This might take a year.

Options
It might take a year or more to lose the weight I'm trying to lose. I need to accept that and move on. I need to commit to slow, steady progress. I need to mentally be prepared for sustaining what I have started.

Yes, yes I know, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet, but to be honest I have a pretty healthy lifestyle. I don't eat processed foods, I don't drink (at least not more than once a month), my calories are always under (but not too far under) and I work out like crazy.

I lose weight soooooooooo slowly. it doesn't seem to matter how much of a calorie deficit there is, I cannot lose more than .5 lb a month. I eat my exercise calories but I don't go overboard. I work out 6 days a week, for an average of 500 calories burned. I do cardio, strength, interval training, yoga and I swim. I manage my sugar levels rigorously and am always under or on target for fat, carbs, sugar and calories. I should be losing a LOT more but I'm not.

And you know what...I'm okay with that.

For whatever reason (perhaps years of bulimia in my 20''s), my body does not respond to the same tactics other people use to lose weight. But even if it takes me three years, I'm going to do this. Just figured I'd say it out loud.

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
    you are on the right train of thought. Just think no matter how slow you are doing it HEALTHY and that's what matters. And you are probably building muscle will it
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you get a lot of exercise. What's your calorie goal set at? It might be time to give it a little bump up. Once I changed my weight loss goal from 2lbs per week to 1lb per week, I started losing weight again.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    that is the best attitude you can possibly hope for. too many people are stuck on the numbers...but if you are commited to doing what is healthiest for you, knowing it will take longer than most, well, sounds like you have won the battle so many others face constantly. in the end, i think you will feel much more impressed with yourself for sticking it out for the long haul, and it will be more likely for this lifestyle to become second nature for you.
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    One day at a time and baby steps. Surgery just got in my way but it won't stop me once I get back on my feet. You've got a great attitude just keep the spirit!!
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Ive got the same mindset , I am in this for the long haul , Im not expecting a quick fix and it hasnt been so far.

Stick with it and you will get there no matter what the time frame is.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude! I started my journey April 2010 and I figured it would take me a year. Well here it is February and I have about 20 pounds to go. I have started trying to think the same way....slow and steady wins the race (I hope)!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    It took me a year to lose 30 pounds. The weight came off REALLY slowly for me in the beginning too. I think .5 pound every couple of weeks was what I was doing too. I was also a very clean eater, not really a drinker and a big exerciser, (6 days a week, 400-500 cals a day). Turns out I was under eating, (even though I was eating 1200 + 50% exercise cals) and I wasn't doing enough strength training, almost all cardio. Once I bumped my cals up and added more strength, (P90X) the weight started to fall off.

Anyway, I just kept my brain in the same mode that you are, "keep going, keep going". I figured eventually it would have to happen and I would just have to be patient. So, congratulations on having your brain in the right spot. that is TRULY the biggest part of the battle, especially for someone who fought an ED, (been there too).

Add me if you like ;-)
  • Olona
    Olona Posts: 70
    Options
    It might take a year or more to lose the weight I'm trying to lose. I need to accept that and move on. I need to commit to slow, steady progress. I need to mentally be prepared for sustaining what I have started.

Yes, yes I know, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet, but to be honest I have a pretty healthy lifestyle. I don't eat processed foods, I don't drink (at least not more than once a month), my calories are always under (but not too far under) and I work out like crazy.

I lose weight soooooooooo slowly. it doesn't seem to matter how much of a calorie deficit there is, I cannot lose more than .5 lb a month. I eat my exercise calories but I don't go overboard. I work out 6 days a week, for an average of 500 calories burned. I do cardio, strength, interval training, yoga and I swim. I manage my sugar levels rigorously and am always under or on target for fat, carbs, sugar and calories. I should be losing a LOT more but I'm not.

And you know what...I'm okay with that.

For whatever reason (perhaps years of bulimia in my 20''s), my body does not respond to the same tactics other people use to lose weight. But even if it takes me three years, I'm going to do this. Just figured I'd say it out loud.

