training for a half marathon and having some new knee pain..

Options
I am on my 3rd week of training for my 1st half marathon. I have logged 66 miles so far. a week in a half ago my knee pain started on the outer left side of the knee cap. IT never hurts the 1st 2 miles or even after I am done running, but by the 4th or 5th mile it really hurts. Anyone having the same trouble? What can I do so that I can achieve my goal of running this half marathon without injuring myself. I stretch afterwords and apply ice to it at night before bed along with ibuprofen.

Replies

• taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    How new are your shoes?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    What was your mileage base before you started training for the half marathon?
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yea I run 25+ miles a week as well and have knee problems... Maybe try wearing a supportive brace? Thats what my doctor is having me doo so my knee cap does pop out of place hehe since I am refusing surgery again >.> no want!!
  • Behavioral
    Options
    A couple of questions:
    1. Right at the knee or just below?
    2. Inside of the knee (toward the midline of the body) or outside of the knee?
    3. Would you describe it as a burn or an ache?
    4. Does the pain feel like it's in the muscle, the bone, or inside the joint?
    5. If you start walking, does the pain stop right away?
    6. Are you just starting running or increasing distance from a regular run?
    7. Do you experience weakness with the pain?
    8. After you've worn a pair of shoes (any pair, not just running shoes), when you put them flat on the ground on the soles, do they lean in or out or do they just sit flat?
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    shoes are newer.. I bought them on black friday. The pain is on the outside of my knee cap. It feels like muscle and it is more of an ache. I wear 2 sports bras,(just because I like to feel really secure) The pain goes away with walking. I am normally the sprinting type and used to do HIIT on the treadmill, that equaled less than 10 miles a week. I am now doing 22-25 a week in the last 3 weeks of training. I am also a weight lifter so my legs and knees are pretty strong. My shoes always sit flat on the ground. I dont experience too much weakness, but when I hit mile 5 today I was ready to be done because of the achiness. Cardiovascular wise I could have kept going.
    I saw a dr today who said the left hip is much tighter than the right hip so I need to stretch a lot more...
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    One dumb question: did you ease into the increase from 10 to 25 miles/week?
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    no i jumped in and did 21 miles the 1st week, 22 the 2nd and this week i did 23.....:embarassed:
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Ahhh ... so your knee pain is likely significant overuse! Stop running for 1-2 weeks to rest it, take some ibuprofen and then start back at about 10 miles and slowly increase your mileage by week to week, no more than 10% per week.

When you increase your mileage too fast your body likes to revolt by causing injury ... I know you want to get more miles in, but ya gotta be gentle. One of my favorite things about my last training for a half... I never had significant injury ... even after the race (aside from blisters of course)! Because I eased my mileage up slowly... and every 3 weeks or so I would actualy back down my mileage!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    When I was marathon training I got to about 20 miles on my long runs and my knee was in significant pain. Internet research showed either IT Band or Jumpers Knee. I researched and did the recommended treatment for both. I got through my marathon and then got an official diagnosis, Jumper's Knee, which was a muscle imbalance causing my knee caps to pull to one side. I've spent all winter cross training with P90X and doing stretching which I was terrible at before. I"m back running pain free. Sometimes stepping out of the running box may be a better plan.

I'd suggest weight training for two days you are now running and rest up an extra day before you long runs.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    no i jumped in and did 21 miles the 1st week, 22 the 2nd and this week i did 23.....:embarassed:

and therein lies the problem... :huh:

I take it you're not following a structured training plan for the race then...??!

Some intervals on the treadmill don't prepare you for endurance running. You may have the cardiovascular fitness but getting used to continued impact takes time and patience.

Google Hal Higdon and look at his Novice HM plan.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    Actually I am follwoing a plan designed by an olympic trainer. The Dr I work with got the plan from her old trainer I guess... The plan has me running 6 days a week, this week starting last Sundayi ran 4 miles, 3miles, 4 miles,4 miles, 3 miles and 5 miles. 10.3 min miles...I have a little bit of OCD, so it freaks me out a little to cut miles out of my runs, but I know it is for the better. Does anyone else have a better training program I could follow? I have looked in to Hal's programs...
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I used Galloways programs and liked them much better - just google for them.
    I would venture to say that running 6 days per week is probably too much - but again just my opinion.
    I never run 2 days in a row, and Galloway doesnt advise it either...
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Actually I am follwoing a plan designed by an olympic trainer. The Dr I work with got the plan from her old trainer I guess... The plan has me running 6 days a week, this week starting last Sundayi ran 4 miles, 3miles, 4 miles,4 miles, 3 miles and 5 miles. 10.3 min miles...I have a little bit of OCD, so it freaks me out a little to cut miles out of my runs, but I know it is for the better. Does anyone else have a better training program I could follow? I have looked in to Hal's programs...

Maybe this olympic trainer was used to designing programmes for olympic athletes, rather than people relatively green to running.

It's up to you but personally I think there is little point following a programme that is likely to not even get you to the start line never mind the finish line, because it's completely outside of your range of ability.

General rules for newbies are not to run on consecutive days and not to build weekly mileage by more than 10%, but you know your body best and what you think you can get away with.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice and opinions.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    Yea I run 25+ miles a week as well and have knee problems... Maybe try wearing a supportive brace? Thats what my doctor is having me doo so my knee cap does pop out of place hehe since I am refusing surgery again >.> no want!!

I AM LAUGHING MY BUTT OFF RIGHT NOW!! the 1st time I read your post it was early in the morning and for some reason i didnt read your post right and thought you wrote to try wearing a more supportive bra... so that is why i wrote that bit on 2 sports bras in one of my posts. That just goes to show I need to slow down when I am reading.. FEELING LIKE A BIG DORK...When I read your post I was like I am not sure why wearing a supportive bra will help me knee. lol