Will red wine help my heart?

Options
Is it just a myth or is it real, that red wine is actually good for you (in moderation, of course).

My father was recently diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease (I know it's a somewhat generalization) and apparently it is "hereditary". Other than diet and exercise, which I am now doing, will the red wine help decrease the risk of Heart Disease? So far it certainly has been a great excuse to drink it!

Replies

• Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It is true, but you can get the same benefits from red grape juice without some of the negative effects of the alcohol.

TTFN,
    R
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    yea its something to do with the red juice from the grape.... however I am keeping that info away from my wife. like the vino to much
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's a 50/50 kind of thing. There are compounds in red wine that, all other things being equal, have a beneficial health effect. But the effect is mild - and it is undercut by other aspects that can have a negative health effect, such as the alcohol in wine, and the sugar in red grape juice.

If your dad has CAD, then his situation is beyond any effects red wine could provide. If he wants to switch from beer or hard liquor to red wine, then that would be an improvement - but only because there is basically NO benefit to drinking the others.

If your father wants to try and tackle the CAD through diet as well as medications, have him check out Dr. Dean Ornish's eating regimen. His diet has been proven by studies to reverse heart disease in a number of patients. It's a pretty severe eating regimen, but if it works - it works.