30 Day Shred ... Day of Recovery?

Options
I'm doing the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and I was SO sore yesterday, and I woke up this morning and my calves are on fire. Anyone who's done the Shred, did you give your body a day of recovery or did you do 30 days straight?

Replies

• CarthagoDelendaEst
    Options
    I worked through the pain, no rest day. Believe me, I was tempted, my whole body was sore and I could hardly walk...

The pain will go, I'm now 12 days in and not feeling sore :-)
  • PepsiGal
    PepsiGal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I started, I did take recovery days, about every other day. I didn't do it for 30 days straight, more like 3-4 times a week. It takes longer than 30 days but it's better to go at your own pace when you start out.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I did it four days in a row and yesterday I just had to rest. I have never hurt so bad in my life! I walk like I have a stick shoved up my booty. I winced when my feet touch the ground. I am still hurting so bad but I am going to try it again tonight. It's probably better to rest every other day- the workout can't be as effective if you can't do the moves because you hurt so bad.
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ive taken one recovery day and was like new for the next workout. Do what you think is best. I feel it while im working out but not the next day anymore which is great! I can sit down and walk without pain. :happy:
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start L3 tomorrow. I have done it for 5 or 6 days a week. Yes I'm still sore in my knees but I'm working thru it.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I did the video for the first time yesterday and I was all prepared to wake up this morning in horrible pain but I was not in too much pain. I think people start an exercise program with way to much gusto and end up hurting themselves. Yesterday I paid attention to proper form and did somewhere between what the beginner girl was doing and what the advanced girl was doing. I listened to my body. I just completed day 2 and also walked on the treadmill for an additional 37 minutes and I feel great. Per my HRM I burned more than I did yesterday during the video. Of course I have been exercising before this which mostly consists of brisk walking. If you are just starting exercising at all definitely modify the moves or you will regret it.

Wren
  • dancinggirl81
    dancinggirl81 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've just completed day-8, I was super sore in my arms/shoulders after the first few days. I've been pulling through with no break-day and I'm no longer sore. Trust me, it was hard to forget the pain on that 3rd day!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and give it a day or two to recover. All those muscles need time to rebuild. If you want to workout, switch to something else, work on different part of the body. Try doing some walking or Yoga (not Jillian's Yoga meltdown, something more relax). You body will get to a point recover much faster after awhile. Load up with some proteins to help muscles recover.
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    OMG That DVD is sitting on my desk..... now Im scared to do it!
  • atomdraco
    Options
    I did it four days in a row and yesterday I just had to rest. I have never hurt so bad in my life! I walk like I have a stick shoved up my booty. I winced when my feet touch the ground. I am still hurting so bad but I am going to try it again tonight. It's probably better to rest every other day- the workout can't be as effective if you can't do the moves because you hurt so bad.

I was so sore and hardly can move up/down stairs after my very first time started a serious workout after many years. It took my body 2-3 days to get back to more comfortable state. After that, my body has been recovery itself in much faster pace.
  • atomdraco
    Options
    OMG That DVD is sitting on my desk..... now Im scared to do it!

Try it! It's good. I tried Jillian's Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism last night. OMG, talking about working the muscles that I don't get used to... But I'm sure want to go back soon
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 days straight, no recovery. I work through the soreness & it actually helps my muscles relax. I was SUPER sore the other day & i did a workout through it and felt completely fine the next morning.
  • busygirl1
    Options
    Hi, I am on Level 2 and have taken a couple of rest days just because life has got in the way! I do feel like I perform better after a rest day but don't take them intentionally. Try doing it for 3-4 days, often you get more stiff if you rest and actually feel better if you work through it. I do think that its missing a good standing calf stretch so I add my own at the end and that has helped. I have already had some loss of cm's from my waist so its worth it!!! Good luck x x x
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the shred March 1st and going to attempt to do it the 30 days, no recovery.
  • KristaPFT
    Options
    Ive been really sore before after doing something similar but thats normal. If it lasts more than 3 days of straight OMG soreness then take a break because that means you are overtraining and it will actually hurt your results more than help you. I hope this helps...and good luck! :)
  • Katymom22
    Options
    I was also VERY sore but found after about day 5 straight I wasn't so sore anymore. if you want the best results you should do it straight through.
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6 of Level 1. So far I've done it straight through. I even did it twice one day. I've found that I need to stretch more after her cool down. I don't think those 2 minutes are enough. I spend more time doing each of the stretches she does, and then I add some different ones also. It feels a lot better.
  • llstrength
    llstrength Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Next month I think I'm going to do 30 day shred for 30 days straight, and also do Banish Fat boost Metabolism every other day.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    When I started, I did take recovery days, about every other day. I didn't do it for 30 days straight, more like 3-4 times a week. It takes longer than 30 days but it's better to go at your own pace when you start out.

I'm going to start tomorrow . . how were your results?
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Next month I think I'm going to do 30 day shred for 30 days straight, and also do Banish Fat boost Metabolism every other day.

OMG! You are brave! I did 30 Day Shred & BFBM in one day & I thought I was going to die! :laugh: