Any Asians out there? Let's start a support group!

Options
Hi! My name is Hsin-Hsin ("shing-shing" =) ) and I'm hoping there are some Asians on MFP so we can support and encourage each other!

It is so hard to be Asian and overweight, esp. given cultural norms and esp. around our very Asian parents. =) I imagine that many of us feel like humungous hippos whenever we're visiting Asia, or grew up with complexes about our weight that our parents gave us. My mom definitely made me doubt my attractiveness, and it used to be that every time we talked on the phone, she'd ask directly or indirectly how my weight was, how I was eating, etc. I just turned 36 last week, and my mom still makes occasional comments about it. I'm sure some of you can relate! =) But I do love my mom a lot, and I recognize that at the core, she really wants me to enjoy good health and is looking out for my best interests.

So it would be great to meet other Asians on here so we can cheer for each other along the way, and help each other have a more positive self-image or with any issues related to being overweight and Asian. =) To end on a yummy note, it would also be awesome to swap healthy Asian recipes! (a fabulous suggestion, courtesy of Tiffany here =) )

Looking forward to being friends with you!

Replies

• sabichu
    Options
    I may be the wrong type of Asian but I totally feel for you when it comes to the cultural thing and parents! Een when I go to Bangladesh family are always commenting on how weighty my sisters and I are, it can be really hurtful cos their mentality is different over there. It's fine to be blunt and painfully honest! :( it's given me a kick up the backside though and made my want to prove them wrong, I am not a greedy fat girl! Lol. Good luck with your weightloss.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    a s i a n
  • fitag
    fitag Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Hsin!

Great idea! And I totally agree with what you are saying when the cultural norm is to be petite. I often get comments like "youre not your typical asian are you?" .... because I have a muscular frame and am not at all petite! I may be small but definetly not petite, and know that I never will be and Im ok with that. However I would like to get back to being 55kg.

I have also found it challenging in the past when I have dieted to track food because the types of meals I have are not on the "list" , because of course we, as asians dont have a plate of food where its just our meal, its a dinner table of food that we share and eat a bit of everything.

So I say YAY to your support group and support it! :)

Ag
  • bruhkz_murasaki
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name's Rachel. Add me up :)
  • Lynderz
    Lynderz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Hsin-Hsin ("shing-shing" =) ) and I'm hoping there are some Asians on MFP so we can support and encourage each other!

It is so hard to be Asian and overweight, esp. given cultural norms and esp. around our very Asian parents. =) I imagine that many of us feel like humungous hippos whenever we're visiting Asia, or grew up with complexes about our weight that our parents gave us. My mom definitely made me doubt my attractiveness, and it used to be that every time we talked on the phone, she'd ask directly or indirectly how my weight was, how I was eating, etc. I just turned 36 last week, and my mom still makes occasional comments about it. I'm sure some of you can relate! =) But I do love my mom a lot, and I recognize that at the core, she really wants me to enjoy good health and is looking out for my best interests.

So it would be great to meet other Asians on here so we can cheer for each other along the way, and help each other have a more positive self-image or with any issues related to being overweight and Asian. =) To end on a yummy note, it would also be awesome to swap healthy Asian recipes! (a fabulous suggestion, courtesy of Tiffany here =) )

Looking forward to being friends with you!

Hi all!

I am also Asian (Chinese) and know exactly what you are talking about. My entire life growing up, my parents commented on my weight, saying that Asians are never are big as I am. I went to China last fall to visit family and realized how true that statement really is. Not only was I towering over everyone there (I'm 5'10"), but clearly heavier.

Growing up, my parents owned a Chinese restaurant that served "Canadianized" chinese food, mostly stuff like fried rice, chicken balls, deep fried shrimp etc. So I ended up growing up on this stuff which resulted in my weight gain.

I would love to join a support group with other fellow Asians! =)
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    Hi hi!!! I want in :)

What's everyone's height and goal weight?? How skinny do we really want to be?! Part of me want to keep my curves and the other part desperately wishes I could be 105 like most of my friends/relatives...
  • Kaylieli
    Kaylieli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I can feel you guys. I'm 143 lbs but only 5 ft. It feels impossible to lose weight. Especially I'm short. I feel like even if i eat less. It's not gonna be as easy as the taller people, since I burn significantly less calories. :( (and yes I'm being asian :))
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I am here to support my fellow Asians. We should just eat only Asian food, but with no rice.............................I kid.
  • apen8198
    apen8198 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am new here and need your support as well. Please add me.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm half Japanese, and while I know your pain in some respects, my Japanese grandmother was 5'10 and probably weighed 300 lbs. She was from Japanese aboriginal stock (think sumo). My Grandfather was 4'10 and maybe weighed 85 lbs. >_<

I'm 5'5 and 160ish currently and I'm aiming for about 140. My body fat percentage will be well under 20% by that point, and while I'll never be as *dainty* as my Mom, I'm certainly won't be over weight.

I'm in for the healthy recipes...
  • kchezelle
    kchezelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Asian sensation!
    Feel free to add me, I'm on the road to a healthy lifestyle as well
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    can i join even if i'm not asian
  • moonglowjellyfish
    moonglowjellyfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm Chinese and significantly overweight and most of my friends are super skinny and short. At almost 5'4" I'm one of the tallest girls in my family and am much larger than everyone else >_< I need to lose about 120-130 pounds (which is like losing an entire person of weight). Most of my weight gain occurred when I had some severe asthma episodes resulting in large amounts of steroids that resulted in 30-80 pound weight gains each time. So any motivation and support is great!!
  • danielmaznabi
    danielmaznabi Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always have a difficult maintaining diet, although I may usually encourage and give people diet tips. It's a full time commitment and lifestyle change and definitely an advocate of this group, I'm in !
  • conniecabko
    conniecabko Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Filipina in need of some support. I'm in.
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    lol my mother is always asking or commenting on my weight. Even my older coworker comments on my weight - hey you got fatter! What is it with older Asian folks?
  • mooo92
    mooo92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Shameless bump, besides trying to divide minorities, it'd be nice to relate to a couple of you guys with similar backgrounds
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello people

I just stopped replying to my mum's emails every time I would send a photo she would reply yo say I should diet etc. (I live on the other side of the world) (lol such a bad daughter)

Bonus! Risk factor for diabetes yay (south east) Asians
  • mooo92
    mooo92 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ^haha. I believe this is relevant

*kitten* Asian Moms Say
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HP2escR3qQ

*kitten* Asian Dads Say
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5MJbZ4l4J8
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    ChiffonLaRue14 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump indeed. I am Eurasian genetically but I am technically a Filipina. I grew up being the constant subject of jests and severe rudeness from people. I have been weighing an average of 200~235 lbs my whole adult life. People were cruel but I always ended up messing with them in retaliation lol. I am 5 feet 8 inches in height, I also have an inverted triangle body shape with very broad shoulders. My mother is very critical of my weight still even though I am an adult. She has so many superstituous beliefs like spot reduction. Nowadays, I am trying to become healthier because I got tired of being fat lol and I want to be there for my son as long as I can... and fashion is the healthiest motivation for losing weight ;)