morning mahem.

Options
I want to get up early and go swimming three days a week, but when the alarm goes off I want to throw up or something. I HATE morning. Has anyone found that mornings are for sure the BEST time to exercise - why is this? Also, anybody got tips for getting up earlier? Or how to motivate myself in better ways to do this?

Replies

• bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    I want to get up early and go swimming three days a week, but when the alarm goes off I want to throw up or something. I HATE morning. Has anyone found that mornings are for sure the BEST time to exercise - why is this? Also, anybody got tips for getting up earlier? Or how to motivate myself in better ways to do this?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    not for everyone. And I did a ton of research on this a few months back, while there are VERY slight metabolic advantages to exercising in the morning, all the studies I checked confirmed that when ever you can get out to exercise comfortably is the best time for you. It's much more important to be excited about exercise then to do it in the morning. Why? Because if you hate something, you're much less likely to continue doing it in the long run. If you don't like getting up in the morning to exercise, and you don't think it's just a habbit thing holding you back, then don't. Find a different time that will make you happier.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I know that if I exercise in the morning, then I'll probably get it in--if I wait, there always seems to be an excuse or something comes up. Plus, it's so dang HOT here right now that after about 9:00am who wants to be out in 80-100 degree weather with 90-99% humidity??:noway:
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    I totally understand about the humidity factor. It gets that way here as well. I wait until the sun goes down to exercise at night, but it IS appealing in the morning - I just need to get up and move around for about a half an hour before I'm ready to exercise, and my husband leaves for work at 7 AM and I have two kids - so it's tough to do. I also want to fit in a shower.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have a really easy time getting up on Tuesdays and Thursdays because there is a group of girls at the gym that do a circuit class together every Tuesday and Thursday. There are 4 of us that are regular, but today I think we had about 9. It's great. It's more like a personal training session than anything else.

But...Some mornings there is no chance I'm getting out of bet (I'm off for the summer - teacher). But I've found out that unless I'm super tired, I'll just lay there thinking about the fact that I had gotten up, I'd feel better, etc. and feeling guilty about not doing it.

I guess you need to find what works for you. I never thought I could/would willing get up at 5:!5 to get to the gym by 5:30, but it's so so so so nice to be done and ready for the day by 7:30 - plus I can get ready in peace while my boys are sleeping.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I read that especially for runners, your muscles are more likely to be tight in the morning. That means more stretching and warming up before working out. If you can find an extra 10 mintues in the morning to really let your body wake up, then more power to you and the morning workout. Though I'm less liekely to fit in a workout in the evenings, I notice that I will pussh myself ahrder then I would in the mornings. That fear of being that person that crashes at their desk at work keeps me from going all out!

But, as Banks said, it's about breaking the habit.

:flowerforyou:
    Best of luck!
  • cwilson715
    cwilson715 Posts: 130
    Options
    I use to be a morning person before I had my daughter but not I am dying to sleep in. My husbands works night so I like to stay up with him on his days off. The problem is my daughter is up no later then 7. I have found that if I spend a few minutes picking up the house, folding laundry or doing something like that it is easier for me to wake-up. Good Luck!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Swimming is awesome! I swim 4-5 days a week from 5:30-6:30 - which means I get up at 4:30 (plus a couple of snooze sessions, lol).

What worked for me is:
    1. If I don't go in the morning, I don't go at all. In the PM - all my time is swallowed by the kids, dinner, lessons, etc, etc.

2. I have three kiddos - if I leave the house in the AM, then hubby gets them ready for school and drops them off while I dress for work at the college (where I swim) and go straight to work....peace and quiet! Ahhhhh - totally worth it!!

I don't know what I will do when the kids leave home, lol... hopefully a decade or so is long enough for a habit to be permanently etched in my brain?

I find that I HAVE to go to bed earlier now - must be in bed around 9:30ish (which also helps curb the night-time eating).