Pre-Diabetes -- In Need of Pointers!

Options
I found out last year that I have pre-diabetes, but during a check up today I was told that my levels are worse than before. I thought I've been eating good, I guess I haven't been as careful as I thought. I don't know what else to do.

I have already cut out almost all processed sugars. I used to love sweets, but I've gotten myself to a point where I'm not really into desserts or candy anymore. I still have the occassional treat but, I know you also can't COMPLETELY deny yourself of the foods you like. And I already know that eating small meals throughout the day helps, as well as excercising more, and even certain foods (which thankfully are some of my favorites and foods I often crave) such as eggplant, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, green beans, cucumber, celery, low-fat yogurt, as well as others, can help lower blood sugar, as well as GOOD carbs as opposed to bad carbs (but still ofcourse in moderation -- i try to avoid wheat products and stick to grain products but a lot of grain products still have whole wheat in them I've realized).

But I'm not entirely sure what else to do or what other foods to cut out, what I should be avoiding, and these doctors are never helpful. When I ask, they just say "no sugar." I know this already, I would assume that's obvious. I am terrified of developing diabetes, since 3 out of 4 of my grandparents died from it. The doctor says that if I can get this under control and lose weight while I'm young, (and watch for the rest of my life ofcourse) that I may never develop diabetes. Does anyone diabetic, pre-diabetic, or simply knowledgable at all on the subject have any tips or pointers for me as to how to keep my blood sugar low?

(FYI incase it's relevant; I am also on metformin which is basically for blood sugar control)

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Reduce glycemic load in a big way by reducing your intake of carbohydrate drastically. Also exercise a lot. And perhaps include regular fasting. However, all this needs to be sustainable over the course of your life. I found that I was prepared to make a lot of changes because of health reasons.
  • prencesskl
    Options
    the metformin will help you lose weight, but try controlling your carbs, that's what my father had to do, he has diabetes
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bread!!! Buy GG Scandinavian Bran Crisps and eat those in place of bread. When I say bread, I mean ALL bread.

My father is diabetic, so I've been learning from him. Bread, potatoes (even sweet potatoes), carrots, balsamic vinegar. When it comes to veggies, think fiber and choose broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. Eat clementines. Cut out mango and pineapple.

When you are prediabetic/diabetic you have to choose lower sugar foods, even if its the natural kind.

Edit: Do not listen to the guy that said you should fast. That is the worst thing for anyone with blood sugar problems. It will make your blood sugar too low, what you need is to balance your blood sugar. No lows and no highs. Snacks should be an ounce of nuts or bran crisps with a little 100% pure peanut butter (no sugar or salt added), or a reduced fat cheese stick.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed just about 2 years ago and with lots of research his blood sugar is ALWAYS in the healthy range now, about 5.4.

No refined sugar of course!
    No cream sauces (ie. alfredo)
    No gatorade
    No "white" carbs (only complex "grainy" carbs)

I researched food lists that showed their level on the glycemix index (or GI as some call it) For an entire year we only ate foods that were as low on the GI as possible. Lots of veggies (like carrots) are much higher than others on the GI so we avoided all of them until my husband was out of the danger zone.

You can do some "google" reasearch on GI levels in foods, then build your food plan from there.

My husband has been completely off his meds for amost a year now and with lots of exercise added in is less than 20 pounds from his goal weight. Your weight plays a big part in this as well so keep working hard to ensure you stay in a healthy zone.
  • melissatacker
    melissatacker Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Buy a meter and check your Blood Glucose levels couple times a day to make sure you're in a good range...not only will you probably keep diabetes away but it will help you lose weight :)
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My husband is diabetic. obviously, keeping your weight down and exercising good. Also, buy EVERYTHING in 100% wheat. pastas, bread, tortillas, buns, everything. Cut out all 'white' breads, including potatoes. Eat only fresh fruit and keep it at a minium, as it is high in natural sugar. Using cinnimon is also good to lower blood sugar. My husband adds a dash into his coffee in the mornings and also in his smoothies. Add it to anything you can. I beleive it's only 1 tsp a day they reccomend so it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    How much fruit do you eat? If you are pre-diabetic you may need to watch how much fruit you eat as well
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Go here, and read, read, read about insulin sensitivity/resistance
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bread!!! Buy GG Scandinavian Bran Crisps and eat those in place of bread. When I say bread, I mean ALL bread.

