Help with boxing routine :) New heavy weight bag

Options
My husband at my request bought me a boxing set for Valentines day.. I get it today and would like to know if it best to just box it or do you have a routine you use.. Do you follow a dvd? Or use a game with it? Is 30 minutes going to be to much to start with? Are my expectations to high?

My trainer used to have us box but only for a couple of minutes at the end of our workout. but what a cardio workout it was..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump

love the bag
    thinking of getting one
    would love to know about routines
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a heavy bag at home too. I don't follow a DVD or game. I just incorporate it into my circuits. If you are not doing circuits and just want to punch the bag make sure you warm up well with some shadow boxing and then on the bag try 1-2 minute rounds to start and 30 sec to 1 minute rests in between rounds....and work your way up from there. Boxing is the best!
  • alx201
    Options
    congrats on the purchase of the heavy bag.. im sure you will enjoy the work out very much , i did some ameture boxing in my days, and i would like to refer you to a instruction DVD that you might find very helpful.. its a nice set that will show you more that you need..
    check out the link i have provided
    http://store.titleboxing.com/freddie-roach-dvds.html

good luck
  • alx201
    Options
    BTW i still train , i setup my garage with a speed bag and small heavy bag for drills. looking to add a double end bag soon .. just some ideas..
  • necki696
    Options
    I go to a class thats an hour and we do rounds 1-2 min each sometimes go up to ten at the end
  • necki696
    Options
    try different combinations jab-cross, hooks, uppercut, knees, kicks high and low, do full situps when you get to the top jab cross
  • dalbers
    Options
    Rossboxing.com

Welcome to the fight ;)

When I get home and not typing on my phone I will send you some drills.

Cheers
  • dalbers
    Options
    OK first let me say this.

Most new boxers hurt their wrists, and sometimes badly on the heavy bag because of the following:

They do not wrap their wrists, so get some boxing wraps and go to youtube and find a few methods to use them. They will save you.

Second because they try to punch right through the bag and end up rolling their wrist.

When you strick a punching bag, your arm should be fully relaxed right up until the split second moment of contact, then your entire arm solidifies into a solid punch and relaxes again. This should produce a good clean POP sound. You should not be throwing haymakers on the heavy bag, you should be thinking like a boxer. Landing punches for points, every punch cannot be an attempted knock out.

If you are hitting the bag right your first should come right back after the moment of impact. You should not add a "push" and try to punch through the bag. So many macho men do this, thinking they look tough because they get that bag swinging. Its a recipe for a broken wrist. And its just bad form.

Watch some other youtube videos. Learn to jab, cross, hook and uppercut. Those are your building blocks.

Working the bag, for new boxers, is best done in pyramids as follows.

Working in 2 or 3 minute rounds....

Approach the bag, jab once, back away immediately as if avoiding a retailiting fist.

Approach again, jab then cross, then back away again as above

Approach again, jab, then cross, then hook, then back away

Start again, approach, jab, back away

Approach, jab, then cross, then back away

Approach jab, cross, hook, then back away....

Thus you learn the combo. Repeat over and over.

As skill develops, and you movements clean up, your power will develop. Power comes from skill and practice punching in boxing, NOT STRENGTH. POWER comes from PRACTICE. Let me stress that!

As you develop skill, and therefor power, you will start to find the heavy bag workout about as demanding as any other workout there is. There is literally no limit to how hard you can go. But first you must learn the SKILL, and worry about power LATER.

Some other combos you can pyramid

Jab, jab, cross
    Jab, cross, uppercut
    Jab, right hook, left hook

From Muay Thai, this is the bread and butter combo as every day even seasoned champs work this combo.

Jab, cross, right round kick

Others

Jab, cross, knee
    Jab, cross, elbow
    Jab, cross, uppercut, right round kick (4 move pyramid)

There is literally an infinite amount of combos. When you start adding elbows, knees, kicks, you find that it is a whole body workout.

Another advantage to heavy bag training, is as skill and therefor power develops, you get STRONGER doing it. You literally start to build fast twitch muscle. Especially in your shoulders, and quads (not so much for ladies, they just end up with HOT awesome legs).

I hope this helps get you started, and please remember, technique first, and power will develop on its own. Once it does, no other cardio will match it.
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone...

Just got home with it putting the stand together as we speak and then ding ding... lol..

A special thanks to dalbers you have provided some very good information for me to use.. Thank you it is much appriciated..

Laurie
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great workout!!