Eating Chapstick?

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
Hey MFP's!! I have a (non-) serious issue with chapstick! I am OBSESSED with it! I am constantly applying it several times a day, and I feel like I can't get through ONE DAY without it!!

I used one once to see how long it would take me to go through it (cause I used many flavours at once), and it was gone in 3 months!! I EAT ONE CHAPSTICK EVERY THREE MONTHS!!! :noway:

Does anyone have any suggestions, alternatives, or "cures" for my addiction to chapstick? It CAN'T be healthy! My lips just feel so dry without using chapstick, even when they aren't.

(PS - More water doesn't really help me. It did once, I think, but it didn't last long, and I was back to chapstick again.)

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    How much water did you try when you tried to increase it? Did you try for more than one day?

My guess is water water water water. That is the main thing that keeps our bodies hydrated, and hydration helps reduce dry skin (including lips!)
  • pocketsam
    Options
    OMG lol somebody else out there!!

I have a chap stick (I call it lip balm) in every room in my house, every bag I own and pretty much every coat/jacket pocket PLUS a little 'gift bag' of spares in my wardrobe. It started when I was about 12/13 after I had impetigo (rash around upper lip and really horrible chapped lips) I vowed never to let me lips get dry again so then I wouldnt lick them!

I probably apply it ever 2 hours now (before I was slightly insane), but always before I go outside and last thing at night/first thing in morning. I am now 27 and still buy lip balm every couple of months, hence the gift bag full of them. I have never found a 'cure' or an alternative.

Maybe try slightly more natural brands like vasaline & coco butter? Coco butter one is richer and stays on longer. Other than that I have no other advice hahhaha but you are not alone!! xxx
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I think I saw somewhere that once you are in a habit like that, it is like an addiction, but one your body (lips) makes you think you need. However, I believe the conclusion of the article said it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Basically, if you can push through and wean yourself, you'll find you don't need it as much, but you'll be fine if you don't want to do that.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Check this out: http://www.kevdo.com/lipbalm/chapstick.html
    See column on left - applies to Chapstick, Carmex, LipSmackers, etc.

Edited to add: Just to clarify - not making fun of you at all, but this site, while not 100% scientific or serious, does acknowledge lip balm addiction.

In terms on non-addictive lip balms, one could try staying away from petroleum products and see how you do w/ ones w/ cocoa butter, beeswax, shea butter...
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'd do Vasaline. You won't like the flavor, and it may curb frequent use.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It has alcohol in it...it actually dries out your lips rather than hydrates them. Switch to something that is natural and you'll notice a difference. I use Badger Balm and it's great and has no alcohols in it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use MAC Lip Conditioner a few times a day. I live in Albuquerque (high desert) so I absolutely have to. I also have to use lotion every day I my kids need it too, even though we're all properly hydrated. No amount of water is going to keep the air from drying out my skin. One container of Lip Conditioner lasts about 3 months here, it used to last a little longer when I lived on the West Coast.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with going through 1 tube of Chapstick in three months. That's only 4 a year. That sounds normal to me.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    you know honestly, if you just stop using it your body will adjust. i was without my beloved chapstick for a couple months when i backpacked asia over the summer and my lips totally adjusted and i didn't even need it. the humidity definitely helped, but even when it wasn't humid i didn't need it, and when i returned home again i went a couple weeks without using it and i was fine.... but then i got into the habit again and now i'm addicted again! bah. those little waxy sticks are pure evil!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

I have a chap stick (I call it lip balm) in every room in my house, every bag I own and pretty much every coat/jacket pocket PLUS a little 'gift bag' of spares in my wardrobe. It started when I was about 12/13 after I had impetigo (rash around upper lip and really horrible chapped lips) I vowed never to let me lips get dry again so then I wouldnt lick them!

I probably apply it ever 2 hours now (before I was slightly insane), but always before I go outside and last thing at night/first thing in morning. I am now 27 and still buy lip balm every couple of months, hence the gift bag full of them. I have never found a 'cure' or an alternative.

