It's not just about calories...

Options
So after about 3 weeks of being at a plateau, I have realized that it is not just about the calories consumed and working your butt off in the gym. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT planning my calories around bags of chips or handfuls of chocolate, I am eating fairly clean... or am I? I am learning to listen to my body and how it reacts to certain foods. I am also realizing that I am way over my sodium and my sugar intake is not looking too hot either! I feel like I am learning so much about nutrition and fueling your body, that I wonder why I didn't learn (or maybe listen to it) earlier?!?!

So now my focus is working on my sodium and sugar intakes. I just learned that my healthy banana is on the list of highest sugars for fruit.. wow, that could explain things. It's going to take some work but it will all be worth it for a healthier lifestyle with the bonus of a leaner body!!

Have a great Friday everyone!! :flowerforyou:

PS. Suggestions, ideas and help always welcome :bigsmile:

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I understand fruit has alot of sugar,but I didnt think it was bad for you.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Good for you for not getting duped by the 30-day Twinkie diet! :bigsmile:

Many people only eat 1/2 a banana a day because of the high sugar. Or they eat 1/2 in the morning and half at night. Just don't start staying away from fruit because it contains natural sugar.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not getting duped by the 30-day Twinkie diet! :bigsmile:

Damn I was all set to start that one tommorow:wink:
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    Also remember WATER! Water is such a HUGE thing that your body needs! If you are eating perfectly and only drinking 1-2 glasses of water your weight will do nothing. Eat the healthy foods and drink 8-9 glasses of water and suddenly weight will start to come off! Your body can not help you shed fat if it's dehydrated!!!

You are also right about watching what you eat for your calories consumed...and sugar and sodium are 2 great things that people don't look at. They look at fat and calories and don't realize the carbs, sugars and sodium are just as important to look at!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Also remember WATER! Water is such a HUGE thing that your body needs! If you are eating perfectly and only drinking 1-2 glasses of water your weight will do nothing. Eat the healthy foods and drink 8-9 glasses of water and suddenly weight will start to come off! Your body can not help you shed fat if it's dehydrated!!!

You are also right about watching what you eat for your calories consumed...and sugar and sodium are 2 great things that people don't look at. They look at fat and calories and don't realize the carbs, sugars and sodium are just as important to look at!

This. I drink at least 12 cups of water on average a day. Then I piss it all away and lose weight. :noway: :laugh: :indifferent:
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Well I also stay away from bananas myself and go for better options such as berries! Loaded with fiber and soooo delicious :D

Also: yes fruit has natural sugar, but it is no better for you than added sugar. all sugar is broken down the same, into glucose for fuel for the body. BUT fruit has so many vitamins and are full of the good stuff! so dont stop eating fruit, but also realize that eating 7 servings a day is not so good for the sugar count even though it is "natural" hehe

good for you! keep up the great work :]
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Then I piss it all away and lose weight.

:laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Great advice.
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    As far as weight loss plans go, I've had my share. I finally found something that worked for ME. It may not work for you and it may not be what you're looking for. I started working out in 12/1/2010 and I was 327lbs. 1/31/11 I was 312. I started this new way of life/diet on 2/1/11 and now (as of 2/16/11) I am 292lbs.

Once again.......this worked for me. I'm loosing weight at an alarming rate and I haven't added any magic pills and I haven't passed out from starvation either. If you want more info on it........

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    So after about 3 weeks of being at a plateau, I have realized that it is not just about the calories consumed and working your butt off in the gym. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT planning my calories around bags of chips or handfuls of chocolate, I am eating fairly clean... or am I? I am learning to listen to my body and how it reacts to certain foods. I am also realizing that I am way over my sodium and my sugar intake is not looking too hot either! I feel like I am learning so much about nutrition and fueling your body, that I wonder why I didn't learn (or maybe listen to it) earlier?!?!

So now my focus is working on my sodium and sugar intakes. I just learned that my healthy banana is on the list of highest sugars for fruit.. wow, that could explain things. It's going to take some work but it will all be worth it for a healthier lifestyle with the bonus of a leaner body!!

Have a great Friday everyone!! :flowerforyou:

PS. Suggestions, ideas and help always welcome :bigsmile:

Your list about Banana's is misleading. Glycemic Index means little. It's glycemic load that matters and bananas are medium glycemic load per 120gram serving. Eat less in one sitting, lower load.

And fructose is converted slower in whole fruit due to fiber. i don't know where people get all this mis-information about sugars and fruits.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What is Primal diet????
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    What is Primal diet????

http://primalblueprint.com/

similar to Paleo

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/
  • firmbug
    firmbug Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It will be worth it. Sugar and starches can F--- you up! Good for you for taking it above and beyond and finding out what works and applying it! That's awesome! Keep us informed on your progress!