heart rate monitors

ashleyjea1985
ashleyjea1985 Posts: 190
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
im not sure how many calories im losing at all my gym classes..

i was told to get a heart rate monitor..

how do you they work? i just start it at the begining of my workout and at the end it tells me the calories? do i need a wrist one or one that goes on ur chest?

can you tell me what kind to by or a link to a good one..... walmart is right nex tto me i can guy it tomrrow?

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    I just got an polar ft4. Its pretty cool. It has a chest strap and wrist band. Tells me my heart rate and calories burned. I think the combo is important. It was about $90. I would look at wal mart if they have a chest strap wrist band combo it'd be worth a try. I understand some can be confusing, the polar was pretty easy to figure out.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    The chest strap ones work the best. Ive bought one ( Polar FT4) recently and it seems to work fine. It does give a different reading to what the gym equipment says.
    My one I load in my weight and age and from there it does the calculations.

each session I start it at the begining of my work out. It shows me my heart rate as i train.

I find it a very handy tool

Others may give a more indepth comment on how it works
  • definitely get one that has a chest strap as well as a wrist watch. I have the Sportline brand, (my boyfriend has had his for more than a year now and it's still working great) I bought the one for women (just means that the watch itself is smaller as well as the chest strap, since typically women have smaller rib cages and wrists). I have heard polar is great as well. The most important thing is that you have the chest strap, this will give you the most accurate information. Also don't forget to go in and adjust the weight as you lose, or it will not give you accurate calories burned, since it will be calculating at a higher weight. (not necessary to do every pound but once you are getting 5 and 10 pounds lost it will make a difference). Good luck and happy exercising, I know you are going to love the heart rate monitor, you will be amazed at how inaccurate most "guesstimates" are on calories burned whether it be information from machines or online calculations.

Have a beautiful and healthy day
    Kim
  • Here's a link to check out:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

They range in price from about $50 to several hundred.

The most basic (and least expensive) monitors track the time of your workout and your average HR. You can then calculate the calories burned using an online calculator:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

If you use the exercise machines (stationary bikes, ellipticals, etc), many of them work with the heart rate monitor and will compute your calories.
  • I cant wait for the newer LED ones to hit the market, chest straps annoy me and the watch types are so inaccurate :angry:
This discussion has been closed.