Feel like crud--from a muffin?

Options
Ok guys, input requested. We went out for brunch after the meeting this morning. I had already ate breakfast this morning but decided to get a blueberry muffin. They looked so good, and I thought that it might be rude to not eat if everyone else was, too. I figured the muffin was healthy and could count as part of my lunch, too.

Sooooooooo, I got this muffin, which ended up being HUGE, and ate it. Tried to figure out the calories for it, which by using MFP I figure was about 465!! YIKES!!:noway: Now it is my whole lunch and not just part of it.

Then, about 30 minutes ago, a couple hours after eating it, I'm starting to feel bad. Stomach making noises, head hurting a little, just feeling like general crud.

Is there enough "bad" stuff in a muffin--I always thought they were healthy!--to upset my body now that I'm used to "good" stuff?

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, input requested. We went out for brunch after the meeting this morning. I had already ate breakfast this morning but decided to get a blueberry muffin. They looked so good, and I thought that it might be rude to not eat if everyone else was, too. I figured the muffin was healthy and could count as part of my lunch, too.

Sooooooooo, I got this muffin, which ended up being HUGE, and ate it. Tried to figure out the calories for it, which by using MFP I figure was about 465!! YIKES!!:noway: Now it is my whole lunch and not just part of it.

Then, about 30 minutes ago, a couple hours after eating it, I'm starting to feel bad. Stomach making noises, head hurting a little, just feeling like general crud.

Is there enough "bad" stuff in a muffin--I always thought they were healthy!--to upset my body now that I'm used to "good" stuff?
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I think it definitely depends on the muffin! Compare a homemade carrot muffin, for example, to a sugary blueberry one. I feel fine with bran/carrot/banana, but some muffins make me feel sick
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Muffins are one of those common foods that get mistaken for "healthy". Think of it as a cup cake but with more calories, fat and sugar!

Unless you know a muffin is homemade with whole grains (bran or Whole Wheat), sweetened with apple sauce and low fat. Chances are that you are eating crap that will make you feel so. Also most muffins bought at stores have tons of preservatives which is most likely the real cause of your illness.

P.S. Don't feel rude for being healthy and not part taking in food. I find that most people admire you for putting yourself first.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Well, I never thought of all the bad stuff that could be in there!

I think this is maybe the 2nd muffin I've had my whole life and just thought muffin=healthy

I was even thinking it might be a good breakfast choice to swap things around but the way I feel now, forget it!

Just took a Pepto-bismol--hope it helps.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Feeling much better now! The Pepto helped. AND, I went back and checked my sugar. I had checked it when I got home, as I was curious what that muffin had did to it, and it was 175 about 1.5 hours after eating it. Not great but below 150 2-3 hours after eating is the goal, so I was happy it wasn't higher.

Anyway, just before taking the Pepto, I began to have symptoms of low blood sugar, so went and checked. I had dropped to 61 in less than an hour!

YIKES! e021.gif

I've never dropped that fast like that before and have no idea what happened, unless the first reading was an waaayyyy off for some reason. Anyway, I took Pepto, ate 1/2 an apple, and feel A LOT better now!

Thinking of calling my doctor to discuss possibility of cutting my diabetes med again and see what she says.