Thats the right state of mind! But set a goal for yourself you know something that'll get you working out because you wanna look good for that particular event. (Even if its just a sexy evening with your husband and a new little outfit you wanna wear.)
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Here's my story - maybe it will help. :bigsmile: I lost 65 pounds back in 2001 - 2002, and then put most of it back on, very gradually. :grumble: Now, I have lost about 40 pounds since January 2010. I have been on a bit of a plateau for the past couple of months - gained a couple pounds over the holidays :drinker: ..then struggled to lose a pound over 2 -3 weeks, then gained a half pound back, etc, etc. BUT when I think about it, the important thing is that I have gone all these months without gaining. I would still like to lose 5 -10 pounds, but at least I have broken that pattern of GAINING 5 pounds every year. That really is an accomplishment that I am proud of.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am on a long term journey here too... I've lost just over 1/4 of what I need to lose and it took 9 months to do that. I seem to lose weight really slowly too. Feel free to friend me if you want!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this completely.. I joined here last year but it took me until the end of June to really committ to logging consistently. From July to January, I lost pretty much weekly - small stall's here and there but overall, I felt like I would just lose and lose and oh-my-goodness-I-better-be-careful-and-not-lose-too-much.. but then January came and boom - brick wall. And I remember, years ago when I was doing WW, that this is the exact same weight I was when I hit the wall then. The difference is that this time, I am more aware. It may take me another year to get to my goal.. it may be a lifelong dream but I have already accomplished so much and I am proud of that. This is my new lifestyle.. I will have good days and bad days .. I will continue to learn new tricks and methods of staying on track. And I will be happy with me.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this post from you. And you're absolutely right, and you've got the correct attitude to approaching weight loss and not just losing it but being able to keep it off. I am so on board with this as well. I've finally gotten it through my head that this is the best way, the only way it will work for me, to do it. Thank you for sharing this today. ♥
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    slow and steady = sustainable! go you!
  • mariabrophy
    Options
    It's great that you know your body enough to realize how long it's going to take you, and you are accepting of that. AND you are committed.

Everything we do for ourselves that is good, takes time and habit. I've been working on my writing skills for a few years now, and I make it a habit to write everyday, even if just for ten minutes, though I shoot for 60.

Since eating healthy and exercising is now a habit and a way of life for you, you are on autopilot and just like saving money in the bank, one day a year from now you'll look in the mirror and say "yeah, this is what I've been wanting!"

One other thing: Maybe there's something else you could try that you haven't looked into yet. Have you read the Four Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss? He has written about some scientific innovative methods of fat reduction, muscle building, etc. I've been hearing a lot about it lately.

Your commitment is inspiring!!!!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you get a lot of exercise. What's your calorie goal set at? It might be time to give it a little bump up. Once I changed my weight loss goal from 2lbs per week to 1lb per week, I started losing weight again.

Good question -- I just looked at my goals again and I'm on target to lose 1.3lbs / week but I'm nowhere near that. That puts at about 1340 calories per day. I wonder if I should change it to 1lb per week?
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to say, thank you so much for the supportive words! It means a lot. I know I'll be coming back to this thread often to reread what people have said whenever I need a little encouragement boost.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great attitude and that will make you successful in the long term. I'm struggling with the same thing. I work out like crazy, don't eat processed food, stay within my calorie range, etc. Still, I find I'm losing weight really slowly. While everyone around me is losing 2-3 pounds a week and has lost 15-20+ since New Years, I work out harder and longer and have only lost 6.5 pounds in 3 months (Although, I just started using MFP about 3 weeks ago). In the past I've gotten mad and stressed out about how unfair it is, but now I've decided I just have to keep at it and not compare myself to others. It is what it is, right?

Anyhow, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. You definitely aren't alone! Keep it up!

Good question -- I just looked at my goals again and I'm on target to lose 1.3lbs / week but I'm nowhere near that. That puts at about 1340 calories per day. I wonder if I should change it to 1lb per week?

I just changed my goals to lose 1 pound a week. I'm curious to see if this helps. I'm also going to get a new HRM. But whatever happens, I'll never throw in the towel.
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at a MINIMUM of 3 years to lose what I need to lose. Now granted I have a LOT to lose, but it will take a very long time, I lose slowly and can't do a lot of exercising. Your attitude really helps me understand more about myself......I started this journey in October, although I didn't join here until after Christmas. I am determined to lose this weight, and determined to feel as well as possible while doing it NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES! You see, last October, after months of feeling terrible, unable to exercise, fatigue, and at that time weighing the most I have ever weighed in my life.......I was diagnosed with MS. Now I have to get this weight off.....very slowly because I have to watch my autoimmune system, doing what I can as far as exercise, and facing the fact that someday I may be in a wheelchair or completely bedridden. No way do I want someone to have to take care of me or move me at the size I am now! Not only am I doing this for me, but for my family that may have to take care of me someday!