My father is diabetic, so I've been learning from him. Bread, potatoes (even sweet potatoes), carrots, balsamic vinegar. When it comes to veggies, think fiber and choose broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus. Eat clementines. Cut out mango and pineapple.

When you are prediabetic/diabetic you have to choose lower sugar foods, even if its the natural kind.

Edit: Do not listen to the guy that said you should fast. That is the worst thing for anyone with blood sugar problems. It will make your blood sugar too low, what you need is to balance your blood sugar. No lows and no highs. Snacks should be an ounce of nuts or bran crisps with a little 100% pure peanut butter (no sugar or salt added), or a reduced fat cheese stick.

This is GREAT advice, and exactly what I have to do. In fact, I even need a little protein with fruit (like peanut butter on apple slices, or an orange with a small yogurt). If I have fruit without the protein, I end up feeling tired. If I do have the protein (which I've learned to do and continue to do) then the fruit fills me up and I feel full longer, which results in fewer calories consumed over-all.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's not just about sugars or processed foods with refined sugar jammed in them. It's carbohydrates and maintaining the intake of them. In order to lower glucose levels, a variety of whole wheat and sources of fiber will actually maintain glucose levels and keep them from rapidly spiking and dropping. A typical slice of bread is equivalent to 1 serving of carbs = 15g carbs, in the diabetic exchange. Diabetics and those looking to control their blood sugar need to have no more than 3 - 4 servings of carbohydrate intake (45 - 60g carbs) per meal: breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and no more than 1 - 2 servings (15 - 30g) of carbs per snack between meals.

I'm diabetic and I know the carb content of all my food. Juice and milk are already packed with carbs for 1/2 cup, which is generally 1 serving of carbs. So, read the nutrition labels diligently no matter what you eat and/or buy. And remember that the healthier alternatives to foods are the healthier carb choices as they will maintain levels due to their complex carbohydrate content.
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Reduce glycemic load in a big way by reducing your intake of carbohydrate drastically. Also exercise a lot. And perhaps include regular fasting. However, all this needs to be sustainable over the course of your life. I found that I was prepared to make a lot of changes because of health reasons.

FASTING??? Are you crazy??? I don't mean to be rude but I have problems with my blood sugar (I'm possibly pre-diabetic) And if I was to even skip a meal I would pass out! Do'nt listen to him!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody! I got some really great pointers here. I'm definitely going to take everything into consideration.

As for carbs, I try to stick to whole grain but I was looking through my food diary and realized I eat more carbs than I thought I did, and I'm definitely going to look into those scandenavian bran crisps!

As for fasting, I learnt from my grandmother when she was alive that you cannot do that. If she went more than 3 or 4 hours without eating she would get severe dizzy spells, much like I do. Which is why I'm trying to make myself eat small meals/snacks throughout the day. =)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree with your view on fasting. After all, what is it that makes your blood sugar drop? Insulin secretion because we eat carbohydrates. It used to be the case that people who had diabetes type 1 (even) were put on a very low carbohydrate diet to help contain glucose levels. That's now a thing of the past, and diabetics are taught to eat high levels of carbohydrates, then control their fluctuation in blood glucose by means of medication.

However: if you fast, you eat nothing (only drink water), so there are no glucose spikes, no insulin response and hence no sudden drop in blood sugar. What fasting does accomplish is increasing your cells' sensitivity to insulin, and this, in someone with pre-diabetes I would consider to be a good thing.

What you are advising are "snacks" that are high in carbohydrates. What is the wisdom of that? It doesn't regulate blood glucose that well, increases glycemic load and impairs insulin resistance.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/1/7.full

If:

1. There is NO history of diabetic ketoacidosis.
    2. There are NO current infections.
    3. You are NOT pregnant.
    4. The current state of diabetes is well-controlled.
    5. There is NO uncontrolled high blood pressure or angina.

Remember, you're traveling towards Diabetes type 2, of which reduced insulin resistance is the precursor. If you want to undertake fasting, consult your doctor, but cutting down drastically on carbohydrates is the primary thing, I think.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with your view on fasting. After all, what is it that makes your blood sugar drop? Insulin secretion because we eat carbohydrates. It used to be the case that people who had diabetes type 1 (even) were put on a very low carbohydrate diet to help contain glucose levels. That's now a thing of the past, and diabetics are taught to eat high levels of carbohydrates, then control their fluctuation in blood glucose by means of medication.

