Need Advice Please!!

loseit4good52
loseit4good52 Posts: 127
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so here's my dilemma....tomorrow after Church I am going to a Chinese Buffet..how in the world am I going to calculate the calories for that? I know that will be the ONLY meal I will eat all day so I can use my calories for that, but just am confused as to how to track it. I know to avoid foods with sauces, fried foods, etc. And of course I won't have dessert. I really don't want to mess up because Monday I weigh in and I don't want to see a gain! Help!

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    think of it as a test of yoru portion estimation abilities! One thing I do is to put EVERYTHING into the soup cups--which are generally 8 oz. easier to estimate that way
  • think of it as a test of yoru portion estimation abilities! One thing I do is to put EVERYTHING into the soup cups--which are generally 8 oz. easier to estimate that way

What a GREAT idea!
  • think of it as a test of yoru portion estimation abilities! One thing I do is to put EVERYTHING into the soup cups--which are generally 8 oz. easier to estimate that way

I will do that, thank you! ! !:smile:
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Good idea.
    But you said soup cups & I pictured the tea cups - blonde moment.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Oh also- just so you are mentally prepared- sometimes for me, going out spells a temporary gain, no matter how well I do portionally. So if you go up (for me its usually 3lbs and stays for about 3-4 days), just know theres no way you ate enough to actually gain that- its just water your body is hanging on to from the sodium and food your body hasn't finished processing.

Good luck!
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    I know that will be the ONLY meal I will eat all day

WHAT?!?!?!? I hope you don't really mean that the buffet will be your only meal. That's really not healthy. I hope your planning for at least a small breakfast and supper.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    You can compare it to foods already listed in the data base such as Panda Express which is measured by 1/2 cup. A whole bowl of chinese food will be a good amount of calories, fat and carbs depending on your choices. Remember fried rice much higher than steamed rice, noodles even higher and all foods with sauces have more calories and more fat.

Try looking up a place such as Panda Express and looking at the Nutritional info for an idea of which choices would be better for you.

Good Luck!
  • I would suggest avoiding any of the fried rice and saucy chicken in the fatty batter. Try to stick with your seafood,veggies, and fruit/salad bar. Buffets are always tricky. Work out work out work out. The sodium that these places put in the food may make you swell a bit on monday if you are not very careful. One dinner out is not the end of the world just try your best and make your self proud of what you have learned. :) Good luck!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Pack a lunch
  • That's so funny. I'm in the same exact boat...Chinese buffet on Sunday. I'm not sure what I'm going to eat but I'm mentally prepared for what I'm not going to eat.
  • Just guessing but I would say start with some wonton soup, tossed salad, fresh fruit and tea. Then just small portion of something you really like. Good luck. You can do it. And lots and lots and lots of water during the day.
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 181 Member
    As stated by catmandoodle,"I would say start with some wonton soup, tossed salad, fresh fruit and tea.... And lots and lots and lots of water during the day."

Once I ate those things, I would call it a day and leave the buffet while I was still on track. But that is just me.
  • Thank you ALL for some terrific advice . I do know I will not overeat like I have in the past. :)
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    If its the only meal you eat all day you will gain weight. You will have to eat other meals during the day to keep your metabolism up. I would say don't go. Its ok to cheat but buffets are probably the worst thing you can do. Just my opinion. The sodium will cause you to gain weight immediately because of the massive amounts of sodium in Chinese food. If you plan to do this once and only once for a long time then ok, but this should not be a weekly occurrence.
  • For starters, that should not be you're only meal for the day for 2 reasons
    1) you'll be starving by the time you get to the restaurant, which will lead to overeating
    2)The fewer meals you eat, the slower your metabolism is.

As for wise choices in food, look for veggies and lean protein. They will probably have sauteed vegetables, some kind of chicken/beef/shrimp. Just try to stay away from sugar and starches.

Also, portion yourself. Use a smaller plate(appetizer plate) for your meal. And focus on your hunger, eat slowly and when you feel satisfied, NOT FULL, stop eating and get the food out of your sight, or else you continue to nibble.

And last but not least, drink lots of water!

Goodluck:D
  • I have the solution for you. DONT GO TO THE FREAKING BUFFET!!!! Trust me, I stopped going to buffets because I just cant stop! Save yourself. Just say NO!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Chinese food is full of sodium. You probably need to watch your portions and drink water or tea with lemon juice the whole day.
  • if it was just me going I would not go, but my sweet daughter wants to take me there so bad...it just opened up and I would hate to tell her no. But I will take it easy and take your advice about not making that my only meal.
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    I am avoiding buffets as well, but life is not perfect!
    One more thing I would avoid is the rolls, crab racoon and the breaded/fried stuff. So basically is salad, soup, steamed rice, veggies and meat without or with very little sauces.
    Have fun and enjoy your food!
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Pack a lunch

I agree... Or eat before hand so you're not tempted!
This discussion has been closed.