cutting out sweets

Options
I didn't used to have an issue with sweets. Every once in a while I would have chocolate, but I am out of control. It started about a month ago. I had surgery on December 27th and couldn't really work out for 6 weeks...except for physical therapy. For some reason, the last two of those six weeks, I started eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I thought it was just out of boredom. (I was stuck at my parents house for those 6 weeks since I live on the third floor ) Now I have been back at work and the gym for the past two weeks and I can't get rid of the sweet tooth. Anything sweet seems to call my name, I can't seem to break the cycle. I guess I just need some will power to get it out of my system, but I can't find it. Any ideas?

Replies

• catmandoodle
    Options
    I have to do it "cold turkey". It takes a few days but then I'm okay. Good luck. I know how hard it is.
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my down fall too, try this recipe, 1 tub of thawed fat free cool whip, mix in well 2 Tblsp of peanut butter, scoop mixture into a cupcake pan (line each cupcake mold with tin foil) swirl a bit of chocolate syrup on top and freeze for 6 hours or so. Enjoy this 70 calorie frozen treat, it seems to satisfy my pb and choc cravings.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    uh. Will power is all you, sorry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/79671-sugar-is-not-your-friend-part-2 This is a thread I started last year. It helped me lose 16 lbs. I'm all or nothing when it comes to sugar.
    Good luck.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    if you can't go cold turkey try some sugar free gum or even sucking hard boiled sweets you will satisfy your sweet tooth with out devouring a whole bag of haribo x
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'll throw out a couple things, one that has helped me in the past and what I'm doing now.

Last time I was on here I would have a little hard candy everyday, usually 2 or 4 werthers or Jolly Ranchers to help my sweet tooth.

This time around I started allowing myself one hershey bar a day. I would break it into the 12 pieces, and then bite each one in half and let it melt on my tongue, so I could stretch out a single bar a couple hours or so. Today I cut my allowance down to half a bar. Next will be a quarter bar a day, and then none. You might want to try one of those methods.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I allow myself 1 cup of fat free chocolate milk after my workouts. I drink it slow to allow myself the joy of chocolate!
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    i have always loved sweets!
    I am reading a book and eating and how to break bad habits. Basically the only thing you can do it tell yourself no. The longer and more times you cave in the more your brain thinks of the food as a reward and the more you will want it. So just think about the long term and how a day from now you will feel better about not eating that sweets.
    Also turning to something natually sweet like fruit will stop the sweet tooth and fill you up.

GOOD LUCK! :)
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. It is driving me nuts because it never used to be a problem. I think I am going to have to find the will power and go cold turkey. Tomorrow is a new day...
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love sweets. I've found that I like to keep a bag of like mini reeses, or rolos, or milky way, etc in the house. I'll have 1-3 pieces a day. Each piece is 35-50 calories each and it's just enough to tame my sweet tooth!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to do that, now I am afraid I would eat the entire bag. The only good thing is, I preferr dark chocolate over milk chocolate. At least that is a little bit healthier for me :)
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love sweets. I've found that I like to keep a bag of like mini reeses, or rolos, or milky way, etc in the house. I'll have 1-3 pieces a day. Each piece is 35-50 calories each and it's just enough to tame my sweet tooth!

you have a lot more will power than me!!! i would tell myself i would.. but keep going back for me.. and by the end of the day that whole bag in GONE :/
  • audcake
    audcake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my biggest problem too. Everyone seems to have similar ideas.. cold turkey is best. After about a week or two, your cravings will be gone. Once in a while I'll still have a craving, so I'll have a diet soda, some sugarfree gum, or a sugarfree pudding cup. Don't do it too often though or your cravings will come back!
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sweets used to be a massive problem for me. If I ate a small amount I would carry on and eat loads. If I didn't have any at all I would feel like I was depriving myself and crave them even more. I found that if I could stay sweetie free for at least 3 days it was easier. You have to let yourself have some though or one day you will really want some and you will eat a lot because you know you won't be able to have any more for a while. Only keep snack size bars in your house.

Personally being busy and keeping my hands busy is a big one for me. I can't watch TV at all because I associate it with eating and I always feel hungry when I'm watching. If I keep myself occupied like going out to see friends or knitting with an audiobook or studying French (one of my hobbies) I forget that I'm hungry. Also if you put yourself in a social situation where it's not socially acceptable to sit and pick at sweets that helps too.

I found after being busy for a few weeks I completely forgot about my sweet tooth and I didn't even crave it any more.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Try starting your day with a bowl of oatmeal. I found that when I have a slow absorbing carb at the beginning of the day I get fewer sweet cravings. When I have a bowl of Fiber One or Bran Buds they don't do as well, I get hungry and want sugar earlier in the day. I also save calories for a sweetish snack before bed. Usually it is a yogurt with berries or a Skinny Cow ice cream bar. Gives me something to look forward to!:wink:

Good Luck!
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I allow myself one or two pieces of chocolate per day, one of which is always really really dark chocolate. This usually adds up to around 50 calories a day, and helps me stay on track. I do end up eating closer to 100 cals per day of chocolate when my husband gets me treats ... but in order to keep my nutrition level good, during the week I work harder at it. If I have extra calories from working out, I sometimes have another little something at night. I understand the temptation, though - for me, I like individually wrapped candies, and I keep them out of sight. Then I pull one out for the day, and only unwrap & eat that one. If I have a bigger bar of candy, or an open bag, I tend to nibble a lot more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Some people "allow" themselves one or two small bits of chocolate daily.

Some people just cannot have sweets. This debate can go on forever. I tried the "I'll just have one" thing but I'm like kattix13, I cannot stop. This is one of those debates that people line up on both sides. I think you have to try both ways to see which works for you.

I'm of the belief that abstinance is the only thing that works after trying both ways.
  • sconns21
    sconns21 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try starting your day with a bowl of oatmeal. I found that when I have a slow absorbing carb at the beginning of the day I get fewer sweet cravings. When I have a bowl of Fiber One or Bran Buds they don't do as well, I get hungry and want sugar earlier in the day.

It's probably because bran has quite a lot of sugar in it.