1600 cals is this right

Options
I have my goal set to lose weight at 1/2 pound per week, does anyone else have around 1600 calories a day and still lose weight, as i think this seems quite alot!

not complaining though! just wondering :)

Replies

• khern10
    Options
    I have 1960 cals and I lose weight. It depends upon your current weight and how quickly you want to lose.
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Mine is set at losing 2lb a week and my calories are 1,410 per day, and I lose the weight! :) So it should be fine, as long as it's a deficit to what you've been eating before.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    at 1600 i was losing about 2 a week
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    I am now on 1550. I was on 1620.. and yes I lost weight plus I eat some of my exercise calories. The more I eat the more I seem to lose. ie more than 1/2 pound a week.
  • use2becaligirl
    Options
    Im at 1660 calories and I have been losing weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to lose weight at 1/2 pound per week, does anyone else have around 1600 calories a day and still lose weight, as i think this seems quite alot!

not complaining though! just wondering :)

My goal loss is 1 lb per week, I eat 1500-2000 depending on exercise burns. And yep, losing weight on schedule.

It may sound like a lot, but it's all relative. Your BMR and daily activity, and your exercise burns determine the amount of cals your body needs on a daily basis. You will need more cals than someone smaller/less active than you, and less than someone larger/more active than you. The cal goal MFP gives you includes a deficit that allows for your loss goal, regardless of exercise. So just enjoy! :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My wife is around 1700 and she reached her goal weight with minimal exercise.

Really want to blow you mind. I'm set at 2350 min, and have consumed near 3000 most days this week, and I'm certainly not getting bigger.
  • ESierra1978
    Options
    Wow, you all r lucky. I'm dying here I'm at about 1,250, I go over sometimes but just work it with a good cardio workout.
  • jemmie00
    Options
    I'm on 1600 as well. I find 1600 to be really low, honestly, and have seen results from it very quickly. You have to remember that your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories just to survive and not slow down your metabolism. Once you add on the amount of calories you burn in your daily activities, 1600 makes a lot of sense. Just be sure you're eating good calories and you'll see the results in no time.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A daily calorie goal is a unqiue thing. We are all unique. That's why MFP determines it by height and weight. If I ate 1600 calories a day I would hit starvation mode after a couple of weeks.

And I think that's why I hadn't had success until I came to MFP. My Doctor just said eat 1800 calories a day. No consideration about anything else. That lasted for 2 weeks before I decided if being thin is being this miserable, "@#$*" It".

Enter MFP. Where the concept of a sustainable deficit is introduced and 2 years later I'm in the best shape of my adult life.

Don't worry about everyone else numbers. Stick to your plan and you'll happier and healthier.
  • lolw811
    lolw811 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks very much everyone
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    In order to lose 1/2 pound a week, you only need to burn about 1700 calories more/week or eat 1700 calories less a week, which would be about 250 a day, so your number seems right....