Spicy foods and metabolism...

Options
mholmes
mholmes Posts: 949 Member
So, I forgot to bring a lunch today but was craving something a little different anyway and will just have my Smart One's for dinner.... Anyway I got some chips and salsa from my fav lil mexican rest. cause I thought I heard spicy foods up your metabolism and corn chips are better than fries or potato chips I would have gotten somewhere else... Can anyone bust or confirm the spicy food myth?

Replies

• mholmes
    Options
    So, I forgot to bring a lunch today but was craving something a little different anyway and will just have my Smart One's for dinner.... Anyway I got some chips and salsa from my fav lil mexican rest. cause I thought I heard spicy foods up your metabolism and corn chips are better than fries or potato chips I would have gotten somewhere else... Can anyone bust or confirm the spicy food myth?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

confirm, kinda, spicey foods can raise the metabolism slightly, but not really enough to make much difference. this is based on studies. But most of them couldn't find it incontrovertable, and most didn't see a dramatic increase, just a very slight one.

I wouldn't count on it for weight loss of any kind, it's just kind of a good trivia fact to know.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Its true!
    Here's a whole list of thermogenic foods (foods that boost the metabolism):
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/245442-thermogenic-foods-spices-help-burn-fat.html

Note that spicy foods trick the body into thinking its in pain due to the active chemicals and "burning" sensation. This causes the body to release endorphins, which cause pleasure. This can actually lead to spicy foods being addictive - but in a healthy way.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13418172.800-science-spicy-food-eaters-are-addicted-to-pain-.html
  • mholmes
    Options
    Its true!
    Here's a whole list of thermogenic foods (foods that boost the metabolism):
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/245442-thermogenic-foods-spices-help-burn-fat.html

Note that spicy foods trick the body into thinking its in pain due to the active chemicals and "burning" sensation. This causes the body to release endorphins, which cause pleasure. This can actually lead to spicy foods being addictive - but in a healthy way.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13418172.800-science-spicy-food-eaters-are-addicted-to-pain-.html
    I read the pleasure part and thought "well that explains my addiction" then I read the addiction part :laugh: I am very sensitive ti spices, just regular black pepper burns my mouth for hours so I can't touch it, but there's something about the salsa that makes it bareable (sp?) and sooooo yummy!
  • mholmes
    Options
    I know it's probably not the healthiest thing to eat but this is a process and compared to what I used to eat I don't feel like a complete loser.
    Thanks for your help!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options

My name is Cynthia, and I am an addict. :smokin:

:bigsmile:
  • mholmes
    Options

My name is Cynthia, and I am an addict. :smokin:

:bigsmile:

:laugh: Welcome!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My name is Matthew, and I'm also an addict.

*he says as he finishes his subway sammich with jalepenos and franks red hot*
  • mholmes
    Options

Welcome to you as well sir!

I would like to state though that they saddened me by putting cilantro in the salsa now and ...um... grose! :sick:
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Welcome to you as well sir!

I would like to state though that they saddened me by putting cilantro in the salsa now and ...um... grose! :sick:

As a Texan in particular and a southerner in general let me just say...hush your mouth, cilantro is the best, try it on a taco instead of lettuce...YUM
    OH! I am Amy and I am an addict