. I highly recommend these. They give you a great workout, increase your heart rate and most importantly, they are FUN, so you forget you are doing "work."

I have to exercise to save my heart from a slew of hereditary strikes against me so that and wanting to be around for my two small children are my motivators.

Ask yourself what benefit there is in holding on to the extra fat? What is being overweight and out of shape allowing you to avoid? Your motivation will kick in when letting go of your fear of being happy becomes more important than holding on to the past.

You CAN do this! Join me. I have a long journey ahead of me and will be here for many years to come.
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    what is rich in protein? i do try to get my water in.. but sometimes i feel that 8 glasses has me bloated :(
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I will try it. Thanks!