• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Insanely accurate. I measure in GRAMS!

Agreed. Same for me.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i measure... in fact i need to get more measuring cups as the ones i need always seem to be used already and in the dishwasher *LOL*

and the scale.. wow.. it has not seen so much use (food scale i mean) in YEARS!

forgot to add...and i put absolutely everything in my diary.. even if i have to break a meal apart and just enter the components to get an accurate accounting *L*
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    seems like those of you who are particular with measuring have the best results. Makes sense
  • rcschmidt6
    rcschmidt6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I literally eat the same thing every day. I've been doing that for about 6 years now. That makes it very easy. Most get would get bored doing that, but I treat food as a necessity instead of entertainment and it doesn't bother me at all. I just think of the people in the world that can only eat rice and water everyday and figure I'm living the good life.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am more strict about measuring things that are high in calories, fat, or carbs. I estimate most veggies.
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    I put a food scale on my wedding registry. I'm excited. As of now, I measure EVERTYHING, even my coffee creamer. I dirty measuring cups and spoons everyday. :smile:
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I log everything, every morsel, and I measure everything too. I do eyeball measurements but only on specific foods, like non-starchy vegetables, those I eyeball. Everything else I measure.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    I almost always measure. I also use smaller plates so correct portions look right (not tiny).
  • momma85
    Options
    i estimate... probably not too well at it though.. unfortunately i can't get a scale or actually measure anything because then my family will give me crap about it... already get enough crap about the fact that i'm trying to track my food and i bought an elliptical...
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Because I'm new to calorie counting, I'm weighing everything except veggies. I'm trying to get used to what proper portions are, because that has always been my downfall ... too much of everything. Measuring out portions has been very educational and very helpful.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I measure and/or weigh everything with my food scale. If I'm ever in doubt, I overestimate amounts. I'm probably a good 100-200 calories above what I actually consume in my food diary.

If I eat out, sometimes I will add another 100-200 calories to my calorie total because I don't trust the nutrional info always. The FDA is supposed to regulate and make sure that places have accurate testing performed, but there just isn't the funding for them to truly do so, so I don't trust it 100%.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    mine is pretty accurate when it comes to TBSP or or cups i dont have a food scale but i do know that when it comes to meat a palm size is a serving
  • DivaStar2
    Options
    I am pretty accurate. I do both eyeball and measure.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I measure....kinda OCD-ish about it
    lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    When I didn't measure and weigh every single dadgum thing, I was way off. Now I do and am much more accurate.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty easy to measure accurately when i'm at home or know exactly the brand/quantities of what im eating..but if i eat out..its anyones guess..
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    All the foods I consume are 90% homemade...so I would still enter what brand of chicken, fish beef etcc I would use but as far as quantity and weight...I would just create my one meal with this following recipe calculator fro Spark People...all you have to do to be acurate is to determine the amount of servings u will get out of that meal. Then it will give u the nutritional value of 1 serving of that meal :-)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh or measure veggies (apart from spuds) or fruit, but everything else gets weighed out. Especially carbs.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I am meticulous with my weighing and measuring, but I've done it so long, I can eyeball portions almost perfectly. Still, I'm not comfortable relying on that.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love to measure, love it! I do need a new food scale though, mine only does ounces and it seems to never move! IE: I put a carrot on. I put 2 carrots on. Finally it moves a little. I put 5 carrots on. I put 8 carrots on, suddenly it goes from 1oz to 4oz.... No idea what this scale is doing!

(I get what I paid for, $7 wal-mart scale! haha!)

I always always log everything I eat. All I drink. If I go over, I want to see that! I want my friends to see that! I need their input and reassurance and I love their praises when I do well.