Maybe try slightly more natural brands like vasaline & coco butter? Coco butter one is richer and stays on longer. Other than that I have no other advice hahhaha but you are not alone!! xxx

This is me! Well apart from the age, I'm 47, and it was eczema. I use a Body Shop Vitamin E lip balm, and a gloss called SexyMotherPucker!
  • Steph_135
    Options
    How much water did you try when you tried to increase it? Did you try for more than one day?
    I can't remember. It was YEARS ago in high school. I didn't keep track of my water intake back then.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :smile: Buyin' different kinds of Chapsticks is my obsession...I love Softlips, Nivea, Blistex - whatever kind is 'new' at the store. My other obsession is buyin' pens...more the merrier, especially if the outside is Purple...

I never really thought how much I go through a stick...I know my Husband groans at each time I bring a new one home :blushing:
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    :smile: Buyin' different kinds of Chapsticks is my obsession...I love Softlips, Nivea, Blistex - whatever kind is 'new' at the store. My other obsession is buyin' pens...more the merrier, especially if the outside is Purple...

I never really thought how much I go through a stick...I know my Husband groans at each time I bring a new one home :blushing:
  • Steph_135
    Options

Thanks for identifying! I know a natural brand would be a lot more healthy! I definitely apply every 2 hours and in the morning and at night! I have them in all areas of my house, bags, and pockets. I also got 24 chapsticks for Christmas '09 (I asked for them). :sick:
  • Melisha82
    Options
    I like chapstick, but I'm addicted to lip gloss lol
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    I <3 chapstick... *sigh*:blushing:
  • Jain
    Options
    My Mother in Law always puts a lip balm in my christmas stocking!:laugh:
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i totally relate. my mom was alwasy teasing me cause i would have upwards of 5-8 things fo chapstick/lipstuff in my purses at one time. and a year ago, i got invisalign braces (plastic tray braces) and found that they made my lips even drier. no amount of water i drink does anything. so, i stopped buying flavoured ones, and started buying all natural ones, you know, made with beeswax and oils instead of petroleum and other mineral based oils. i found 3 that work for me, they keep my lips moist longer than all those flavoured ones, they still smell nice, and since they work longer, i don't go through them as fast.
    the three i have been using are
    1-Chapstick All Natural
    2-Blistex Natural Cooling Comfort (this has menthol in it)
    3-Rocky Mountain Soap Company Green Apple Lip Butter

if you stay away from ones with peppermint/menthol as they can also make your lips drier, not to mention irritate dry lips (i know, the blistex one i listed has menthol, but i don't use it as often, and the other ingredients in it seem to countereffect the negatives of mintiness) and stick with ones with natural ingredients like shea butter, almond oil, cocoa butter, etc...you should find a difference. plus, those natural ingredients aren't nearly as bad for you as the stuff in those other chapsticks. you could also just try oil...really, like olive oil, or almond oil. it doesn't last as long of course, and for me, i also need that feeling of waxy smoothness chapstick gives me compared to oil, but it is very moisturizing and non-harmful. though idk how you would have to count calories for that :P
  • Jain
    Options
    Burts Bees do a yummy honey flavourd balm thats all natural. But it's a bit too yummy.:wink:
  • Ceria
    Ceria Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Rest assure it may not be that you are losing it. If you have drastically changed your diet to a low fat one your lips may really be dehydrated. I had the same problem when I first changed my diet. I was not eating chapstick but I was eating every other lip balm and lubricant available and it did not take me 3 months to get through them either. My hands and feet suffered as well. Finally I asked my dermitologist about it because it was driving me CRAZY! She told me that it was the lack of oils in my diet making my lips, feet and hands so dry. I added salmon and small amounts of olive oil to my diet (putting the olive oil on my lips so did not work and it tastes yucky!). Voila! I am now lip balm free! Maybe this will work for you as well. :ohwell:
  • Steph_135
    Options
    girlruns... Thanks! I did a search about chapstick addiction and saw others suggesting weaning off of chapstick. Cutting out one application of it a week, and stuff like that.

loopytoucan... Thank you for the link, Lip Smackers is my drug of choice.

JHoersten2... I've heard bad things about using Vasaline in chapstick (homemade), so I've always been cautious of it. This does not mean I am oblivious to the fact that there are terrible ingredients in chapstick as well!

TheMaidOfAstolat... Thank you. I think if I used something more natural (thus, more expensive), I would probably use it less as well!!

NoAdditives... Thanks for the suggestion!

carolynmittens... Thanks for your story! It really is a habit!! I can't imagine going for 2 months without it (not even ONE day). If I was stuck on a deserted island, the one thing I would need would be chapstick!

Jain... More suggestions! Thank you!