Intense Foot Pain..

Options
I developed an intense pain in the center front section of my left foot, just before my toes. It started yesterday and went from 0 to pain in an instant. I could not walk normally as the pressure caused the pain. It's not quite as bad today, but I can still feel it lingering.

I've been using my treadmill almost daily for at least 7 weeks, walking, walking on an incline and some jogging. My immediate concern is getting off track with my exercise and falling off the wagon :sad: :sad: :sad:

Any idea what this is? Do I need to lay off a bit?

Replies

• shellywoodworth
    shellywoodworth Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    you should really rest your foot, try soaking it and maybe even a massage.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No exercise that puts pressure on your foot for the next few days, ice it. If it isn't better after that, go in and have it checked. Could be a stress fracture. I walked/ran on one for months and now have a permanent soft tissue injury because of it.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    My BF hurt his back while working out. Dr told him to rest and repair. Your only hurting yourself in the long run if you dont let things heal. Id cut back until its better. You dont have to stop just cut back, maybe no incline until its better or something like that. :flowerforyou:
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    When I got a pain like that I eventually found out I had a stress fracture in my metatarsul. You may have overdone it. Let it rest and see what happens. I would ice it and take some ibuprofen too, though not in order to work out - you need to rest it.

The only thing they could do for mine was say to keep off it for at least 8 weeks. If you did stress it and you keep walking on it and running, eventually the bone will completely break and half will try to poke out the top of your foot. Speaking from experience.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You should see someone and demand x-rays. If you have high arches or are flat footed, you may not be supporting you arch well enough. I would try that. I get this pain sometimes when I do certain cadio exercises, and I have EXTREMELY high arches. In the mean time, just keep moving while you're resting your foot. Even if you're seated and do arm circles and leg lifts. :)
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, but seriously, in order to avoid puttig weight back on and losing all the benefits of the work you've done, you need to do some non-weight bearing exercises. DO NOT REST! Try cycling or swimming, things that won't put pressure on your feet for a little while. Go, have a medical professional look at it, but in the meantime, STICK WITH IT!
  • angidavis
    Options
    Freeze a water bottle and in the evening roll your feet over it and also cold pack the top of your foot. Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes with fluids. Throughout the day pick up towel or other objects with your toes. If it doesnt improve in a couple weeks of doing all this everyday, then go see your podiatrist.
  • tauns
    tauns Posts: 29
    Options
    Does bicycling hurt your foot? I suggest taking a break from exercises that affect the foot but take the time to make it that you find OTHER exercises so you don't fall off the wagon. Do a google search...maybe you will have to do a lot of sitting weight band reps or something. Hope it heals fast!!
  • svackar
    Options
    As others have mentioned - it's best to rest it and see a DR to help determine the problem. The pain you're feeling might be from a Fracture or Neuroma...both can be caused by over doing it and inproper fitting shoes. Good luck with your recovery!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It sounds like plantar fasciitis to me. But I'm not a dr. Does it hurt more after you've sat for a bit then get up to walk? Try icing it, and rolling a can of soup under the middle of your foot as you sit. Also, make sure you stretch your foot by flexing as far as you can then pointing it. Then make circles.

I found using Vibrams have helped my foot, knee and shin pain.

These are things that have worked for me.
  • willeefin
    Options
    It could possibly be that your shoes are not right for the type of exercise/routine you are doing. There are so many different shoes out there which provide support in different areas. You may possibly just need an insert/lift in your shoe. Available at Sporting and shoe stores. If you're up to it, you might want to try acupuncture for the pain. It's amazing and so much healthier than Ibuprophen You might also consider a good reflexology treatment or a foot massage. Good Luck!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just went to Sports Medicine Dr. - Dx with plantar firomatosis, heal spur... Had cortizone shot in my foot, told to soak it 20 min a day, stretch it on a tennis ball / can, and bought some shoe orthotics. I also purchased new shoes for working out. This made 100% difference and I'm back to 90% with small amount of pain. The new shoes are a must - and soaking it really helps. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!.

Will take time off as recommended, and definitely use ice, and maybe get some new shoes. I don't want to do any permanent damage, so I will definitely follow all suggestions. If nothing changes in a few days I'll go see a Foot man (or woman)

It makes for perfect opportunity to drag the weight bench in from the garage and focus on that a bit.
  • outersoul
    Options
    If it persists definitely get it checked out. A foot injury can nag you for months. I broke my 5th metarsal last year and it took forever to heal.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    If it persists definitely get it checked out. A foot injury can nag you for months. I broke my 5th metarsal last year and it took forever to heal.

Tell me about it. That was the beginning of my being in a wheelchair for 2 years, and then having to walk around in a shoe for almost another. You really don't want that.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same thing happen last summer. I decided it was from the pounding on the treadmill. I stayed off of it for a week and didn't use the treadmill for about 3 weeks. My advice stay off the treadmill for a while!! Try doing something else that has 0 impact and doesn't require much weight on the foot. If it doesn't get better then go see your Doc.