However: if you fast, you eat nothing (only drink water), so there are no glucose spikes, no insulin response and hence no sudden drop in blood sugar. What fasting does accomplish is increasing your cells' sensitivity to insulin, and this, in someone with pre-diabetes I would consider to be a good thing.

What you are advising are "snacks" that are high in carbohydrates. What is the wisdom of that? It doesn't regulate blood glucose that well, increases glycemic load and impairs insulin resistance.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/1/7.full

If:

1. There is NO history of diabetic ketoacidosis.
    2. There are NO current infections.
    3. You are NOT pregnant.
    4. The current state of diabetes is well-controlled.
    5. There is NO uncontrolled high blood pressure or angina.

Remember, you're traveling towards Diabetes type 2, of which reduced insulin resistance is the precursor. If you want to undertake fasting, consult your doctor, but cutting down drastically on carbohydrates is the primary thing, I think.

i agree with you. i am insulin resistant because of pcos and i fasted once a week during lent last year for religious purposes. the days that i fasted, my blood sugar was consistent and level, with no spikes or drops. it was amazing. i now fast on a semi-regular basis and my doctor and i have seen a huge improvement in my insulin levels.

i also want to suggest eating under 100 grams of carbs a day. they can be any kind of carb you want (white bread, white potatoes, carrots, balsamic vinegar, mango and pineapple included), but make sure they are eaten with a protein, such as string cheese, eggs, milk, tuna fish, etc.

i bought a cheap-o walmart glucose reader and love to check my numbers.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    If you made your diary public, I bet people could give you more suggestions.

I would say to add a Green Smoothie first thing in the morning to help get some good greens in your day.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Lodro,

Umm, no, I was not advising snacks that are high in carbs. Obviously, you weren't really paying attention to what I wrote!

And most diabetic patients are told by their doctors that they are NOT ALLOWED to fast. I don't know anything about PCOS, so can't comment on that.

Onutz14,

I think the best thing before fasting, is speaking to your actual doctor because you don't know what affect it will have. Also, you should maybe try to call your doctor's office and ask him more detailed questions about proper diet for your condition.

Good luck!
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    My doctors instructed me to eat more frequently, that it would help lower my blood sugar, and I have to say, I haven't really been craving sugar like I used to since I've started. I have more energy and I feel better. What kind of fast are you talking about though? An entire 24 hours once a week? I don't know if this counts, but I make sure not to eat for atleast 12 hours every single day; I stop eating after 8pm and don't eat again until 8-10 am the next morning. Anyway, I'll be sure to bring this up with my doctor and see what they think when I see them next, I have an appointment coming up soon. =)
  • dalenkim98
    Options
    All the information given has been great so far (even the information on fasting). Coming from the dietitian stand-point, I would recommend keeping your carbohydrate (CHO) intake to no more than 30-45 grams CHO per meal using the whole grain products, sugar-free beverages, and more fruits/vegetables you already use. The thing with fruits to remember is they are high in fructose which turns to sugar much faster than starches do in vegetables leading to higher insulin secretion responses. I typically recommend no juice for my patients, only eat fresh/canned fruit (without added sugar and in their own juice), and no more than 2 servings per day. On carbohydrate counting, here is the breakdown:

1 serving milk = 12 grams CHO (i.e. 8 oz low fat milk, 6 oz yogurt, 4 oz ice cream)
    1 serving starchy foods = 15 grams CHO (i.e. 1/2 cup potatoes, corn, green peas, dried beans; 1/3 cup rice or pasta; 1 slice of bread or 1/2 bun)
    1 serving fruit = 15 grams CHO (1 small piece of fruit say size of nectarine, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup fruit)
    1 serving nonstarchy vegetables = 5 grams CHO (i.e. 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, greens, cauliflower, carrots, etc)
    1 serving sugary beverages = 15 grams CHO (i.e. 4 oz juice, soda, sweet tea, gatorade or other sports drink)

Also, protein (i.e. meats, nuts, beans, cheese) and fiber help to slow insulin secretion/response due to slowing the absorption of the CHOs. Might want to keep that in mind when you eat. Good luck.
  • Hailz1986
    Hailz1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My uncle has diabetes, and he has been told to avoid fruit and bread and pasta, althought I think all these things have been mentioned. Also milk and dairy products are not great when it comes to sugar levels, so try to avoid these too hunnie. x
  • SweatinSammie
    Options
    I think the basics are obvious but something you should try to eat/drink every day is black coffee and pure cinnamon :)